Freightliner brakes

divspec1

Expert Expediter
I have had several FL-70's , and now have a 2004 M2. On all of these trucks it seems that if you have to get on the brakes a little harder than usaul stopping you hear a clunk in the driver side front wheel and truck pulls hard to driver side. Does anybody know exactly what it is that causes this? I am sure its normal(well for Freightliner a lot of things that are questionable are normal) as that is the only time it will do it, just curious if anybody else ever noticed?

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
This is a common complaint to all trucks. Most mechanics will tell you that the noise is the spring hangers and spring racking or shifting. Sometimes it makes a popping sound. If you run heavy front end weights it makes the problem even worse. Check your spring eyes for grease problems and tightness. I always ask that the front end is jacked up to grease kingpins and spring shackles. No one ever complained of being over greased and most shops will gladly wipe off excessive grease. Good luck and get that front end inspected. Small problem today is cheap to fix, let it go and it could cost you big bucks.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with Glen. Most of the time the noise you are decribing is coming from the springs. The only concern I would have is a hard pull to your drivers side. It would be to your advantage to find a dealer who has a suspension machine. Diagnostic costs are around $200.00 with that usually being applied to the repair. With the hard right pull, it in adddition to springs & kingpins, could be the brakes or an issue with the bearings.
I would check it out because any pulls like that might give you more than a challenge in winter weather.
Davekc

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
A "clunk" or "pop" from the area of the front suspension under harder than normal stopping MAY be somewhat normal on any brand of truck, but pulling to either side is not! The problem could be simply adjustment, or something like a wheel seal failing that allows the shoes to become contaminated which will cause grabbing/pulling.

Having spent the last 30+ years as a Certified Master Truck Technician, I advise you to have the brakes checked out, PRONTO!

This week I started working for a logistics co. here in N.E. Ohio in order to get some feel for the expediting business. My first run was to VA via I-76 with a 24' straight truck. I would have hated to do that highway with anything less than solid-straight-line-stopping brakes!

Rex

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Mine does the same thing. Once I hear the pop, though, my brakes lock. Luckily, I'm almost completely stopped when that happens. I agree that you have to put more pressure on them, but it's a fine line till you get the pop n slide.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Yes I too have the problem on my FL70 and FL80. No pulling though that does not seem right. One of mine also locks up once you really apply the pressure and the other does not. I have no idea but anytime I have had to do it the next thing I did was get stopped and be sure the underwear was still in good shape. Whew! A couple times I though a bigger POP was next but it has always worked out. Thank the Lord.raceman

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am only posting this here because it is a safety issue, and I know what is one cause of this on Freightliner business class trucks (FL 50,60,70,80, M2), Centuries, Columbias, and FLD tractors, any Freightliner with the Rockwell/Arvin Meritor FF-961 12k front axle.
Have a professional retorque the front suspension spring shackles. The one that comes loose is usually the driver side one on the front, at or near the steering gear. The pop noise is the shackle hitting the frame when the brakes are hit as it is loose. Also causes the steering pull, for obvious reasons, and front end misalignment. The springs have to be dropped for this job, as there is a bolt underneath that has to be torqued also, these must be torqued under heavy air impact. Freightliner never issued a recall on this for reasons I don't understand, as it is not a high cost thing to check or correct, yet effects safety of the trucks.
-Weave-