Fox News, the Dominion Lawsuit, and the Big Lie

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What they are talking about is frivolous nonsense.
If that was the case, Dominion would not be claiming damages over $1 billion, and the case would not be anywhere near court. And the Fox personnel who were deposed would not have been deposed. And the rulings that allowed Dominion to access Fox's internal records would have never been allowed by Fox.

Not frivolous. Not nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: danthewolf00

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If that was the case, Dominion would not be claiming damages over $1 billion, and the case would not be anywhere near court. And the Fox personnel who were deposed would not have been deposed. And the rulings that allowed Dominion to access Fox's internal records would have never been allowed by Fox.

Not frivolous. Not nonsense.
It’s telling that they don’t want to talk about Tucker. He had Sydney Powell on his show. He also publicly criticized her on a subsequent show and questioned her facts. So whatever their skepticism was about the election being stolen and what role the machines had privately, Tucker publicly questioned and criticized her comments.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It’s telling that they don’t want to talk about Tucker.
We don't know if they want to talk about Tucker or not. He is a witness. If he's called to testify, they'll be talking about him quite a bit.

The thing about "It's telling," is it depends on whose listening and what the listener hears. I'm not interested in what's telling or not telling. I'm interested in what actually happens in the real world. And in this case, we learn what that is by following the developments in the case. If no settlement is reached, trial begins tomorrow.

What does it mean that trial starts tomorrow? What's telling about that? It's telling that trial starts tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Haha

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Trial Issues

"The [FOX] network 'intentionally and falsely' blamed Dominion for former President Donald Trump’s loss to President Joe Biden by broadcasting unsubstantiated claims about the company, including that it meddled with vote tallies, Dominion alleged.

"Fox has maintained that the statements made about Dominion on its air are protected by the First Amendment, which shields the freedoms of speech and press. The network also argued that Dominion’s suit does not establish that the claims were aired with “actual malice,” a requirement to meet the legal standard for defamation."

"One piece of the lawsuit has already been decided: Judge Eric Davis last month ruled that the statements flagged by Dominion were, indeed, false. 'The evidence developed in this civil proceeding demonstrates that is CRYSTAL clear that none of the Statements relating to Dominion about the 2020 election are true,' Davis wrote.

"His ruling clarified that the trial jury will determine who is responsible for publishing the false claims, and if those people acted with actual malice. That legal standard means proving that the claims were published with the knowledge they were false, or with reckless disregard for the truth."
(Source)

• Haha
Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why do Leftists always want to silence speech that they disagree with?
So in its absence, they can can advance their lies unencumbered.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So in its absence, they can can advance their lies unencumbered.
Why do Republicans want to ban books they disagree with?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Interesting question but off topic in this thread. In this thread, the appropriate question would be, "Did Fox News defame Dominion?"

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Interesting question but off topic in this thread. In this thread, the appropriate question would be, "Did Fox News defame Dominion?"
No, they only had guests with comments similar to what politicians( on the Left) and even their own employees have said previously.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
No, they only had guests with comments similar to what politicians( on the Left) and even their own employees have said previously.
That's what you say and what Fox is arguing. How is that working for them so far?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Those are the facts. It’s on tape. Are these people lying? Yes or no?

Again off topic. The people on the tape have nothing to do with the Fox/Dominion case. About the case, I'm just sitting back to see what develops. When something factual develops in that case, that's of interest to me. I'm less interested in discussing random topics only tangentially related.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Again off topic. The people on the tape have nothing to do with the Fox/Dominion case. About the case, I'm just sitting back to see what develops. When something factual develops in that case, that's of interest to me. I'm less interested in discussing random topics only tangentially related.
I knew it would a be a deflection and not be answered. Those politicians are publicly speaking about the machines. Shouldn’t a news organization be able to air those comments? That’s how it is relevant to the Fox/ Dominion case.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well it looks like Fox decided to give in, they saw the writing on the wall, settled for 787 million.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well it looks like Fox decided to give in, they saw the writing on the wall, settled for 787 million.
Yep. Fox caved.

How much is $787 million to Fox? We can understand it this way.

There is 1,000 million in 1 billion.
At the end of last year, Fox had about $4.1 billion cash on hand.

Bringing it down to more understandable numbers, if you have $4,100 cash on hand and offer to settle your court case by paying $787, you are left with $3,313.

While you're left in reasonably good shape with $3,313 cash on hand, paying out $787 or 19.2% of what you had before will sting. And admitting the reason you had to pay this money to the victim of a crime you committed (defamation) also hurts.

Already, at least one Fox shareholder is suing Fox . He claims that by broadcasting lies in a way that defamed Dominion, and thereby opened Fox to that liability, which in turn harmed shareholders, How do we know shareholders were harmed. The $787 million payout makes that clear. I have no idea how that suit will turn out, but it's an example of what the Dominion lawyer said: "Lies have consequences."

I'm sure we'll hear more about the settlement terms. I'm interested to see what kind of admissions and retractions, if any, Fox will be required to broadcast as part of the settlement.

It was amusing to see the photo of the Dominion people all smiles as they walked out of court. Fox defamed Dominion and was held accountable for doing so.

What's next for Dominion? The cases they are also pursuing just got a lot stronger because the Fox case settled.

"Dominion may have settled this suit, but its legal pursuits are far from over. The company still has defamation suits related to allegations of election fraud pending against Fox competitors Newsmax and OAN, as well as against the MyPillow chief executive Mike Lindell, Overstock.com founder Patrick Byrne, and against Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell, both former lawyers for Donald J. Trump." (Source)

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I knew it would a be a deflection and not be answered. Those politicians are publicly speaking about the machines. Shouldn’t a news organization be able to air those comments? That’s how it is relevant to the Fox/ Dominion case.
The difference is not statements about the machines reported as news. The difference is defamation and malice. You are comparing apples and oranges.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm sure we'll hear more about the settlement terms. I'm interested to see what kind of admissions and retractions, if any, Fox will be required to broadcast as part of the settlement.
I have my answer. Under the terms of the settlement, Fox News will not be required to apologize or admit spreading false claims on network programing.