Fox News, the Dominion Lawsuit, and the Big Lie

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm replying to muttly's comment here because the topic deserves a thread of its own.
The Left is freaking out about Tucker.
It's not without good reason the left (and others) are freaking out about Tucker Carlson. As evidence and testimony from the Dominion case becomes public, it is clear Carlson (and others at Fox) did not believe the election was stolen, and they viewed their guests who were promoting that lie with contempt. Tucker himself said in private he hates Trump. But, in the interests of maintaining audience size by telling his viewers what they want to hear, he continues to promote Trump and the big lie on the air.

Conservatives who rely on Fox for their news do not know different because Fox is not reporting on the Dominion lawsuit.

People "are freaking about about Tucker" because this kind of hypocrisy is infuriating. And the lies he continues to tell with his huge-platform, bully pulpit mislead the people and are thereby genuinely harmful to the country.

• Haha
Reactions: danthewolf00

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No real surprise to me, all news corporations are the same, the truth does not matter, its keeping people watching so they can sell more commercials.

Now lets see how the Trumpers justify this......

ATeam

Retired Expediter
No real surprise to me, all news corporations are the same, the truth does not matter, its keeping people watching so they can sell more commercials.
But there is a real difference with the Dominion case. Dominion is able to demonstrate both that they suffered genuine harm (very high damages that can be quantified monetarily) from what Fox News reported, and that Fox News knew what they were reporting was false. That's why the Dominion lawsuit has not been dismissed. The evidence against Fox is amazingly clear, making this defamation case possible and credible.

The "left" news organizations (MSNBC, CNN, etc.) did not broadcast the lies about Dominion Fox did. That's why Fox is facing Dominion in court as the defendant, and why the others are not.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For those who may not know:

"Dominion's briefs previously revealed that top figures at Fox News privately blasted election fraud claims as 'crazy' and 'insane,' even as the network aired them on television, and that top boss Murdoch considered some of Trump's voter fraud claims to be 'bulls--- and damaging' yet acknowledged in a deposition that he did nothing to rein in hosts who were promoting the bogus claims in the days after the 2020 election." (Source)

Carlson: ""I hate him [Trump] passionately. ... I can’t handle much more of this" (Source)

Carlson & Ingraham: “Sidney Powell is lying by the way. I caught her. It’s insane,” Mr. Carlson wrote to Ms. Ingraham on Nov. 18, 2020. Ms. Ingraham responded: “Sidney is a complete nut. No one will work with her. Ditto with Rudy.” (Source)

Regarding Hannity: "Two years later, he was asked about Powell’s theory in a seven-hour deposition that was reportedly shared during a court hearing earlier this week as part of the Dominion lawsuit: 'I did not believe it for one second,' he said under oath. (Source)

"Murdoch wrote that Trump and Giuliani were 'both increasingly mad' -- using the British expression for 'crazy' -- in an email whose contents were read during a deposition taken as part of the lawsuit." (Source)

From Murdoch's deposition on this: “Have you ever believed that Dominion was engaged in a massive and coordinated effort to steal the 2020 presidential election?” the Dominion lawyer asked. “No,” Murdoch replied. (Source)

There is more but this is the gist.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I'm replying to muttly's comment here because the topic deserves a thread of its own.

It's not without good reason the left (and others) are freaking out about Tucker Carlson. As evidence and testimony from the Dominion case becomes public, it is clear Carlson (and others at Fox) did not believe the election was stolen, and they viewed their guests who were promoting that lie with contempt. Tucker himself said in private he hates Trump. But, in the interests of maintaining audience size by telling his viewers what they want to hear, he continues to promote Trump and the big lie on the air.

Conservatives who rely on Fox for their news do not know different because Fox is not reporting on the Dominion lawsuit.

People "are freaking about about Tucker" because this kind of hypocrisy is infuriating. And the lies he continues to tell with his huge-platform, bully pulpit mislead the people and are thereby genuinely harmful to the country.

And yet the left talking punters lie to their viewers all the time.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A few random thoughts:

Fox may not be reporting on the Dominion lawsuit because they're directly involved in the litigation. It could be their lawyers have told them to stay silent. Regardless, we've heard the NBC version of what's going on and the quotes from private communications between Carlson et al. Now it would be only fair to hear their response to these reports about their "true" opinions. It could be that these Fox personalities didn't like Trump personally, but considered him to be the better of the two candidates. After living through the first two years of the Biden presidency, it's pretty obvious who produced positive results and who hasn't.

The favored candidate of MSNBC, CNN, NBC, etc. won the election; that's why they're not facing Dominion in the ongoing lawsuit.

The angst over the Fox News call for Biden in AZ on election was not due to it being ultimately correct - it was because they called it too early, while the polls were still open there.

Why didn't the legacy media erupt with a similar outrage over the Russia Collusion hoax that was proven to be a "big lie" that they reported as factual for two years in a collaborative effort to overturn a certified presidential election?

Who wants to bet that Fox News and Dominion will settle this lawsuit, neither will admit wrongdoing, and life will go on?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A few random thoughts:

Fox may not be reporting on the Dominion lawsuit because they're directly involved in the litigation.
I kinda think they are directly involved in the litigation. It is Fox News that is being sued and responding in court. The company owner Rupert Murdoch, Hannity, Carlson and others are being deposed. They are directly involved.
It could be their lawyers have told them to stay silent.
Perhaps so.

Regardless, we've heard the NBC version of what's going on and the quotes from private communications between Carlson et al.
We've also seen the official court document which are now public record.
Now it would be only fair to hear their response to these reports about their "true" opinions.
Their opinions given under oath would seem to me to be their true opinions.
It could be that these Fox personalities didn't like Trump personally, but considered him to be the better of the two candidates. After living through the first two years of the Biden presidency, it's pretty obvious who produced positive results and who hasn't.
Biden has a track record, just as Trump did, so yes, it is obvious if you go by things that are factually verifiable like the bills signed, documented policy changes made, spending cuts made, etc.
The favored candidate of MSNBC, CNN, NBC, etc. won the election; that's why they're not facing Dominion in the ongoing lawsuit.
They are not facing Dominion because they did not defame Dominion like Fox news did. Had MSNBC, CNN, NBC, etc defamed Dominion, Dominion would have likely sued them too. The issue before the court is defamation; namely lies told about Dominion by Fox. The other news organizations you named did not tell those lies.
The angst over the Fox News call for Biden in AZ on election was not due to it being ultimately correct - it was because they called it too early, while the polls were still open there.
OK. But the issue I'm talking about is a different issue.
Why didn't the legacy media erupt with a similar outrage over the Russia Collusion hoax that was proven to be a "big lie" that they reported as factual for two years in a collaborative effort to overturn a certified presidential election?
Partisan bias?
Who wants to bet that Fox News and Dominion will settle this lawsuit, neither will admit wrongdoing, and life will go on?
That's a really good question. Numerous commentators have asked that very thing. Why have the parties not settled already? When news organizations get sued for defamation and the case against them is strong, they typically settle. But not Fox in this case. Why not? Some have said most news organizations would have settled long before the top company owner was deposed. But no settlement.

We can only speculate about the reasons. I speculate that the dollar amount is so high ($1.6 billion) and the evidence is so strong that Dominion knows Fox does not have a prayer in court and they will persist to both cash in and get what they want from Fox (public retractions widely and repeatedly broadcast). I further speculate that Murdoch has not settled because the terms Dominion are demanding are too steep.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here's an update on the case. We'll see action on this fairly soon.

"Tuesday brought another 'document dump' in the highly watched Dominion Voting Systems v. Fox News defamation case. The lawsuit is set to go to trial in April. But before a jury is even seated, the parties are racing toward a March 21 summary judgment hearing that could decide the case in Dominion’s favor without a trial.

"In preparation for that hearing, a judge has unsealed hundreds of exhibits, composed of thousands of pages of texts, emails, documents and correspondence, almost all of which seem (at least to [this columnist]) to support Dominion’s claims that from the top of the corporation to the bottom, its owners, executives, hosts, anchors, producers and even fact-checkers knew that Donald Trump lost the 2020 presidential election and that there was no credible evidence of election fraud." (Source)

Last edited:

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
No credible evidence lol they have called everything Russian disinformation that does not fit their narrative......Democrats lied or withheld information just long enough to get past the mid term elections because I bet the mid term would have been totally different if the public knew about Biden's classified documents and hunter Biden's laptop.
The Democrats do not want anyone to question the 2020 election....and it makes me go WHY? Why block any audit and sue board of election officials for asking questions.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

So what? Having people on opinion news shows that have opposing points of view from the host is common. Those people were associated with the candidate challenging the election results. It’s still news. Tucker previously had Adam Schiff and Eric Swallwel on his show who made claims about Russia collusion. He didn’t agree with them also, but let them voice their views, unfounded as they were. They are both congressmen, so their comments are news. He has also invited them back on his show multiple times, but they have declined. Tucker doesn’t agree with them, but that’s not the reason to ban someone from his show.
Can you name a specific lie that Tucker himself told his audience?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I kinda think they are directly involved in the litigation. It is Fox News that is being sued and responding in court. The company owner Rupert Murdoch, Hannity, Carlson and others are being deposed. They are directly involved.

Perhaps so.

We've also seen the official court document which are now public record.

Their opinions given under oath would seem to me to be their true opinions.

Biden has a track record, just as Trump did, so yes, it is obvious if you go by things that are factually verifiable like the bills signed, documented policy changes made, spending cuts made, etc.

They are not facing Dominion because they did not defame Dominion like Fox news did. Had MSNBC, CNN, NBC, etc defamed Dominion, Dominion would have likely sued them too. The issue before the court is defamation; namely lies told about Dominion by Fox. The other news organizations you named did not tell those lies.

OK. But the issue I'm talking about is a different issue.

Partisan bias?

That's a really good question. Numerous commentators have asked that very thing. Why have the parties not settled already? When news organizations get sued for defamation and the case against them is strong, they typically settle. But not Fox in this case. Why not? Some have said most news organizations would have settled long before the top company owner was deposed. But no settlement.

We can only speculate about the reasons. I speculate that the dollar amount is so high ($1.6 billion) and the evidence is so strong that Dominion knows Fox does not have a prayer in court and they will persist to both cash in and get what they want from Fox (public retractions widely and repeatedly broadcast). I further speculate that Murdoch has not settled because the terms Dominion are demanding are too steep.
At least some of those “ news” organizations have reported on Dominion in the past and the concerns with their system, as have a good amount of Dem politicians who voiced their problems with them.
I mean, Dems were against Dominion before they were for them.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's an update on the case. We'll see action on this fairly soon.

"Tuesday brought another 'document dump' in the highly watched Dominion Voting Systems v. Fox News defamation case. The lawsuit is set to go to trial in April. But before a jury is even seated, the parties are racing toward a March 21 summary judgment hearing that could decide the case in Dominion’s favor without a trial.

"In preparation for that hearing, a judge has unsealed hundreds of exhibits, composed of thousands of pages of texts, emails, documents and correspondence, almost all of which seem (at least to [this columnist]) to support Dominion’s claims that from the top of the corporation to the bottom, its owners, executives, hosts, anchors, producers and even fact-checkers knew that Donald Trump lost the 2020 presidential election and that there was no credible evidence of election fraud." (Source)
Dominion has messages as well. They seem quite concerned about frailties of their systems, to say the least:
6A09E7FF-C6EA-43E8-B841-747DACB4D220.jpeg030DCAC2-95FB-4EC6-A1D7-8D30FFE501FD.jpegD67124AA-5F3C-43C1-B38D-94428D313F27.jpeg

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
At least some of those “ news” organizations have reported on Dominion in the past and the concerns with their system, as have a good amount of Dem politicians who voiced their problems with them.
I mean, Dems were against Dominion before they were for them.
I don't know if that's true or not. But even if it is, it's irrelevant to the matter before the court, which is Dominion v. Fox News.

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I went back and looked at a show with Tucker Carlson talking about Sidney Powell and Rudy. I didn’t see anything wrong with what he said. So I’ll ask again, what specific lie did Tucker Carlson say?