Four Star

XCountryTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Did you get your call saying you are going to the Four Star this year? Besides our friend in an E truck...If so are you an E, D, C,B,...truck? Were not sure if we are going to make it this year!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have heard of a couple E units and a couple D units as of now but like you we are not thinking this will be our year to go!

I bet they have an awesome time on that cruise FedEx really goes all out for these safety awards.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Out of curiosity, and since our acceptance percentage is no longer available on the Extranet, we called a little before the end of the fiscal year to see if we were in the running. Our safety, service and in-service numbers are at Four-Star levels. Run count was lower than prior years but grading on the recession curve, it might be high enough for Four Star.

People in the office said they had no idea if we were in the Four Star running because the new dispatch system has degraded their ability to know what our acceptance numbers are. They said we will have to wait for the fiscal year to end and manual calculations to be done to find out.

I can understand that a new dispatch system would temporarily mess up the other part of a computer program or programs that report your acceptance percentage and make it instantly available to contractors as before. I do not understand why many months have since passed and we remain without the ability to know what our acceptance percentage is.

If the Four Star program is to serve as an incentive for contractors to bring in high numbers, it will be more effective if contractors can know what their numbers actually are while the contest period is live. If you are going to try to win an award, it is helpful to know the score while the contest is underway.

Diane and I have never modified our behavior because of the Four Star award but I know contractors that do. If they felt they were in the running as the fiscal year drew to a close, they would accept loads they might otherwise refuse. In other words, in their case, the prize is serving as the incentive it was designed to be. But if people don't know the score, they can't know if they are close, and won't know they should try.

While not motivated to seek the Four Star prize, we have always been proud to turn in numbers that are at or near Four Star levels (long coast-to-coast runs reduce our run count and keep us out of the top 50). We used to take great pride in our high acceptance numbers. Now we can't even know what they are. How much longer must we wait to again have online access to our acceptance numbers?

If contractor acceptance percentages remain important to FDCC, it is very much in FDCC's interest to make them again known to contractors. It is difficult for a contractor to care about the score when you don't know what it is.

Edit:

As we were discussing this, Diane reminded me that under the old system, occasional accept/decline errors would be found that could be easily corrected by calling in. Now, if errors are there, we won't even know it.

FDCC needs to either drop acceptance ratings altogether or restore the ability for contractors to know what they are and monitor their accuracy.

Last edited:

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Phil – Well said. I could not agree with you more. The last I heard about the current fiasco regarding acceptance numbers and percentages was during the last round of conference calls with Jason, when he stated they hoped to have the situation resolved by September. “September”? Are you kidding me? It has already been months and months and much too long that we have not had accurate and up-to-date load acceptance numbers.

Personally, I have little if any interests in the Four Star awards. If selected, I couldn’t and wouldn’t attend or participate in the festivities. However, this lack of interest in the official awards does not negate in any measure my interest in accurate performance statistics, available in a timely manner.

harleynana9302

Seasoned Expediter
My husband and I share the same concerns as Phil and Diane....
After speaking to Jason last week, I found out that there were 8 load opps that were sent to us and there was no response back from us...as I stated to Jason there has to be a "Glitch" in the system as I always respond one way or the other to the load opp....with finding this out I wonder how many other contractors are having refusals counted Against them that are not valid......

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Based on this week’s e-mail weekly bulletin, the 4 Star Award Winners have been announced. Does this mean the load acceptance information problem has now been corrected and this information is once again available to all contractors?:confused:

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
The 4 Star Awards is a big Sham. One of this years winners told us there is no way they could have qualified for the award because of their load acceptence.

With the messed up system this year I don't know how FedEx could even pick any winners. They didn't even have correct load acceptence numbers.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am thinking that it soon maybe time for a NEW incentive program. I don't know if load acceptance % is still a valid guage of things. FAR TOO many van loads being offered to trucks that in no way can afford to run them on a regular basis.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My feelings on the acceptance issue,how many loads do you accept that you don't get?I think this has to play into the refusals too.As far as the 4 Star,it's not important to me,butu maybe my co driver,would be a nice perk for him and his wife

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know what they are doing with the "B" loads now. We see SO many since this new system went into effect.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
All of the people we know that went on the trip deserved the trip. They ran their butts off and they staying in areas they were able to accept most of the loads offered. There are a few long time 4-Star winners that did not go this year but the ones we have talked to know exactly why.

I hope after the way this past year went with the loads offered that FCC takes a fresh look at the criteria used to select the trucks.

I hope they all had a really good time and they have good memories that will last forever!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am sure that the winners worked VERY hard. I would like to see a new and improved system that takes into account the vast numbers of loads being offered at such low rates that an owner would lose money if they ran them.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
All of the people we know that went on the trip deserved the trip. They ran their butts off and they staying in areas they were able to accept most of the loads offered. There are a few long time 4-Star winners that did not go this year but the ones we have talked to know exactly why.

I hope after the way this past year went with the loads offered that FCC takes a fresh look at the criteria used to select the trucks.

I hope they all had a really good time and they have good memories that will last forever!

I know one 4 star winner that knows you and you them that said they knew for sure there was no way they could have met the 4 star winner requirements. But as always youn take the company line.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Question to FECC: I saw in this week's news bulletin that comes out on e-mail the announcement of the most recent 4 Star Award Winners. That would be an indication that all of the errors in the system used to accurately calculate load acceptance figures has been corrected and that this information is now once again available to all contractors - correct?

FECC Reply: Your stats for last fiscal year 6/1/08-5/31/09 are below. (Omitted in this posting) Our IT department runs a fleet wide report once per quarter for the FYTD stats for Contractor Relations. This information is not automatically forwarded to the CCs. We obtain it by request if an owner would like to know. There still is no system for contractors or CCs to query this info on our own. For total refusals you will need to add the NDS and FMS numbers together. FMS was the old dispatch system, NDS is the new one.

My Follow Up Comment To FECC: I am somewhat surprised by the low acceptance rate, knowing it has never been that low before in all the years I have been with FECC. Therefore, my first thoughts are that the system is still not perfect and contains errors. Obviously it has been "broken" for over a year. Nevertheless and despite any concerns I might express, I am sure "it is what it is" and that is what FECC will use as a basis for decision-making regarding contractor's performance.

FECC Reply: I really do appreciate your opinion on this matter. I think I would feel the same way if I were in a contractor’s shoes at FDCC. I am all about accuracy and striving towards it. If there were a time your lease would be in jeopardy, I would let you know in advance. My advice is to keep striving for 60% load acceptance as best as you can without bankrupting yourself.

I cannot regularly take loads that fail to cover my costs and are not profitable. I will continue to work smart. I will continue to work hard. I will continue to maintain my equipment in good condition. I will continue to focus on safety and provide excellent customer service. However, profitability MUST be the #1 priority in making business decisions.

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

I cannot regularly take loads that fail to cover my costs and are not profitable. I will continue to work smart. I will continue to work hard. I will continue to maintain my equipment in good condition. I will continue to focus on safety and provide excellent customer service. However, profitability MUST be the #1 priority in making business decisions.

That is a perfect paragraph and a motto we follow. Keep good numbers and know where you need to be to make a profit.