Ford power stroke 6.0 vs 7.3

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
I have found two E350 vans and am trying to decide between them. One is an 03 with a 7.3 and 135k miles. The other is an 05 with a 6.0. and 55k miles, the price difference is $4,000. My concern is a lot of negatives I have heard about the 6.0 engine. Any opinions out there?

guido4475

Not a Member
I have found two E350 vans and am trying to decide between them. One is an 03 with a 7.3 and 135k miles. The other is an 05 with a 6.0. and 55k miles, the price difference is $4,000. My concern is a lot of negatives I have heard about the 6.0 engine. Any opinions out there?

I had to make the same exact decision when I bought my van.I wanted durablity and dependability and the 7.3 is known for that.Read last months issue of Diesel Power magazine found at the Flying J and it explains the many problems with the 6.0.It will make you glad you didnt have one.Some had good luck with them, others not so lucky.I love my 7.3.It has more than enough power.And so far it is dependable.At 200,000 miles it is not using any oil at all. period.I do know the 6.0 is alot lighter than the 7.3, but I dont know how much lighter.The only drawback with the 7.3 is it ended in 2003. So the age of the van might be a problem with some carriers.Only 1 told me they wouldnt take me because of this.But I love the peace of mind knowing I have one of Ford/Internationals best diesel engines.And having something that is paid for sure takes alot of stress off of a driver when things get tight.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
depends.

who do you work for? what is their age limit on vans?
if independent is this really a question?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Hands down, the 7.3 is a superior engine. Properly maintained, you can easily expect 600,000- 700,000 miles. And then some. I contend the 7.3L Powerstroke is the finest diesel engine, in its class, ever produced. Truly awesome.