ford 7.3 liter diesel

desdes

Seasoned Expediter
anybody with experience with ford 7.3 liter diesel.im thinking of getting one.please tell me all the good and the bad

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have a 1999 F 250 Super Duty with 287,000 miles & a 2002 E 350 with only 235,000 miles. Only problem? was a cam shaft sensor & Ford Motor Co. paid for both replacements.

ACEofSpades

Seasoned Expediter
Really good motor. Stock they are hard to kill, They break when you modify them though. The older ones (around 1996) they had a few problems but the newer ones are great.

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
I own a 96 F-350 used it to pull cars 25,000 LBS of trailer for 280,000 miles. Got a Bully Dog chip, banks turbo and exhaust NEVER a single problem with the motor. The auto transmission is the weak link, pulling heavy expect 75,000 out of them.

ACEofSpades

Seasoned Expediter
My friend is a diesel mechanic and he told me "about the only thing bad about to early 7.3 is the cooling system." "If you don't service the cooling system when needed the coolant will become staticly charged and it will eat holes in the block." I'd never heard of that but if this guy says it ...I belive it. He is a 43 year vetran diesel mechanic, went to Nashville Auto Diesel, blah, blah, blah.....anyway.....he's good. I see people hauling all kinds of stuff with the 7.3. It's a **** good motor. I , however, prefer the 6.6 Duramax. I hauled 14k of trucks with it and I was very happy. 2002 GMC 2500 HD 4door long bed 2wd, that truck was awesome on pavement...... just don't put it in the grass and expect it to move.....hehe, it really needed to be a 4x4.

Anyway, If you buy one chances are you'll be buying a good one. Not too many of them are Found On Road Dead....haha. J/K I like Ford and I currently own one.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The only problem I would think could be a problem outside of the cam sensor is the high pressure pump.

AND why is this in the general forum, shouldn't be in the truck forum?