ford 4.6 again

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
coil pack #6 has gone bad. underload of course, is there any other way? this is 2 in 4 months.

does anyone know if there is a way to scan for replacement need or is replacing all of the rest the only pm method?

called my local goodyear dealer. he said a hundred bucks each for the coil and plug and a hundred to replace all the remaining 6. so why does ford charge 700 bucks for one?

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Whie I am no expert on these thing, I was a certified machanic back in the day of "points and condensers" and at the beginning of the introd of the GM HEI, so its been a while. So that being said, this type of eletronic parts tend to breakdown over time and whie not at the same pace as one right next to it, i certainly wouldn't go too long with out making an effort to replace the rest after the 1st goes bad.

I have no idea if there is PM schedue on these things, I wouldn't think so, but as one goes bad, you can bet it won't be too long before another will.

As to way Ford gets $700 for 1, because they can............

moparnewt

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, I'm an ASE cert. mechanic and can tell you that a scan will not always tell you if a coil pack is going to fail ( and Fords can fail quicker than the rest). Try going to the MSD replacement,they're far superior and last a long time.They have been engineered for the rigors of racing and perform far better and at a better price than the OEM piece. It's a fairly easy job to replace them also.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
because they can.......yeah dennis i think i knew that 2 sec after i posted.

thanks for the info mopar. that is a plan.

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
at least they are easy to relpace, just make sure that you get both the plug boot and the wire, the wire comes off the coil pack for time to time, and so does the boot, but all you need is a 7MM socket and a 3 inch extension and your done. The MSD coils are much cheaper, around 47 bucks vers. parts stores price of around 70

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
dealer replaced all the plugs and boots. found one cracked injector and replaced that also.

now the next item i may need to spend money on is the cat con which looks original. i may never get an espar at this rate.