For those with an oven

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Just ate a great meal in the truck. Bake in bag turkey breast baked potato and greenbeans with gravy. All was prepared in our micro/convection oven. Wow it came out great, don't fear the bird in the bag.
612aaea4-94a9-202c.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Looks yummy - fresh green beans! :)
My dinner wasn't so great: got some homemade pierogi, keilbasa & chunky applesauce, but when I went to saute the pierogi in the rice cooker, it wouldn't turn on. I think it got bounced to death sitting [in a crate] on the floor - I'll get another tomorrow [it is invaluable!] and move it to a higher place.
Could we get some details on that convection oven? Is it a microwave combo? Watts?

guido4475

Not a Member
My dinner wasn't so great: got some homemade pierogi, keilbasa & chunky applesauce, but when I went to saute the pierogi in the rice cooker, it wouldn't turn on. I think it got bounced to death sitting [in a crate] on the floor - I'll get another tomorrow [it is invaluable!] and move it to a higher place.
Could we get some details on that convection oven? Is it a microwave combo? Watts?

A piece of foam, and placed in the bottom of the crate, bought at a arts and crafts store will probably save the new one, still using youre current space.A bubble wrap lined envelope found at wal mart in the office supply section will keep the microwave plate from bouncing around also.Simply put the plate inside the envelope when not in use, inside the microwave.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter

The green beans were actually frozen, Green Giant Steam Fresh, as close to fresh as you can get and perfect every time.

Yes it is a combo micro/convection, Sharp R-820B. 0.9cf 900watt. Can be purchased and installed by Bolt custom trucks in Ft. Wayne IN. If anyone wants their # I can provide it.

There is little we can't cook in it. Nacho's,pizza,homemade soups, pot roast, pies, brownies ect ect. I would venture to say few drivers eat as well as we do in the truck. We also have a Forman grill with a skillet plate that covers everything else from sauteing(sp) to breakfast.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

Dont mean to butt in on your conversion but was wonder how do they cook and come out in your rice cooker?
I allways thought a homemade pierogi was boiled then stored and when ready to eat,,soaked and fryed in 100% butter then salted. When we make pierogis 1 batch consist of app 8 dozen.Good eating..

wwb6698

Expert Expediter
for those of you that like chili and want to watch your weight you have to try this, you can make it and take it on the road with you and reheat it in microwave. Have to like vegies for eat this and a little hot sauce helps too.

1 Point Chili (1 Point a cup) Weight Watchers

10 oz lean ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, diced
2 (28oz) can diced tomatoes
2 med zucchini, diced
2 med yellow squash, diced
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 – 15oz cans of fat free reduced sodium beef broth
4 celery stalks, diced
2 green peppers, diced
1 – 1 ¼ pkg dry chili seasoning

Spray a skillet with spray pam. Add turkey and onions, sauté till brown. Transfer into soup pot. Add tomatoes and rest of ingredients. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook about 30 minutes

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The green beans were actually frozen, Green Giant Steam Fresh, as close to fresh as you can get and perfect every time.

Yes it is a combo micro/convection, Sharp R-820B. 0.9cf 900watt. Can be purchased and installed by Bolt custom trucks in Ft. Wayne IN. If anyone wants their # I can provide it.

There is little we can't cook in it. Nacho's,pizza,homemade soups, pot roast, pies, brownies ect ect. I would venture to say few drivers eat as well as we do in the truck. We also have a Forman grill with a skillet plate that covers everything else from sauteing(sp) to breakfast.

Um, this is rather embarrassing: I have the same microwave, lol [except mine is 1000 or 1100 watts, I forget]. And I forget to use it as a browning agent, because the rice cooker did such a great job browning meat & sauteeing onions, etc., which is pretty much what I need to do.
I second the recommendation of Bolt [I have to call them Bentz/Bolt, lol] as they've done several nice jobs for me, too - great work.

Thanks, Guido - already have bubble wrap, will get some foam.

Slow: 'butting in' is exactly what you're sposed to do here, lol. I usually skip the boiling of pierogi cause they're precooked, but I never skip the sauteeing - I like them browned [& with onions, if I have any]. I spray the Teflon [rice cooker] with olive oil cooking spray, and add some butter too, and they brown very nicely. The high heat that allows browning is what convinced me to get the rice cooker - I wanted taco salad, lol. It has been amazing [thanks, India, you're a peach for suggesting it] to find one cooker that browns, boils, steams, strains, and is easy to clean, too. It even makes grilled cheese sammiches! Just don't ask me how it does with rice, cause that's one thing I haven't made in it - but it does some killer ham & au gratin [or scalloped] potatoes....
wbb: thanks for the recipe - I love veggies! :D

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
An easy rice cooker white bean chicken chili

one or two chicken breasts cooked and chopped
one can of chicken stock
one can of great northern beans
one can chopped green chilis
add onion if you.would like

simmer for a while
enjoy with some corn bread or.corn muffins and its fantastic

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
All good deals and ideas. I do a lot of steamed veges in the micro. What's the brand name on the turkey and potatoes??

guido4475

Not a Member
I sure cant wait till I get the inside of my sleeper done, all this talk of food is making me hate restaurants even more!

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
All good deals and ideas. I do a lot of steamed veges in the micro. What's the brand name on the turkey and potatoes??

The turkey is Jennie-O (found in the freezer section of Meijer) potatoes...um russett. If you want instant-ish, Bob Evans makes some that can be done in a micro(regular or sweet tatter) both good. another product I am NEVER without uncle Bens 90 second rice, perfect every time. For a quick healthy snack, one package of rice(you pick the flavor) and mix in green giant single serve veggie of choice.

Happy eating

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Time for a new recipe thread/forum/EO cookbook?

On a somewhat related note, does anyone follow the Crockpot Girls on Facebook, or collect "dump" crockpot recipes? I've got a super-easy sweet & hot kielbasa crockpot recipe that's served over white rice, if anyone's interested......

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
6130ca4a-cc5b-2dfb.jpg

Apple pie...quick and easy in the truck. Pillsbury crust, in the refeigerated section, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, flour and butter. 425° for 40min. What a way to enjoy a cold day, made the truck smell GREAT TOO...yummm

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
6130ca4a-cc5b-2dfb.jpg

Apple pie...quick and easy in the truck. Pillsbury crust, in the refeigerated section, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, flour and butter. 425° for 40min. What a way to enjoy a cold day, made the truck smell GREAT TOO...yummm

DAM that pie looks so yummy with some whipped cream on it or ice cream