For the ladies

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Sorry Jenny, a 45 is a small vinyl record with one song on each side. They rotated at 45 revolutions per minute, hence the name 45.
We put them on a machine....,,,

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Sorry Jenny, a 45 is a small vinyl record with one song on each side. They rotated at 45 revolutions per minute, hence the name 45.
We put them on a machine....,,,

And they had a lil yellow piece in the middle to use on a big 33 platter.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the explanation. I never knew why it was called a 45.

I did some googling, Karen passed away the year before I was born, so that's why I didn't know any of it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Of course some of her songs have been used in the movies like HAPPY GILMORE.

The song WE ONLY JUST BEGUN.

I have had fun with her songs by changing the words. CLOSE TO YOU, why do birds poop on my car, thats because they are stars. Just like me, they like to be a pain you see......

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Of course some of her songs have been used in the movies like HAPPY GILMORE.

The song WE ONLY JUST BEGUN.

I have had fun with her songs by changing the words. CLOSE TO YOU, why do birds poop on my car, thats because they are stars. Just like me, they like to be a pain you see......

That movie came out in February of 1996. I was barely 11, and didn't actually see it until I was probably 16 or so. We didn't go to the movies, closest theater was over 1/2 hour away, and we didn't have cable until I was 14, or the internet until I was in my sophomore year or high school when AOL was the big thing. But now that you mention it was used in that movie I think I may know it, but still not sure.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
She has many nice songs, you should Pandora her and see what songs you may have heard.

It is a shame she died so soon in her music career.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Sad thing is that she struggled with an eat disorder after a member of the media called her "chubby", and that ultimately led to her death . Its quite sad how the media and society have such in impact on how people think they should look, that it causes people to literally kill themselves to please others.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
She didn't develop an eating disorder because of a comment from the media. That was fabricated for the movie that told her story. It was fabricated by her brother, who produced the movie. Anything that reflected negatively on the family, Richard had removed or toned down. She was chubby in high school, and right after high school she saw a picture of herself from high school and decided she needed to lose weight. That's when it started.

Her mother was pure evil, controlling and never once told Karen that she loved her. That family, led by the mother, was thoroughly dysfunctional, and cared about image and outward appearances. There is a book, Little Girl Blue, that details the Dragon Lady and her control over the family and the family's business. Karen also had a husband who called her fat, or a bag of bones, depending on which one would hurt her more at the time. She wanted to have kids, and everyone knew it, and a few days before the wedding he told her, "Oh, yeah, by the way, I've had a vasectomy." She wanted to call off the wedding but her mother forced her to go through with it. That didn't exactly help her eating disorder, either. There a lot more to it, including her mother refusing to allow her to seek mental health treatment, since only crazy people do that.

While the media does reinforce images that cause eating disorders, that really wasn't the case with Karen.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for clearing that up, the article I read was incorrect.

I thought everything on the internet was true :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Karen Carpenter's "We've Only Just Begun" was THE most chosen songs for the first couple's dance at weddings for a very long time.
The story of her anorexia combined with the myth of Mama Cass Elliot's [a powerful singer with a beautiful voice] death [she died of a heart attack, but the story is that she choked on a ham sandwich] to form one sick 'joke': if Mama Cass had shared her sandwich with Karen Carpenter, they'd both still be alive. :eek:
I like Karen Carpenter ok, but I like Cass Elliot more, because she could project real power, and that is what I enjoy hearing.