FMCSA New Initiative to Validate Driver Medical Cards

moose

Veteran Expediter
Simply, very simple, same as they validate ANY other credential presented to them.
but before i get there, i do see a very big different between how you interpenetrated the press news from the OP, & the way i understands it.
you are using the words 'medical card'.
this is not my understanding.
my understanding is 'the info presented on the CDL' for states that already gone through the full process of the new CDL.
a CDL that cannot be obtained unless a medical card was presented at the time of issuing the CDL by the state.
my understanding is the FMCSA is checking the states frauds(not drivers fraud as was suggested earlier), {which in the case of Minnesota, i can fully understand why} ,checking to see if the states are actually using a medical examiner that is a registered care provider with the newly national registry.
checking a medical card make no seance to me, why of earth will they do so on a system that is phasing out?
now, to answer your question, {from my understanding}. all they do is harassing drivers, when they actually needs to simply validate the info. presented to them by the state, the same way they check any other CDL info. for example an endorsement, or a restriction on a CDL. it's between the FMCSA and the states.
leave the driver alone!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I used the words "medical card" because I didn't feel like typing out "Medical Examiner's Certificate" every time I wanted to reference the Medical Examiner's Certificate, and also because most truck drivers refer to the Medical Examiner's Certificate as simple "the medical card". In addition, the FMCSA also uses the term "medical card" as a euphemism for "Medical Examiner's Certificate" when the Medical Examiner's Certificate is in card form rather than the standard 8.5 x 11 size.

I find it interesting that you would be so thoroughly pedantic with regard to my choice of phrasing, while at the same time through out all pedantry in making assumptions and conclusions based on things that were not present at all in the article at all.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration announced that it and its state partners will be conducting random verifications of driver Medical Examiner's Certificates during enforcement activities.
Nothing in there about harassing drivers.

The purpose of these validations is to obtain verbal confirmation that the medical examination was conducted and the information on the Medical Examination Certificate is accurate. It is not to evaluate the driver's medical fitness to operate a commercial vehicle.
Nothing in there, either, about harassing drivers, nor the illegal release of medical information, nor is it a "huge over reach by the FMCA & a violation of privacy & the Doctor patient relationship," by any stretch of the imagination (even a trucker's imagination, which can stretch a lot).

I'm convinced that there is a sizable percentage of truckers who always look for the worst in every situation, even if they have to make it up, and cannot be be happy unless they're bіtchin' and moaning about something. I'm also convinced that if your Medical Examiner's Certificate is one hundred percent legitimate and valid that you don't have anything to worry about. Everything else is a whiny "what if" unless and until it happens.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Geez Turtle, way to go... Harshing everyone's "I wanna be outraged" buzz. I'll bet you like to tell 6 year olds that there's no Santa too.

moose

Veteran Expediter
First of all i admit that my pedantic assumptions (is that bad, am i to be offended?) resulted not only from the OP, but from reading online & listening to XM (not CB) stuff prior to this issue coming up.
i might be charged with a predetermine crime!
to the point, i simply cannot understands{maybe someone can help}why the FMCSA woke up now.
after all, the resolution of this problem have already been widely addressed , taking care of.
and is on it's way to ensure that truckers are certify by a registered DOT medical exterminator.
the ONLY conclusion that one can see is Gov. overreached and driver harassment on the side of the road. nothing else.
the 'what if' is a way of life for most professional truckers. we MUST keep our eyes open for the ones that set to use any loophole to abused us. sorry, but the FMCSA is notorious for allowing exactly that.
i wish we had nothing to be alarmed of, but we are an experienced consumers of the 'if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about' mentality that took away much of our freedom in this country.
you all watch and see for a prime example of how they will do just that in WDC next week.(more to come!) your CDL's will never be the same.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Geez Turtle, way to go... Harshing everyone's "I wanna be outraged" buzz. I'll bet you like to tell 6 year olds that there's no Santa too.

No Santa ?
WTF????????

attachment.php

paullud

Veteran Expediter
From what I understand it seems to me that the inspector may call and ask if the driver completed a physical, if yes, end of story. If they get a no then you get put OOS.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only real or imagined problem I see with verifying a driver's Medical Examiner's Certificate is if some scale cop on the west coast wants to verify your medical card at 15:05 P.S.T. and your doctor is in the eastern time zone.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Does this new law have some sort of provision for a non CDL driver who has to have a medial card ? The state isn't required to get med card info on non CDL drivers?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
the ONLY conclusion that one can see is Gov. overreached and driver harassment on the side of the road. nothing else.
The ONLY conclusion. Nothing else. No other conclusions are even possible. Got it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This new initiative by the FMCSA to verify a driver's Medical Examiner's Certificate gives law enforcement officers access to way too much personal information. A LEO could call the examiner's office to confirm the validity of the Medical Card. Once confirmed, the LEO could logically conclude that the holder was in reasonably good health since the holder passed a stringent D.O.T. physical. The LEO could sell this information, along with your name, address, truck tags and description on the internet to rogue organ harvesters who will steal your kidneys and sell them to rich white people. Next time you wake up to find your spleen has gone missing, you can thank the FMCSA and the Obama administration for allowing this intrusion into our lives.

Deville

Not a Member
This new initiative by the FMCSA to verify a driver's Medical Examiner's Certificate gives law enforcement officers access to way too much personal information. A LEO could call the examiner's office to confirm the validity of the Medical Card. Once confirmed, the LEO could logically conclude that the holder was in reasonably good health since the holder passed a stringent D.O.T. physical. The LEO could sell this information, along with your name, address, truck tags and description on the internet to rogue organ harvesters who will steal your kidneys and sell them to rich white people. Next time you wake up to find your spleen has gone missing, you can thank the FMCSA and the Obama administration for allowing this intrusion into our lives.

Jesus Christ, now I have one more thing to worry about.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jesus Christ, now I have one more thing to worry about.

I wouldn't get to bent out of shape over this. Most reasonably healthy people can live without a spleen or with only one lung or kidney. If you wake up without a heart, it's probably too late to worry. Keep your doors locked at night and wear a Kevlar vest to bed and you will be safe from rogue organ harvesters.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't get to bent out of shape over this. Most reasonably healthy people can live without a spleen or with only one lung or kidney. If you wake up without a heart, it's probably too late to worry. Keep your doors locked at night and wear a Kevlar vest to bed and you will be safe from rogue organ harvesters.

Don't forget, never accept drinks from strangers or you may wake up in a tub full of ice at a motel.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't see this being legal, although the article states that it's just a records match that does not give any LEO the right to request ANY type of medical information from a Doctors office.

I hope OODIA will take this up in court.

Welcome to communism!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't forget, never accept drinks from strangers or you may wake up in a tub full of ice at a motel.
That happened to my second cousin's best friend's wife's ex-husband's girlfriend. She woke up in a motel bathtub full of ice. She had a large sutured incision and later, at the hospital, found she was missing a kidney. Why the rogue organ harvesters stitched her up and didn't take her other kidney, lungs, heart and spleen, which all were in good working order, is still a mystery.