Fleet ownership

ACW4478

Expert Expediter
I'm looking to possibly become a fleet owner and would like to get more information with regards to contracts with the drivers you hire. (who's responsible for what, the pay, ect.) Are there any sample contracts out there? Or anyone who specializes in Fleet contracts? Thanks for any replies.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is too hard to have a generic copy that can be used by many owners. How you pay, the carrier you are leased to, and who pays for what would all be different.
I would advise legal council within your home state to assist you in the preparation of the documents. Someone with a transportation background would be ideal. References are likely available from OOIDA.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I just called about 5 different carriers told them I was thinking about signing on and asked them to fax me a copy of the lease to read over.

then just cut and paste the parts I like.

Just make sure the carriers you call are out of the same state you do bussiness in

then if you want to have the lawyer read it over chances are it wont cost you anything

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I'm looking to possibly become a fleet owner and would like
>to get more information with regards to contracts with the
>drivers you hire. (who's responsible for what, the pay,
>ect.) Are there any sample contracts out there? Or anyone
>who specializes in Fleet contracts? Thanks for any replies.

Davekc is right.

I am going to give you some advice that cost me a lot of money once, when ever you deal with contract, DO NOT assume that you can get away with simple generic contracts. I know a few who have corporate legal consul that essentially works for nothing due to family relationships, i.e. brother, son etc... even if you don’t think this happens, think again.

Every contract pretty much looks like the next one but it is the fine print that matters and believe me it is the fine print that gets you every time. Contract, even with simple issues can be really complex. So don't be fooled that you will not have to worry about it, you will.

Each company has its own requirements and needs and contracts are written to protect both the company and driver at the same time fulfilling the company’s needs.

You can call OOIDA for a referral or you can call your state bar association to get the names of lawyers who can help you. Also don’t forget to get references and check them, really good lawyers would be happy for you to check.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
KWexpress;
I think the poster was talking about a contract between drivers and owners, verses owners and a carrier.
Carrier contracts will have little on vehicle responsibilities, driver wages, breakdowns ect.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator