FL70, Good? Bad? what problems to look for?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I am not going into detail but I would like to hear from people who are running or ran an fl70.

One thing I am looking for is mileage, what should someone epect with a Cummins and a 3126?

TIA

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You definitely need to get input from Rich. Unless I'm mistaken he ran an FL70 for about a million miles. He probably knows as much about them as the engineers at FL.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Over the years we have had numerous FL70's with all kinds of variations. Everything from a Detroit, CAT, and Cummins. Each engine has different issues but actual hours on the engine would be the bigger issue, rather than milage. In other words, how much idle time and does the truck have a generator? How frequent was the oil changes? A dyno and engine oil analysis (on old oil) should give you a reasonably clear picture.

With regards to cabs, expect some air leaks at doors and some reoccurring issues with regards to their A/C units.
If just looking at quality and cab room isn't a issue, a KW or Pete blow one of these away.
Keep in mind though that Rich got a ton of miles out of his.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I ran an FL70 for a few, and it was a good truck for the money. As stated above, oil sample analysis is your best bet. Oil can tell you so much about an engine. I had a 260hp Cummins 8.3 with about 700,000 that ran great and used no oil. It was a 2000, that had been expediting for a while, and t had a few door seal leaks and a ton of rattles. Overall though, nothing major was going on it. The cab had alot more room inside than my KW does. Forward visibility is about the same. I beileve it had a tighter turning radius too.

Mileage wise, mine's not a good idea to base on. I had a six speed and the wrong gears. It turned about 2100rpm at 70 mph. Stay away from that driveline setup!! I got as bad as 7 mpg at times.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
This may be a little out of date, but my last truck was a 96 FL70, and it was great lil truck. Not the biggest, or most powerful, but it was dependable, ran great and got good fuel mileage.

It had the Cummins, 250 hp, 6 speed with 3.20 rear, and consistantly got over 10mpg, and got as high as 12 on long interstate runs cruising at 62. I turned it in at over 500,000 and it still didn't use oil.

I'd love to have that engine again in a newer truck. Maybe a little higher hp rating if it didn't hurt the fuel mileage.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"If you don't have the time to do something right,
where are you going to find the time to fix it?"

-Stephen King

garman351

Expert Expediter
We are running a 2000 Freightliner with a 250Hp 3126 Cat motor, and we have 538K miles on it and it runs like new.

It uses no oil between changes unless we run in the mountains than it might use 1/2 gallon between changes.

We get around 9.5 mpg

We have a six speed manual trans.

(It's for sale)

Send me a private message you you would like the details about our truck.

Garman351 :D

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My FL 70 was actually built in August 1995,The person who speced it disapeared and the truck sat on Orlando freightliner's lot until I bought it in June of 1996. When I sold it last month the odometer was reading 897,500 but was probaly closer to 905 as the speedometer would somtimes run slow thus the odometer would run slow.

It had the Cummins C 8.3 rated at 225 HP plus a fuller Eaton 6 speed. The engine used very little oil perhaps 1 -2 quarts between changes. This engine came in ratings from 190 to 300 HP. One time I asked the Cummins Service Manager how do they get more HP out of it. He said all they do is use larger injectors and crank up the fuel pressure. So I essentially had a detuned engine which meant it was built and stressed for 300HP but was only loafing along at 225. It averaged somewhere between 10-11 mpg,cruisng at about 64 mph. I had a fuel pump relaced under warranty and that was about it for engine work other then some cracked exhaust manifold bolts. I followed the Cummins manual for valve adjustments and usually had Cummins do the work vs F/Liner.

Like all trucks I went through several alternators and water pumps but all in all maintenace costs were reasonable. The a/c went out a couple of times and I put a clutch in at about 500K. We did very little ideling but I always warmed it up and let it cool down. The fuel shut off solenoid went out twice.

I marvel at the air compressor,god knows how many cycles that went through with no problems. The truck left with the original brakes with about 50% left,expediting can do that. Twice a year I did oil anaylsis at Speedco, and very little changes were seen.

All in all a very good basic unit,not fancy, cost $56k in 1996 and they gave me 8K trade in on a 1991 Mercedes Benz 1319 that had 700K on it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks guys I appreciate the info.

I found a few FL70’s that I am going to be looking at as soon as I get over this cold.

I found one for $11K, 2001 24 foot box but no sleeper in NY – not a big deal with 20K to play with. I am going to fly out to NY where it is Saturday if I feel good enough and see it myself. I got the ECM dump on it and the dyno report and the miles have been confirmed at 73K on the engine and 77K on the chassis. Being under 26K, it has … ready for this….. Hydraulic Brakes.

I am still on the fence on the decision of either go for a larger truck or stay with a B unit.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How are you going to be able to use it with no sleeper or will it be local work only?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
20k would be a great down payment on a new truck if you get the wrong used truck repair costs could be more than a truck payment! but that was just my luck sure you'll do fine.

I couldn't get a break on my 99 international every time I had some thing fixed 200 miles later had to have another shop redo what another shop had done was a nightmare! what I spent on an over hall could of bought a brand new engine then 1/2 of what they did had to be redone by the time it was said and done 75k was spend in a years time thats almost a new truck. then the unthinkable happened new turbo let go of a bearing and there went my engine I spent so much on! International said it was a after market rebuild turbo they put on my truck so nothing they could do except charge me another 20k for a new engine.

Alvin
still in Eagle Bridge NY!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo, I found a sleeper and a box to replace the 24 footer, a rather nice sleeper. I know that I will lose a few feet but at this price and the amount of miles on the truck, what I save will be made up later. I am shooting for a C unit, not a D unit.

Alvin, I am very careful when I purchase used equipment and have had good luck because of my attitude - never get attached to a tool. I will not make a purchase if the gut feeling is not right when I look at the truck (if anyone has every read Muir's VW books you would know what I mean). My idea is to keep the payments as small as possible so I can leverage the difference between a new truck payment and actual payment to save for an upgrade. If I do this right, the money will accumilate quicker and it will give me a good back up for problems.

MikeC

Seasoned Expediter
Last Spring I met up with Rich in my home town of Titusville Fl. I was impressed with the condition of his almost 10 year old truck. His advice which I have followed was keep it simple,don't buy more truck than you need. You can always trade up if conditions warrant it,but when the business goes south such as what is going on with FEDEX these days the pasyment stays the same. Huge sleepers are nice but need to be paid for. My FL 70 is a 2000 and runs well. Sounds to me like Gregg also knows what he is doing.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Mike, I don't know much about the FL70 so I have to ask here first to know what I am getting into. I determined my requirments and have only one thing to worry about - FedEx. I really don't know much of anything, I just think I do by the way, lol. I know what I want, it is to start the non-profit and to do so with a van income is not really making it unless my wife decides not to feed the dogs/cats and take a second job.

Alvin the reason I am looking at the bigger truck is;
1 - My wife says make more money - aka bigger truck
2 - The age of the van with FedEx has me a little concerned, even though it is in good shape – you never know
3 - I seen opportunities (and know of a few this past week) that I am being passed up because of the actual size of the van, not the weight it can haul
4 - My plan was to be in the van to make the down payment to purchase the truck, but something happened in March that prevented this from happening on schedule, no work
5 - I have been offered to team with several people but as my wife pointed out, it would not work and I would likely be left at a truck stop in Wyoming
6 - I am getting tired of being a troll aka can't stand up syndrome – even though I have been conditioned for working on subs, the cramped spaces get to you after a while

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Know the tight space feeling alright! After spending most my life outdoors tried to work in a office cubical I couldn’t do it!
Your plan is good though I had the same one just didn’t work for me now am paying old repair bills and new truck payment.
Good Luck hope it goes well!

Alvin
Upstate NY hope I get out today!

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I had a 1999 FL70 for 2+ years and it was an OK truck. The price was right but it was not equipped the way I wanted when I started looking. Mine was an Alumabunk with 72" sleeper,22' box, Cat 3126 250hp, and a 7 speed. It got 8.5 mpg and never used oil. In the time I owned it ... it needed a clutch, injectors, front shocks and a water pump. The brakes never seemed to wear at all. It's a small thing but I never could get over the way the dashboard peeled. Fit and finish also left a lot to be desired with many rattles and air leaks around the doors. All that said. It was a good truck for the money.

Deville

Not a Member
I have driven quite a few FreightLiner trucks in my day ranging from FL60, FL70 & the FL80

Currently I own a 2000 FL80 with 210HP 3126 and 6SPD Fuller trans, Aside from the door air leaks The truk is solid, has alomst 485k and still runs strong, the interior does not rattle the dash does not peel, its starts right up, It had the orginal clutch until 450k and I had the tyop redone after she threw the #6 Vavle.

Bottom line is Change the oil every 7500 miles, dont beat on it 2much, I hardly rev the motor past 2000 RPM unless its in 6th gear and cruiseing at about 75-80 MPH, I get the blinking engine light at 2300 RPM than the fuel cutoff kicks in at 2400 RPM. You just cant beat on these trucks, like anything else treat them right and most likely they will treat you right, There are lots of these trucks out there forsale that have been used for expediting and are mostly highway miles that carried very little weight, so, they may cost a little more than a non expedite truck, but chances are the non experidter truck has been driven hard by more than one driver on a daily basis and carried lots of weight.

Overall if you can findone you like and can get some service history on it, its a good bye, I got half a book of service history on mine when I bought it.

Good luck.