Five-Hour Energy Linked to Heart Attacks

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
The Atlantic Wire

You know those little vials of who-knows-what that TV bills as a healthier alternative to energy drinks. Turns out they might make you die. Or to be more specific, the flavored energy shot "has been mentioned in some 90 filings with the F.D.A., including more than 30 that involved serious or life-threatening injuries like heart attacks, convulsions and, in one case, a spontaneous abortion," according to a New York Times investigation.

Don't worry, 5-Hour Energy fans, Monster Energy drink is a culprit, too. Following a review of FDA records, The Times found that 5-Hour Energy was implicated in at least 13 deaths over the last four years, while Monster was cited in five deaths in a review last month. Both the paper and the FDA are careful to point out that correlation does not equal causation in these horrifying examples of pick-me-ups gone wrong. Nevertheless, we're pretty sure coffee will remain our stimulant of choice for the foreseeable future.

The scariest thing about the Times report isn't necessarily the threat of heart attack or spontaneous abortion. It's the fact that nobody really knows what's going on with energy drinks -- or in 5-Hour Energy's case "dietary supplements" -- that become implicated in fatalities. Even scarier, is that the companies making these potions know that it's happening. They're required by federal law to report cases that link their products to fatalities to the FDA. They don't want to talk about it either. "I am not interested in making any comment," Manoj Bhargava, the chief executive of Living Essentials, the company that makes 5-Hour Energy. (Go ahead and let the irony of that company name sink in.)

We're immediately reminded of the Four Loko debacle from a couple of years back. In case you forgot, some brilliant product team decided that it would be a good idea to take all of the ingredients in your standard energy drink -- caffeine, taurine, B vitamins -- and mix it with high proof malt liquor and sell it for about two bucks a can. Fast forward a few months later, and people were dead after drinking the stuff, a horrible turn of events that eventually caused the government to ban the formula. It was eventually re-released without all of the energy additives. Fast forward a few more months later, and America figured out a way to bring back to old upper-downer specialty cocktail. Just drop a 5-Hour Energy into a can of Four Loko and BOOM! You've got yourself an evening of fun. Or heart attacks.

So maybe 5-Hour Energy is the cause of those grizzly sounding deaths, and maybe it isn't. Either way, we've seen this chain of events before. Somebody like The Times spots the correlation. Some government agency conducts an investigation, maybe banning some things even though that won't bring the victims back from the dead. And, inevitably, nobody wins.

Five-Hour Energy Linked to Heart Attacks, 'Spontaneous Abortion' - Yahoo! News

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Meanwhile the FDA and the FTC continue to let people advertise and sell this stuff, and eventually, when enough people are in the hospital or dead, they'll shut it down, and in a predictably too-little too-late announcement will loudly and proudly proclaim they've shut it down because they're here to protect the public from this sort of thing.

This is the one that perked my ears up the very first time I saw the commercial:
Inside a dubious marketing claim: 5-Hour Energy

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Dubious indeed.

Wonder if the Breast Cancer Assoc. will withdraw themselves from 5 hour energy now ......

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
12 hour energy is vitamin B 12 and a verry small dose B.T.W. Vitimin B 12 is often used in the treatment of heart attacks, asthma, allergies, cyanide and other chemical poisonings among other emergencies and health problems. Exess Vit. B 12 is not harmfull and is excreted in urine.
The people who die of heart attacks if using 12 hr energy usualy are involving other substances, have other health problems, or are exeeding their bodys limmits like staying up five days strait. Yep, I went on that call and of corse mom wanted to blame an energy drink but the not the fact the kid spent the past week smoking meth.
COMMON SENSE says if your healthy, drink one every once in a while or even once a day and your fine. Drink a dozen one after annother in one sitting and you do me a favor and weed the population of one less stupid person I have to share this plannet with.
I was brought up with too much common sense and I dont need the government telling me or my kids what they can and cannot have as a beverage. I do that just fine on my own. I try to push as much common sense into my kids as well.

Bob Wolf.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
12 hour energy is vitamin B 12 and a verry small dose B.T.W.
It's 5 Hour Energy, not 12.

Doesn't matter how large or small of a dose, since as you said, excess B12 exits the body unused. So the large amount of B12 is mostly a waste of money, using your own statements.

The reference daily intake of B12 is 2-3 mcg. The amount of B12 in 5 Hour Energy is 500 mcg, which is five times the clinical dose for treatment of cyanide poisoning. Obviously, your definition of "verrry small dose" differs greatly from mine.

5 Hour Energy is not a B12 supplement, or at least not an efficient one. It is included in many energy drinks to make the gullible believe the drink is healthy. The reality is that the B12 in the drink has little or no effect on the body.

It's the combination of caffeine, taurine and herbal stimulants that give the energy boost by stimulating the nervous system, which among other things cause the heart to beat faster. In double-blind studies with drinks containing caffeine-only, taurine-only, caffeine and taurine, and placebos, the caffeine and taurine drinks resulted in almost three times the amount of blood being pumped by the heart as compared to the taurine-only and caffeine-only drinks, and more than 4 times that of the placebo drinks.

This increased heart rate and heart workload can be dangerous, even lethal, in otherwise healthy individuals, but is even more dangerous to those with heart or nervous system problems. And the older you get the greater likelihood of you having both, even if they are unnoticed. But any problems with the nervous system and heart will certainly become noticeable if you push their capabilities to the limit with taurine and caffeine.

The notion that 5 Hour Energy is a perfectly safe and effective vitamin B12 supplement is not only irresponsible, and utterly ignorant, it's just retarded. Basic chemistry and biology will tell you that. Any time you ingest an unnatural chemical, chemical compounds, or naturally occurring chemicals in unnatural amounts, you are asking your body to do something it's not designed to do, and there will always be side effects. Always.
If you're perfectly fine with dramatic increase in an unnatural heart rate and blood flow, then taurine and caffeine in copious amounts are for you. Otherwise, you're better off maxing out with a triple vente latte mocha mocha extra double no whip, or a diet Mt Dew. Even better would be to cut down on processed carbs, eat right, get a little exercise, and sleep, all of which provide the human body with more than enough energy for it's daily needs.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree the B 12 part is basicly a waste money 1 the body eliminates it and your GI systeme destroys the properties.

I still say the occasional use is harmless drink tenin an hour then you get your Darwin award