Fishing

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Heading out onto Lake Erie to look for some walleye. Reports from people who know the Lake say the bulk of the fish are in Ohio and Canadian waters, which would be about right for this time of year. I am limited to Michigan waters, I never bought a fishing license any where else. Time to look for some "local" fish. Much harder to do than fishing the "school".

I can't wait to see how close NOAA gets the call on the weather today. It is a pretty sure bet they blow the call. They do about 90% of the time. I am not sure they even know where the Great Lakes are.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Fish are far and few between in the "River". We picked up one. We tried out on the Lake, right where the river meets the lake, it's not good trolling conditions.

Every year, toward the end of August, the celery beds start to break up and trolling becomes impossible. This year that has started early. Weed was everywhere.

Then the sky started looking "funny", clouds building, so we got off the Lake.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, we're waiting!

They were off on storm formation by several hours. Winds were not a predicted either, nor was wave heights.

The wave were strange. They were only out of one direction, which is strange for Lake Erie. The spacing between the waves was much further apart than you normally find out there. It was not possible to "get up" and "skip" across the wave tops. There were also "out sized" waves. the majority we 1-2', but were already white capping. Every 10th or 12th wave was HUGE. 4-6'.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fish are far and few between in the "River".
Fishing_Cartoon_02tra.gif

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Predicting future events, be it the price of fuel in January, the career path of children or exactly where, exactly when and how intense a storm will be, is dicey at best. NOAA doesn't KNOW A thing. It's a best guess. A guideline. A possibility.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Predicting future events, be it the price of fuel in January, the career path of children or exactly where, exactly when and how intense a storm will be, is dicey at best. NOAA doesn't KNOW A thing. It's a best guess. A guideline. A possibility.
Carnac-the-magnificent-johnny-carson.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

NOAA does not even know how deep the water is on Lake Erie, charts are wrong. They report current conditions wrong, let alone getting a forecast right.

NOAA is a joke.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I go fishing I rarely consult weather forecasts. Or current water conditions. I figure if it rains, or the the water is choppy, it will not be as hot and I just gained a breeze. Also the lake or river won't be crowded, since everyone else leaves. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I go fishing I rarely consult weather forecasts. Or current water conditions. I figure if it rains, or the the water is choppy, it will not be as hot and I just gained a breeze. Also the lake or river won't be crowded, since everyone else leaves. :)

Lake Erie can get very dangerous, very quickly. It is seldom just "choppy", which I would like. They call it a "walleye chop" around here.

Erie is a large, shallow, lake. This end of the Lake, the Western Basin, is the shallowest part. The shipping lanes are dredged to 35', it's a constant battle.

When it blow up out there, it blow up fast. It can go from flat to 8' wave in minutes. Even the winds are "goofy" out there. They are seldom at speeds that is being reported. More of than not they are much stiffer. The rule of thumb is add 10 to what is being predicted or reported.

I know ships captains who would much rather face ocean storms than one out on Lake Erie.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll stick with rivers and lakes in Alabama. It is so laid back, you don't even spill your beer when the waves rock the boat. :rolleyes:Just kidding. Fishing should be relaxing, IMO

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll stick with rivers and lakes in Alabama. It is so laid back, you don't even spill your beer when the waves rock the boat. :rolleyes:Just kidding. Fishing should be relaxing, IMO

Fishing on Lake Erie can be beyond belief. I have seen years when it takes longer to run out to a spot than it does to limit out once you get there. Erie is stacked with walleye and yellow perch. Both are fine table fare and more than worth the effort.

You just have to be careful. The Great Lakes are more like oceans than lakes. They are big. They can "bite" you on the butt if you are not careful. I have a friend, a former charter captain on Erie, who was struck by lightning out there. It entered, if I remember correctly, in the right shoulder and exited out his left foot. The strike broke his pelvis and messed up his hearts electrical system, he spent 9 months in the hospital.

A couple of "tidbits" on Erie:

"The shallowest section of Lake Erie is the western basin where depths average only 25 to 30 feet (7.6 to 9.1 m); as a result, "the slightest breeze can kick up lively waves," according to a New York Times reporter in 2004.[SUP][16][/SUP] The "waves build very quickly", according to other accounts.[SUP][17][/SUP][SUP][18][/SUP]Sometimes fierce waves springing up unexpectedly have led to dramatic rescues; in one instance, a Cleveland resident trying to measure the dock near his house became trapped but was rescued by a fire department diver from Avon Lake, Ohio:

In a tug of war against the waves, the two were finally hauled out by rope. After being trapped for an hour-and-a-half, Baker was back on dry land, exhausted and battered but alive."
Then we have to deal with "seiches", which take place mainly in Nov. I have seen seiches "move" 6' feet of water in less than an hour. What I mean by move, it take it away. Water that was 6' deep, goes away and leaves the Lake bottom exposed. The water will stay away as long as the winds blow. When it returns, it can come back faster than it left.

"Short-term level changes are often caused by seiches that are particularly high when southwesterly winds blow across the length of the lake during storms. These cause water to pile up at the eastern end of the lake. Storm-driven seiches can cause damage onshore. During one storm in November 2003, the water level at Buffalo rose by 7 feet (2.1 m) with waves of 10–15 feet (3–4.5 m) for a rise of 22 feet (6.7 m).[SUP][25][/SUP] Meanwhile, at the western end of the lake, Toledo experienced a similar drop in water level. "

Lake Erie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll reiterate, I will stick with Alabama rivers and lakes. Crappie, Bass, Catfish and Bream will do just fine by me.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll reiterate, I will stick with Alabama rivers and lakes. Crappie, Bass, Catfish and Bream will do just fine by me.

LOL! MOST of the time it's fine. This has been a wild year. We have crappie, bass, catfish, pike, muskie, trout and the odd salmon. Then of course there are the walleye and yellow perch, which is what most people target here. It's a wonderful place to fish.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL! MOST of the time it's fine. This has been a wild year. We have crappie, bass, catfish, pike, muskie, trout and the odd salmon. Then of course there are the walleye and yellow perch, which is what most people target here. It's a wonderful place to fish.
We also have the scourge of the marine world - Asian Carp.

We must find a way to kill these POS fish before they kill the golden waters we enjoy so much. :mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

We must find a way to kill these POS fish before they kill the golden waters we enjoy so much. :mad:

It will NEVER happen as long as the federal government, along with this particular administration, are in charge. THEY DON'T CARE! Their only concern is protecting the greedy corporations and the big contributors to their campaigns. They suck worse than NOAA

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've read about those invasive carp. Maybe someone should introduce their enemy, all species have one, and let nature take its course.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've read about those invasive carp. Maybe someone should introduce their enemy, all species have one, and let nature take its course.

It's enemy would also be an invasive species. What they need to do is close the locks in Chicago and break the unnatural connection between the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes.