...fish flies!

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
Well, I'm back out on the road, after a week off from getting my van fixed. First load took me from Columbus, OH to Leamington, ON. When I got to the consignee, I noticed there was a "smell" in the air. While the guy was undloading me, I asked what the smell was, and he answered, "fish flies". I just figured it was a Canadian thing, but I asked anyways. He told me that last week, they were everywhere. They only live for a few days, then die, and now the dead ones are laying all over the place, and the smell is their little bodies rotting in the sun.

Well, I left and headed out and Canada, and intended on going to Monroe MI. When I got there, I got out of my van, and much to my surprise, I found out that Michigan had been INVADED by these smelly little bugs from Canada!

I moved farther south, stopping at the Pilot at the 210mm on I-75, and there they where again! Now I ready to all someone at the state level, to see if the Ohio National Gurad had been activated, but instead, I decided to head down to Stony Ridge and make sure the invasion hadn't spread too far south.

Arriving at the Flying J, and making a quick survey of the area, I noticed that the little bugger hadn't made it that far, so I took a position in the parking lot, that would allow me to scan the skys to the north and watch for the invaders.

When I woke up this morning, the parking lot was free of dead bugs, so I figured I was safe. I'm sorry we lost Michigan in the battle, but, we really didn't need it anyways! ;)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That's ok... at least we don't have an invasion of Buckeyes in Michigan. I hear they're really hard to get off your windshield if they don't wear their helmets ;)
:7 :7 :7 :7 :7

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Mike: I thought you found where the Chinese Canadians were having a cook out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A little late throwing in my two cents,

I hated the time of year when they (the fish flies) come out to mate.

About ten years ago I worked a route that took me through the biggest fish fly area in the state, each day I had to wash the car. It sometimes gets sickening driving on a road where you can’t see some of the lines because the fish flies are so heavy they cover them.

There is a fish fly festival in June if I remember right somewhere in New Baltimore or Harsens Island.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
It must be what we northerners call May Flies. You get so they don't bother you much. They don't bite or anyting like that. By the way. Did you know that Michigan once fought a little war over who gets Toledo? I guess we won but we didn't fight hard enough for you to take Detroit too.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yea...We Buckeyes got the "Black Swamp" and they got Detroit.

Hard to figure who the winner was.