First time back home

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is an update on my first time out. I spent nine weeks out, with breaking down twice in my new PM, but the module got fixed and I have not had any more problems with that. It has been up and down with the amount of loads and miles, but I am very happy with my company so far. Getting to know the dispatchers, managers, and owners is a big plus. My last run took me to Brunswick, Maine, and did that get cold quickly. I had bought the Buddy Heater, but could not find the proper hose to connect to a 20 lb tank. Every store that you can think of has the heater, yet no one carries the right hose. Forget about the little cylinder bottles, those are a joke. I decided I needed to head home to fix this problem, can't get much done out on the road when you don't know where anything is or who to talk to. My wife ordered the hose online and I have been home since the 30th and have been working on getting my van insulated (In record setting heat temps here in Florida, nothing like working with Reflectix in the bright sunshine at 90 some degree's). I am posting a few pics of my progress, which all these ideas came from here on the board, big thanks to all of you for that.

Attachments

• 20151103_124812.jpg
    20151103_124812.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • 20151103_124843.jpg
    20151103_124843.jpg
    977 KB · Views: 62
  • 20151103_135428.jpg
    20151103_135428.jpg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20151106_152002.jpg
    20151106_152002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 20151106_152042.jpg
    20151106_152042.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My wife ordered one from Amazon, going to put everything back in the van today to go back into service on Monday. I will try the heater out today to make sure. I also looked at the Espar site and seen that the D2 is not compatible with the EcoDiesel. I plan on roughing it for the next couple of years until my wife joins me, then I hope to get into a 170 sprinter type with a berth and all the goodies to make it home. I will be installing battery banks, inverter, and roof top air before next summer hits. Going to try to get through the winter without the block heater or generator this year by dropping and running back south if I have to. When I say roughing, that means an air mattress and a 4 in gel topper with a sleeping bag and Buddy heater to sleep with. I also had pics of the spray foam I used on all the ribs and voids in the van, so I should stay fairly comfortable, and if not, a hotel room will take the chill off.

Attachments

• 20151103_135428.jpg
    20151103_135428.jpg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20151103_135414.jpg
    20151103_135414.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: vandriver2

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Couldn't quite figure out what that pattern was on your hanging cloth separator. First I thought it was Halloween themed; so what is the pattern? Inquiring minds want to know!

Reactions: bigdogg

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is an update on my first time out. I spent nine weeks out, with breaking down twice in my new PM, but the module got fixed and I have not had any more problems with that. It has been up and down with the amount of loads and miles, but I am very happy with my company so far. Getting to know the dispatchers, managers, and owners is a big plus. My last run took me to Brunswick, Maine, and did that get cold quickly. I had bought the Buddy Heater, but could not find the proper hose to connect to a 20 lb tank. Every store that you can think of has the heater, yet no one carries the right hose. Forget about the little cylinder bottles, those are a joke. I decided I needed to head home to fix this problem, can't get much done out on the road when you don't know where anything is or who to talk to. My wife ordered the hose online and I have been home since the 30th and have been working on getting my van insulated (In record setting heat temps here in Florida, nothing like working with Reflectix in the bright sunshine at 90 some degree's). I am posting a few pics of my progress, which all these ideas came from here on the board, big thanks to all of you for that.
Great Job...well done!

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Couldn't quite figure out what that pattern was on your hanging cloth separator. First I thought it was Halloween themed; so what is the pattern? Inquiring minds want to know!
I am a die hard Patriot's fan. I was born and raised in Michigan, but after the way the Lions treated Barry Sanders, I started looking for another team, so when Brady went from U of M to New England, I went there also. I get a lot of response at my pick-ups and drops, not many are very kind LMAO.

Reactions: vandriver2

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I also looked at the Espar site and seen that the D2 is not compatible with the EcoDiesel.
That doesn't make sense. The EcoDiesel is a vehicle engine, which doesn't have to be running, or even be present for the Espar to operate. The only thing the Espar needs to operate is a battery for electrical power, and a fuel source: either the vehicle's fuel tank or a separate fuel tank.

Last edited:

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That doesn't make sense. The EcoDiesel is a vehicle engine, which doesn't have to be running, or even be present for the Espar to operate. The only thing the Espar needs to operate is a battery for electrical power, and a fuel source: either the vehicle's fuel tank or a separate fuel tank.
I just spent the last hour trying to find the site I was looking at about the Espar, and I could not find anything. I might have seen that warning on something else I was looking at. That is great, because when I can afford one, I sure will get it and the battery banks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I figured it was just one of those things where it got confused with something else. That's easy to do, especially when you are new at this and suddenly looking into a cornucopia of new things regarding what you want to do with the van.

You may have read somewhere (but not on the Espar site) about the Espar not being compatible with biodiesel, though. Some people incorrectly (sort of) think that's the case. The higher the level of biofuel in diesel, the more problems you'll have, but B20 is not a problem. The problem is at high levels of biodiesel you end up with carbon buildup on the atomizer screen, which will certainly cause the heater to fail. But the atomizer screen and glow pin are supposed to be changed annual, regardless, and the vent hole cleaned out, so B20 isn't a problem, if you change that screen once a year. Espar recommends no more than B20.

Also, something to park in the back of your mind for later retrieval, even during the summer the Espar heater needs to be run at a fairly high setting for 20 minutes a month. That keeps things lubricated and burns off gum and gunk.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I figured it was just one of those things where it got confused with something else. That's easy to do, especially when you are new at this and suddenly looking into a cornucopia of new things regarding what you want to do with the van.

You may have read somewhere (but not on the Espar site) about the Espar not being compatible with biodiesel, though. Some people incorrectly (sort of) think that's the case. The higher the level of biofuel in diesel, the more problems you'll have, but B20 is not a problem. The problem is at high levels of biodiesel you end up with carbon buildup on the atomizer screen, which will certainly cause the heater to fail. But the atomizer screen and glow pin are supposed to be changed annual, regardless, and the vent hole cleaned out, so B20 isn't a problem, if you change that screen once a year. Espar recommends no more than B20.

Also, something to park in the back of your mind for later retrieval, even during the summer the Espar heater needs to be run at a fairly high setting for 20 minutes a month. That keeps things lubricated and burns off gum and gunk.
Greatly appreciated Turtle

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am a die hard Patriot's fan. I was born and raised in Michigan, but after the way the Lions treated Barry Sanders, I started looking for another team, so when Brady went from U of M to New England, I went there also. I get a lot of response at my pick-ups and drops, not many are very kind LMAO.
Well we all make bad choices in life. I believe there are 12 step programs available for those patriot fans who want to change.

Reactions: Turtle

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well we all make bad choices in life. I believe there are 12 step programs available for those patriot fans who want to change.
I know I will really feel the love when we go undefeated this year and win the Superbowl.

Reactions: Treadmill