First Deer Hunt Score

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Had a great 3 days. Saw 8 deer, had one shot, took one. The best part was my Dad. He is 86 years old and STILL able to hunt!! Walks slow and can't go far but still no cain or walker. He walked into his spot, about 1/4 mile, on Sat morning before daylight. He called me on the radio, about 0830 while I was field dressing my deer, and told me he had a HUGE 6 point!! Not a lot of points but a heavy mature whitetail buck, 3 1/2 years old. It was heavy with a thick neck, in rut big time. We got some great pics of my Dad and myself and a few of the rest of the gang. It was the biggest deer my Dad every took. He said that he did not know if he would ever get another but said it was a great way to go out if he don't. The only downer was my brother. We were really hoping for a pic with all three of us with deer but he goofed up and missed the only shot he got. He did kill a healthy poplar sappling!!! I can't wait to get the pics back. We still have one more hunt in PA, maybe we can all score. I want that pic of all of us. I know I don't have many seasons left with my Dad. I cherish all that I have and will have great pics to remember that day always. Layoutshooter

moose

Veteran Expediter
Hey , as long as you dont shoot a Moose...
there is a restaurant in St. cloud ,M.N , on the north side , Hwy 15 x 29th st, dedicated for Hunters ,Might want to check them up.

Moose.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You are safe in Michigan Moose, no moose hunting in Michigan or Pennsylvania. I will check that place out if I ever get up that way again. Layoutshooter

moose

Veteran Expediter
nice thing about EO is that there never a too dumb of a question to ask , so here we go ...

what the heck are you guys do with them Deers after you kill them (it?),

moose.
Laredo.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Depending on the cut, breakfast, lunch or dinner!!!!!!!!!!!! Low fat, lowers bad colesteral, raise the good!!! What mankind is meant to eat, wild meat. Nothing like Bambi chilli!!! LOL, We all love venison here. Come over some time. Just had venison stew this evening. With a cold beer, nothing better!!!!!!!!!! Layoutshooter

moose

Veteran Expediter
so ., you make it your self ? ,no worry if its seek or something ?

what if you hit it with the truck , and he is just there on the side of the road , in one piece ...

Moose.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We do our own cooking, I do often have them processed at a butcher, just to save time. Not much chance of them being sick and you can almost always tell if they are. There are laws about keeping road kills, not hard to do, but often they are too messed up to use. What a waste. Many hunters often donate all or part of the game they take to charity. Last year Michigan hunters donated almost 25,000 lbs of meat. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We do our own cooking, I do often have them processed at a butcher, just to save time. Not much chance of them being sick and you can almost always tell if they are. There are laws about keeping road kills, not hard to do, but often they are too messed up to use. What a waste. Many hunters often donate all or part of the game they take to charity. Last year Michigan hunters donated almost 25,000 lbs of meat. Layoutshooter

Hey SLACKER....Congrats on the kill.....maybe next season for me.....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anytime you need help learnin how to hunt let me know. I am workin on my second hundred deer now. There has only been one year, 2007, since 1982 when I took at least one deer. Planning on two to three this year. We shall see. Layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's cool but to me about 99.937% of the good part of the story is getting to be out there with your dad regardless of anything else.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Sounds like a really nice time with your father and brother. I'm glad your Dad got a deer. Sounds like a cool man that likes to enjoy life to the fullest. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yea, he is a great guy. You are off on your math a tad Leo, it is about 99.998% about family and friends. Hunting is the excuse. We hunt in Pennsylvania where my Dad is from starting on the Monday after Thanksgiving. In PA you are required to have a camp roster on your cabin or tent, what ever you hunt out of. The well be 18 names on that roster this year, the first 15 will have the same last name. Only 2 of the 18 are not related and they have been hunting with us for soooo long that they might as well be relitives. I have not hunted there with them for 5 years, I can't wait. I miss it. Layoutshooter

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Congratulations Layout!! Your right! Hunting is only an excuse! :)
Your story brought back one of the most cherished memories I have of my dad. We went deer hunting together only one time. I shot, and missed, a huge 10 point early that morning. Like you, I did score a 'kill' on the tree! lol
We'd always talked about our "big hunting trip" we were going to take together out west and give those mule deer a scare. :) But, I lost my father when I was 18, all I have is the memory of our one hunt together!
Sure glad you've had so many years to enjoy your father!
Don't forget to post some of those pics!! Looking forward to seeing them!! :)))

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am a VERY lucky man to have him for so long. Take a look at these. My deer was small but I took it JUST so I could have this picture. I did take a second one last week, a huge doe. It was number 15 off my friends place. Layoutshooter

Attachments

• Joe and Dad 2008.jpg
    Joe and Dad 2008.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 875580-R1-00-20A.jpg
    875580-R1-00-20A.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 875580-R1-03-23A.jpg
    875580-R1-03-23A.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 6

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First pic on the left, My Dad and I with out deer.
Middle pic, Some of the "Gang"
Right pic, Me, Sammy, my dad's hunting partner of over 50 years and my Dad

Layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your poor brother. First he only gets 0.06% credit for making hunts fun and then doesn't get included in pictures. :confused: :p :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, Yea Leo, he was forced to leave for work. He has not had much lately. The sorry thing was it was canceled and they forgot to tell him. Chrysler does not always remember thier consultants. Sure wish he had been in that pic, even if we could only get the "Tree" he killed!!! Layoutshooter