FedEx ROUTING

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
When picking up or delivering does the driver have to use the routing given by fedex? Example if I have to deliver in NJ from south east do I have to do the toll roads or can I choose a route that has almost no tolls?

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You Determine the route that you take. Remember you are an Independent Contractor. They suggest a route.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
However if you are on an alternate route and something goes wrong such as major construction and you are subsequently late for the delivery ,you could be held responsible. If you are on their recommended routes and something goes wrong you are off the hook..

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
jrcarroll

I just returned to FedEx, and the way it was put to me in oreintation is the routes are suggested from the computer and the locals are usually from the customer. Always double check them. And if you prefer to duck a toll road nothing wrong with that, just know your alternate routes So you do not put yourself in a bad situation in case of an emergency. You can even let dispatch know your using a different route just so they don't lose track of you. I live in the NYC Area and I am always trying to keep my tolls to a min.

So if anyone ever has to come this way e-mail me I will give you my cell# and I will help you get around when in the NYC area.

AbeJr
(Still slightly a Newbie)
FedExCC
#D6425
OOIDA MEMBER

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As one senior White-Glove dispatcher once told me about the directions FedEx sends you via Qualcomm, "They're only recommendations, honey."

With every run, we map trace the route before leaving, using Delorme, Co-Pilot Truck or both. Once the best route is determined, we write the routing and the local directions on a notepad we keep on the dashboard. If Qualcomm fails (it has) we can continue to drive without taking time to boot up the computers or other interruption. Plus, it's easier and safer to see all the directions on a piece of paper when you are driving than to try to read them off the Qualcomm unit.

It pays to check the routing against your own computer mapping tools. FedEx routing follows major roads and usually maps the shortest route. We've seen it happen where adding just a few miles to the route or skipping one of FedEx's recommended shortcuts saves a great deal of time or makes for a much easier drive.

Once, by adding just seven miles to a route, we were able to totally avoid a night drive through West Virginia and drive instead through the flatter midwest.

On some New York to California runs, FedEx will route you through Ohio and Colorado, which takes you through the mountians on I-70. By adding about 100 miles to the route, dropping south sooner and picking up I-40, we enjoy higher speed limits, fewer tolls, and fewer major cities. In winter, that change can mean avoiding snow or worse.

In New Jersey, FedEx will often route you up or down the New Jersey Turnpike. I-295 runs almost along side the Turnpike for many miles. By taking I-295, you can avoid Turnpike tolls and avail yourself to some of the best-priced fuel in the northeast. (Flying J and Pilot at Carney's Point, and the TA at Paulsboro).

FedEx-provided routing and locals are a good start, but it pays to invest in computer mapping software and consider the alternatives. It also pays to invest in in-truck Internet access. When planning a trip, you can use the internet to check fuel prices along your route (use http://www.dieselboss.com/fuel.htm) and the weather.

For weather, we like http://www.weatherunderground.com/. There, you can enter any zip code, city or small town name and with your next mouse click, quickly get the current conditions and forcast on one page. We've found weatherunderground to be especially helpful with trips that take us over mountain passes. weatherunderground also gives elevations for the towns you are looking at. You can find the towns below and on top of the pass of interest and get a very good idea of what lies ahead.

If weather is bad on a route we'd normally take, it's back to the mapping software to explore alternatives.

Florida

Expert Expediter
Well put. The Internal Revenue Service has guidelines to determine whether the situation is an employee or contractor status, and one of those guidelines for a contractor is the ability to carry out the job in the manner as they see fit - WITHOUT outside instruction or interference from another controlling source.

There have a few cases taken to court and contractors were redesignated as employees due to the circumstances involved; usually after a few formal registered complaints against them by previous (usually abused) "contractors" made directly to the IRS.

And, that "employer" who tried to use people as contractors is now negotiating with the IRS about their failure of back witholding taxes, penalties and interest accumulation; and trying to avoid jail and bankruptcy.

check out the IRS web site for the exact details. As a delivery MISC-1099 contractor, you have rights. check any contract you sign for violation of these rights BEFORE signing away your self employment privvies. Remember, as a 1099 guy, it is YOU who is paying that 15% self employment tax; all by yourself. You have NO employer.

But, on the flipside - (typical govermental style), the DOT and FMSCA have determined that any contractor operating under the carrier authority and using their liability insurance coverage must adhere to certain almost-employee-like regulations - and yes, control.

It's your basic conflict of interest between 2 branches of the Federal government. IRS says one thing in scope, and the Dept of Transportation says another; and there is some overlying conflict between these 2 agencies and how they want contractors handled or controlled.

If you want to avoid being stuck in the middle, obtain your own operating authority, and be an Owner Operator in the true sense of the word; 100%. Problem with that is trying to compete with large multi-thousand truck fleet companies and the rates they offer to shippers.

A single man operation simply can't do it. You may have a customer and shipper one day, only to find that ABC trucking has offered a rate too low to refuse, and you lost that source of revenue. Even if you worded your shipping contracts carefully, and weighed in your favor, there is always going to be an "escape clause"; as any Esquire on the payroll of a truck company worth their salt would take one look at the contract and say PUT THIS WORDING IN THERE , amend the contract or we won't sign.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i was with fedexcc there was a run that said you had to take route you were gived by the customer if you were late you would pay for not taking there route
ran it though the computer and that route was the best
coming in from canada to va , and what ever the speed limit was you had to keep it up coming though the hill's of pa and md and va
and couldn't stop to many times and make it
if crossing border in new york and cleared customs quick you pick up some time, and many times made it with 15 min's to spare as they were checking where you were, and if it was rainning or const, traffic
used it to keep things on track

Florida

Expert Expediter
"Made it within 15 minutes to spare." <== ?

I can imagine what your blood pressure might have been like at that point. Did I read correctly? Make the delivery on time or else no payment? There should (or must) be escape clauses in your contract , known as Limited Liability or Hold Harmless, or some other legal terminology, which specifically leaves you at no fault whatsoever for shipments held back or made late due to acts of violence, public unrest, acts of God, inclement weather, and abnormal traffic conditions. Period. I know that I refuse to be held at fault or accountable for the acts or omissions of others.
What can you do when 5 lanes on interstate traffic have just shut down in Miami, while airlift helicopters pull the remains of human bodies from wrecks? I was put in that exact situation back in 1998.

I had another run from Orlando to Jacksonville for the Bank of ***, and those people wanted their delivery within a stated period of time; or else. Of course there was a huge amount of construction on I-95 between Orlando and J-ville, traffic backed up for miles choked down into 1 lane while paving was going on in the other 3 lanes.
I made that run with your 10-15 minutes time frame too; at the cost of tension, stress, and blood pressure. NOT HEALTHY.

As a member of OOIDA, besides "Say NO to cheap freight", there should be another slogan which reads as follows "Say NO to unreasonable shipping transit delivery time schedules".

Who needs a heart attack or stroke over a box?

Already seen quite a few tractor trailers rolled over in ditches with no skid marks; clear indication of falling asleep at the wheel...the person was pushing themself to make a schedule. Driving, driving, driving to the point of destroying the truck, the cargo, and perhaps their life.

Over the CB I heard somebody else saying "there ain't a delivery in this world worth somebody's life.." I'm inclined to agree.

Yes, there are Express and Expedited deliveries - but within reason.
If it has to get there that fast, then ship it by AIR, or if it has to go by ground, then use a team so the truck never stops rolling.
But that still doesn't discount the weather and traffic situations previously noted above. They happen, with great frequency.

This Bank I was writing about above wanted me to drive 140 miles in about 2 hours. Not a reasonable request. On the bottom of the daily shipping manifest, there was a PROVISO for delays. Reasons and explanations had to be given; time, place and situation in detail. This was my escape clause. Delay at pickup point by bank emlpoyees; held back by 15 minutes, etc, signed by the bank person I took the shipment from.

Mike
Florida Expedited Delivery
Orlando, Florida
Member: OOIDA

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK here is what I do;

If I am in my home area, I ask the dispatcher who I am picking up for, usually I know most of the customers or their locations then I just go. Knowing most of the south east Michigan area pretty well it takes more time to look at directions than to just go. This also counts for areas i.e. Charleston SC, that I know.

Otherwise I take the pick up address and put it into my laptop; Streets and Trip to look at where it is, I don’t care about delivery yet. I look at my present location to figure out which way to go then compare them to the directions on the clink. I found that the clink (customer given directions) are sometimes wrong and send trucks down restricted roads (not worried unless it say’s no commercial vehicles). Most of the time I can figure out my path to a pick up and write it down in less than 4 minutes. I do the same for delivery when I am ready to roll.

I haven't been late yet for either a pick up or delivery but really really close.