FedEx Representatives Address Open Forum Topics

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE: FedEx Representatives Address Open Forum Topic

This thread should be condensed in with the "Toot your own horn" thread.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

For clarification I asked Phil to cover this story for us and also to help promote the story by getting the word out by posting the story in our forums.

Also, while our Terms of Use prohibit promoting other similar trucking web sites via linking in the forum, we have a cooperative agreement with Phil and Successful Expediters.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding – the focus of this thread should return to the quality content of the article, it was a job well done!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Mudflap

Expert Expediter

ATeam, I have not ran you in to the ground or attacked your motives. I have admittingly questioned your postings, that is not an attack, and any self respecting person should welcome questions, not be offended by them.

Phil, I have looked at your, "blog," site as was your recommedation. Thus far I see only blogs from you. Has anyone else submitted any stories for you to publish? It states that part of your site is not yet live. What is your projected date for it to go live? Why do you not welcome bloggers to your site through EO? I also know your site has been around for quite some time, allowing no input from anyone outside of you.

Your, blog," site does not compete with EO? Who on EO sells Volvo trucks, ARI sleepers, Leyman lift gates, etc-etc? Mudflap
\

ATeam

Retired Expediter

My web site is a hobby. I plink away at at as my time and interest permit. There is no time frame for taking the blog concept live. Doing so means adding blogware to the site, which is a project not yet started. For now, I'm simply pulling together old journal entries and photos and manually posting them on the site. I've written more pieces than I realized in the last three years. The site provides a good way to organize and present them.

A few people have asked about blogging but have not followed through. I have asked a few friends if they would be willing to blog when I take the blog concept live. Some said yes but I have not followed through. Again, this is a hobby. I'm in no rush to do anything with the site and am under no deadlines. There is no projected date or set time frame for taking the blog concept live.

I want to get my own stuff organized and up on the site before I open the site to others. When blogware is installed and others get involved, time will be required to provide administrative support. I want to get my own stuff done first. Then I can blog in real time like the rest of them.

I do not expect many people to get involved. This is a hobby, a passtime, something I do for fun. If numerous people got involved, it would become work and the hobby purpose would be defeated.

Have you noticed how dull and drab the site itself is? There are no grapics to speak of, no glitzy web page designs. Part of the hobby is personal growth and skill development. While I can hold my own as an internet strategest, I have always envyed the technical skills web designers have. I want to get better at graphics and such. Some of the time I spend on the site is behind the scenes reading up on and experimenting with the technical side of web site development.

Regarding the final qustion you asked, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. I don't see how listing on my web site the vendors that served us well competes with EO. They are not sponsors. They do not pay me for links. I have not solicited advertising from them.

By choice, and as part of our goal to simplify our lives, Diane and I make our money on the road, not on the internet. Lawrence and all others are more than welcome to the business and for-profit side of providing expediting information.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

OMG, I can’t help what I am going to say.

Phil’s website (not really a blog in the truest sense) is alright; I use it to find out details of his truck as it was a sales cut sheet. You know when I need to know if it has a Self-canceling turn signal switch or what those blank spots are for on the dash I can go to his truck spec page.

Seriously guy (and gals) I have to defend Phil about his site. I mean that just because he has the site does not mean anything is going on with a conflict of interest. In fact his lack of ads, his mention of equipment with links to the manufacture and reprinting of the articles he has written for EO is a good thing. It actually promotes EO, I won’t explain why or how you just have to think about it and learn about how the internet works.

My only complaint was when Phil was putting together the Expediters history project and his insistence to host the forum, which is competition for EO. I guess I won the debate but I always hope the project would move forward and probably is doing that right now.

Now the site itself, as Phil has said is dull and drab and it looks like he just used a template to put it together, which is better than most can do. I know that he can do better but it is a personal thing at this point – at least his truck is not dull and drab!

<Shameless plug ahead>

Just to throw a couple other things in, I have several blogs running right now (actually 17 with two new ones coming up). A few are neglected (mainly test sites and uncompleted installs for others who don’t pay) and a bunch are managed by others while I manage the remaining blogs. The blogs that are managed by others make money through advertising that is shared with a few non-profit orgs as part of my thanks to them for help they provided. The content is written by many (sometimes paid) and in many cases the content is exclusive to the site while some of the content is open to reprinting through Creative Commons Licensing organization. The advertising revenue comes from Google, Amazon and Yahoo and with my forced time off, I have been working on eBay advertising system with my extensive experience working with eBay development program so I can sell live auction ads on all the sites. Oh just to tell yoy if you are interested, I use WordPress exclusively for all the blogs (I use OScommerce for the ecommerce sites) because I had a serious falling out with the three apart guys who created movable type and I used to use for everything.

But I, like Phil also have a dull and drab (teal green and different shades of blue right now) about my truck, the work I do with it and a lot of other information (much has not been posted yet because of my lack of illustrations for them) that I hope will eventually help others. I don’t allow comments from others and do have advertising on the site which is because I have to support the site and other sites which means I have not made my first million with my truck.

Now with all that information and shameless promotion about my sites just happen, I have asked Lawrence and Dale to put a link in my signature line and got permission (may have changed since, I will ask again). I hesitate to put the links in my signature line because the site is not up to my standards and the content is not complete enough to help others.

<End of shameless plug>

Again Back To Work.......

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

What Greg said. :)

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar

Mudflap

Expert Expediter

Thank you for the answers ATeam. As I stated early in this thread I did not see anything wrong with the site linked to as far as a personal thing if other members were allowed to do the same- I just didn;t see any other members with those types of links.

Although the personal site is not glitzy or anything, you have to admit when one sees an impressive truck like that and looks through the list of suppliers, that very few are those who advertise or are promoted by the EO site. The reason this confuses me is that your signature shows you as a site Field Editor. Yet under that when looking at the bio and truck specs it says to me just buy the exact opposite of what the EO site promotes, and you will have the best. Is there not some logic on my part with this reasoning? Again, I am not picking on anyone or running anyone in to the ground, I am just inquiring. Mudflap