FedEx CC and B units.. Phasing Out??

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Does anyone know why FedEx CC still isn't putting B units on? Are they phasing them out, or do they only put vans on from some of their straight truck O-Os who may have switched to a van instead? Ive been out of expediting for 2 years. Never saw Roberts-FedEx cut back on adding Bs for so long.
Sorry if this has been asked B4

markafd

Expert Expediter
twin pop usa, last I knew fdcc had putting B units on for the last couple months and not only current contractors. I dont believe they are doing away with them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
> Does anyone know why FedEx CC still isn't putting B units
>on? Are they phasing them out, or do they only put vans on
>from some of their straight truck O-Os who may have switched
>to a van instead? Ive been out of expediting for 2 years.
>Never saw Roberts-FedEx cut back on adding Bs for so long.
> Sorry if this has been asked B4

Well I guess I may have an answer for this, but someone may correct me. I was the very last (or I am told) van being signed on with FedEx CC for the year. I started in November and was told that they have enrollment every quarter with a limited number of b and c units as part of their operating plan. I like this type of planning because if a company keeps recruiting, even with attrition a few companies can’t handle the competition within their own ranks.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The FedEx Custom Critical recruiting policy, as I understand it, is not unlike that of many, if not all, the major expedite carriers, and it has remained unchanged for as many years as I've been with them. They are constantly revising their fleet size to accomodate business levels and strive to maintain the perfect mix of trucks to freight. More often than not it seems as though they have altogether too many of whatever size truck is being discussed, vans being no exception.

The van seems to be the most popular vehicle for financially stapped wannabes and old-timers wanting to get away from the logs, scales and DOT roadside inspections. Because of its popularity, carrier quota are quickly filled and they may go for long periods without increasing the van fleet sizes. I can say with high confidence, however, that Custom Critical has no pending plan to eliminate vans from their inventory.

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Thats why I wish to run a van with FedEx.. because they seem to be making more of an effort to insure against overstaffing and filling up the Flying J & TA lots with vans. I guess.. How is it that some other companies are still adding B's to their fleet these days? Or are they cutting back also? My last truck was a C with FedEx 2 yrs. ago, wasn't paying much attention to B's then.