Fed up & disgusted!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the reason to tie into the engine is for winter time keeping the engine warm.

Well, yeah, I get that, but where is the benefit when that can be done with the simple, tried and true block heater?

I tried the timer for keeping the bunk warm/cool exactly once. It just makes more sense to me to keep the thing running. The little bit of fuel saved isn't worth listening to the thing turn on and off. I do keep the voltage timer on, but the vast majority of the time I keep the batteries up without using it.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
everthing from my geneator is under my bed when the apu/gen quit i went to a gas gen worked for
awhile and it quit i went and purchased a diesel gen that weighs 385 dry 6.5 gal tank i wired a diesel fuel pump to it from from my tanks at 1855. for gen and new bracket pump its a much better deal the gen is garunteed for 1 yr or 1000 hrs hoping for more but even if i replace the gen every year for 1299. free ship, no tax i can put 5 of them on in the next 5 yrs and still break even just sayin. ps it has a key fob remot start.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil I thought a feature of Landstar was the ability to find loads using your computer. Maybe that is for truckload freight.

It's the weekend and we need to get to ARI now. Most agents do not work on the weekends.

Ours is a small truck (16 foot box). That limits directional freight options. If you are willing to wait long enough, you can probably find something but we do not have the luxury of time now. We did before but kept forgetting that our generator had a problem.

There are other load boards outside of Landstar that can be used if you find a willing agent to book the freight. But money gets skimmed off the top leaving you the ability to drive at breakeven at best. Using those boards, we can probably find freight moving in any direction we choose, but there is no money in it and those brokers take the weekends off too. So do most shippers.

At our previous carrier and our present one, we have played around with directional freight from multiple sources and find it to be pretty-much the same. If you are willing to wait long enough and/or run cheap enough you can get anywhere you want to go. But it simply is not worth the bother to commit to a load that pays nothing. We'll take the financial hit and get to our trusted vendors straightaway.

While this is Landstar Express America, it is expediting too. Finding good-paying directional freight with a straight truck is not something that can be done at will.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'll bet a dollar that says your issue is the starter itself, Phil.

I'm open to all ideas. Why do you suspect the starter? Except for the times the generator would not start and I wiggled the wires, the starter seemed to work fine. I'm suspecting corrosion myself.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I'm open to all ideas. Why do you suspect the starter? Except for the times the generator would not start and I wiggled the wires, the starter seemed to work fine. I'm suspecting corrosion myself.

You drove it about 20 miles, tried it again, and it started. Real similar, IMHO, to rapping on the starter motor itself while stationary, just by the jarring while driving. Just replaced mine 2 weeks ago.

Curious to hear what you find out.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Me too. We're getting truck done in Fort Wayne today and will be at ARI tomorrow. We're going to remove the generator from the truck, open the panels and inspect the wiring and connections. While it is off the truck, we will replace all hoses.

While the generator still runs quiet enough for someone to speak with a normal voice and be heard while standing next to it, it runs louder than before. We will inspect all rubber mounts and may replace the muffler.

I'm looking forward to opening the generator up and peering inside.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We're in the ARI service bay now with the generator out of the truck and the panels removed. It has been in the truck for six years and has provided 11,500 hours of nearly trouble-free service (fuel pump warranty replace in first weeks after install, belt replacement done myself, exhaust flex pipe replaced in year six). But after six years, it is proving to be very wise to reward our generator's faithful service by giving it a trip to the day spa, so to speak.

Unlike most generators that are seen on trucks, Onan generators are made for big RV's and are tightly packed together. The only way to see some of the components is to remove the generator from the truck and open it up as we are doing today.

Findings:

1. The generator got dirty (no surprise). Especially significant was the dirt that built up in the radiator fins. We had no cooling system issues but eventually would have if the radiator fins had not been cleaned.

2. The molded hose that runs from the water pump to the radiator was not leaking but had grown soft in one place. It would have burst at some point in the future so we replaced it.

3. The other cooling system hoses were fine. No action taken.

4. The increased noise (mentioned above) was due to a cracked air box (my term). There is an air intake hose that leads from the air filter to a plastic box. The box connects to the intake manifold. Technicians said heat, vibration and age degrade the structural integrity of the plastic, which explains our cracks. Some non-filtered air would have been drawn in through the cracks. Probably not a serious problem because we rarely run the generator when driving, and when we do, it's only for short periods. No dust when we run the generator while parked. Even with the cracks, the majority of the intake air would still be filtered. Box will be replaced. It is not in stock but ordered for delivery tomorrow. Improvement in engine breathing may be noticed but no performance issues had been noticed before, other than a slight increase in engine noise.

5. One motor mount replaced. It was still intact but the rubber was softer than that of a new mount. Got that way, probably, from oil spilled on it during oil changes that soaked in over time.

6. Engine coolant was found in the water pump weep hole. We had no issues with coolant loss or overheating but, clearly, the water pump was on its way out. Replaced.

7. Power output terminals were corroded. No issues related to that. Like battery terminals, they need to be cleaned every now and then.

8. The starting issue remains undiagnosed. They are cleaning up the generator and making obvious repairs first. One electrical connection is corroded but we do not know if that was the problem. Continuity checks will be made later.

While it would have been nice to not deadhead as far as we did to get here, we are delighted, as usual, with the attention to detail and care ARI technicians are giving. If the above issues were not resolved with a day-spa trip like this now, they would have resulted in generator failure and more down time later.

We will leave here very confident in this piece of equipment and expect thousands more hours of trouble-free service out of it. Onan generators with over 25,000 hours on them are commonly seen here. They have seen one with over 40,000 hours on it. They consider our 11,500 hours in six years to be light use.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

We found out nothing. Wires were inspected. Connections and grounds were cleaned. Continuity was tested while wiggling the wires in question. The generator ran fine before it went in the shop and is running fine now. The no-start situation cannot be recreated so further diagnosis is not possible.

Having no better theory to work with, we'll go with yours, AJ. We'll see if the condition develops again. If it does, I'll rap on the starter/solenoid to see what happens. The good news is that if it turns out to be the starter, it's a repair I can do myself.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
We found out nothing. Wires were inspected. Connections and grounds were cleaned. Continuity was tested while wiggling the wires in question. The generator ran fine before it went in the shop and is running fine now. The no-start situation cannot be recreated so further diagnosis is not possible.

Having no better theory to work with, we'll go with yours, AJ. We'll see if the condition develops again. If it does, I'll rap on the starter/solenoid to see what happens. The good news is that if it turns out to be the starter, it's a repair I can do myself.

If and when it happens, I'd like to know what that starter costs. Ours crapped out 3 weeks ago, and the part alone was $298. The guy thought I was joking when I asked if they were owned by Freightliner.

Like you, we had ours gone through thoroughly while there. We had the belts replaced, and the tech there really knew his biz. I believe it is Transport Refrigeration Services in Hudsonville, MI. Spotless shop. That's HUGE to us.

FWIW, ours has just a hair fewer hours than yours, which roughly equates to just as many starts with that starter.

Thank you for reporting back on yours.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Like you, we had ours gone through thoroughly while there. We had the belts replaced, and the tech there really knew his biz. I believe it is Transport Refrigeration Services in Hudsonville, MI. Spotless shop. That's HUGE to us.

Our work was done by the ARI guys in the ARI shop.