Fatigued Driving

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That's like the question on a 'test' to determine drug dependency: "Do you find yourself watching the clock until it's time for the next pain pill?" If you're in pain, absolutely - but that's considered a sign of 'dependency', and the need for treatment?!
I guess it's all about who wrote the questions, and what they have to gain by their interpretation of the answers.

BTW: I've also read that the WalMart driver hadn't slept for 24 hours, .
Walmart uses EBOR so he would have had to hve told them he had been up for 24 hours. Of course the EBOR could have been going berzerk for 14 hours.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
TV is now all over this wreck that Injured the Comedian Traci Morgan, claiming SLEEP DEPRIVED TRUCKERS...after it became clear the Walmart truck driver had not slept in 24 hours....so all of us get painted as Crazed Deranged and Dangerous, and You can be sure this will play out in Congress, in Commercials for Law Firms and etc....and around the dining room table tonight.

How do you make someone run legally....The News I just watched on Channel 5 is claiming trucks KILL 11 PEOPLE A DAY....How many are killed in CARS...I hate this crap....sensational reports of crazed bloodshot eyeballs, leering out the cab, stick shift in hand, Cowboy hat flapping in the breeze....HOGWASH.

A very small percentage of real idiots allow themselves to operate these vehicles unsafely, a very small percentile...the rest of us make it our mission to be safe, when do we get our story in the news. I knew after I heard this story that this would happen, OOIDA had to cringe, as did others knowing full well were all about to be painted with red Paint, dangerous...unsafe....crazed....

Sad this "accident" happened and sad the driver of the truck stayed awake 24 hours, even sadder our news reporting uses US as whipping boys to Lay Blame and stir the fires...I can see more SERIAL KILLER ads coming soon....sickening....and SAD.

This celebrity-involved (Tracy Morgan) major-brand (Walmart) wreck that happened in the heart of one of America's largest media markets is a PR disaster for the trucking industry. All the major news organizations are picking it up and running it in depth because in the vernacular of the trade, this story has legs.

Law enforcement is playing into it too. Notice how fast the investigation is proceeding and charges are filed. It seems that public officials can't get in front of the national-story cameras fast enough to announce their findings.

It is disgusting to read the various reports online. Years of effort by truckers and trucking organizations to get the word out that most truck accidents are caused by at-fault four-wheelers, the percentage of wrecks in which fatigue is a factor is tiny, etc. have had no effect. While millions of safe miles are driven each day, the journalists are having a feeding frenzy promoting truck myths as they rely on false assumptions and cover the story. It is as if the trucking industry has never said anything at all to defend itself and get the word into the public mind that safety is a priority in the industry.

Clearly, despite years and years of PR work, the trucking industry has failed to get it into people's minds that there is more to the truck safety story than evil truckers. This single wreck saturated the airwaves with "information" that revives and reinforces in the public mind false myths about trucking.

Last edited:

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
BTW: I've also read that the WalMart driver hadn't slept for 24 hours, [and by all accounts, he was a jerk of a driver], but I haven't seen anything about how they know that - has anyone? Are they just going by his log? I'm pretty sure he didn't admit to it, because it doesn't say "He told police", it just says he hadn't slept for 24 hrs.

Just because a driver is using e logs or paper logs, and logs off duty does not mean he or she retired to the sleeper and got 8-10hrs sleep. there are many drivers who after being up all day long, gets a call about a run. Then runs an all nighter to get the load delivered on time.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no way WalMart would have let that driver drive if they knew stayed up for 18 or 20 hours before coming on duty. There isn't a person here that thinks that.. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have no way to know what the driver did during his last break. However I do know what WM demands of drivers like us when we arrive at their docks. There is waiting around, then driver unloads. all demanded and covered by us fools as sleeper, or off duty.
If this was the case WM is in for big hurt. The lawyers will rip them to shreds. Especially if the OJ "Dream Team" could be on board.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now that I understand NJ law on drowsy driving, the DA had no choice but to claim the truck driver was up over 24 hours, because without that claim he has no case for death by vehicle or any of the other charges. Now I believe since the DA office won't say if the driver told them he was over 24 hours the DA made up those numbers hoping that they can prove it when they go thru his phone and records, because they won't get that from the ELD from the truck because WM wouldn't let the driver drive if he didn't have the off duty or sleeper berth time needed to run. They would have either sent a message to the driver or called him.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Do you think the modern media has anything to do with facts, reality or actual news? I don't. It used to be, if you worked for the National Enquirer you were scorned. Now everyone wants to be the National Enquirer. It's all about hype, spin and BS. With Twitter, Face Book, spam, pop ups, pop unders, cookies and the many other ways to violate your privacy, there is way to much communication. It doesn't matter where you are, on any financial, political or social scale, you are being targeted with what is hoped to be mind altering media.
The "reporters" covering this Walmart / celeberty crash saw a huge oportunity to make the national media and the fact they could shout about a fatigued truck driver just made it that much sweeter.
Fortunatly, there are still safe havens, in the monster we call the media, where we can relax in common sense and sanity. I like Brazilian Butt Lift and Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Heard an interesting angle to the Tracy Morgan crash investigation. Correct me if I'm wrong! Most Walmart DC's are pretty much scattered every other state or in each one? When seeing their truck, the DC where they're domiciled out of is on the truck by the sleeper. So if this guy lived in Georgia, why was he based out of the Delaware warehouse? Yes no wonder driver fatigue is being the major cause factor!!!!!

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Asked a friend of mine the same question. He's been with them for 20 years this year. They hire out of Bentonville Arkansas and you can pick from any center that is hiring at that time. He said its common for a driver to drive that far to work. He should have come in the day before and slept but he decided not to. I see jail time in his future.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
This accident makes the 14 hour rule look bad.
He didn't have time for a power nap.
With less than 30 minutes on his 14 his mind told him hurry,hurry !

Unfortunately, we have politicians reacting to the headlines instead of the facts.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
After drivin the nj turnpike for many years I find it odd he was only going 65 when we all know most times late at night traffic there is doing well over that speed!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
After drivin the nj turnpike for many years I find it odd he was only going 65 when we all know most times late at night traffic there is doing well over that speed!

I hear that. I hated those Turnpike electronic speed limit signs. They would change the sign from 65 to 45 for no good reason that I could ever see, and when I would slow to obey and keep my nose clean, I think I was the only vehicle on the road doing so. I wanted to maintain my perfect driving record but those signs sucked because everyone but me seemed to ignore them.

On that road, it is not unusual that someone would be doing 65 in a 45. It is unusual that anyone obeys the 45 mph speed limit when they change those signs.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
On that road, it is not unusual that someone would be doing 65 in a 45. It is unusual that anyone obeys the 45 mph speed limit when they change those signs.
Good luck. when he tries telling that to the judge.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the load delivers direct and the human body is tired what is one to do, when swapping is no option?! Yelling at yourself works, radio. Every mile is painful.. maybe a 30 min nap would help but I have a hard time waking back up that soon :) I guess getting some caffeine prolly works for most of you guys. I take a small dose 40-60mg but that wears off. Having a good nights sleep and decent meal always helps.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I recently read an article on the nj state police saying that they avoid patrolling the turnpike as it's too dangerous for their troopers
Also stated they only allow a trouper on it if they have at minimum 18 months highway driving experience ( I guess they specialize in side streets)