Canada FAST card

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My carrier asked me to apply for a FAST card, so I did. Just wondering how long it takes....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you haven't already, an appointment to interview with US and Canada Customs agents including fingerprinting needs to be arranged, and then a couple weeks after that you get the card.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, Scott. Wondering about the timeframe between applying online and getting the appointment.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I honestly don't remember but I think if you make yourself available it can be done fairly quickly.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Harry, what company did you go with? I'm asking cause I got my fast card back in 2005 and I have never done a fast load yet with Panther, FedEx, and Landstar. Waste of money for me. And I've done a fair amount of Canada loads.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ProEx, Cleveland area. I have a passport already, but they told me I need a FAST card if they want to send me up.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My experience was same as FlyingVan's: not much demand for FAST loads, but I had a sneaking suspicion that I'd be kept on 'reserve' just in case one popped up, while those without the card were getting loads to other places. Also, being qualified for Canada upped the base pay for every load, so maybe they called the less expensive vans first? Just a thought....
If your carrier can keep you busy with FAST loads, it would be worth it.
Getting the card didn't take long at all, if I remember correctly.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
thing is...to be able to submit an ACE (entry) manifest...you need a FAST card....the load does not have to be a FAST load...Things have changed much since 05.....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
thing is...to be able to submit an ACE (entry) manifest...you need a FAST card....the load does not have to be a FAST load...Things have changed much since 05.....
Not true. If it is a FAST load but driver isn't FAST approved then it needs to be cleared on ACE manifest.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not true. If it is a FAST load but driver isn't FAST approved then it needs to be cleared on ACE manifest.

and there ya go....proof...when i did US entries...you need a FAST card to enter the US on the old line release....if no FAST card you need to rip off the line release and enter country thru brokers...manual release...
that was pre ACE

Never done a Can. entry with the new system...

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you haven't already, an appointment to interview with US and Canada Customs agents including fingerprinting needs to be arranged, and then a couple weeks after that you get the card.
You must wait until you get approval letter from CVSA before making appointment.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Harry, what company did you go with? I'm asking cause I got my fast card back in 2005 and I have never done a fast load yet with Panther, FedEx, and Landstar. Waste of money for me. And I've done a fair amount of Canada loads.

We had a FAST card when we first started but let it expire. We never once ran a FAST load.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most FAST are automotive loads....I bring them to our X dock all the time.....

The only I used my FAST card for was to use the empty FAST lane....:p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I never had a FAST load, either, and let mine expire, as well. But I had border guards on both sides of the border tell me they prefer a FAST card to any other form of ID because of the amount of background and historical information they get from scanning that bar code on the FAST card.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think FAST has anymore, likely less, background checks than HAZMAT, TSA/IAC or DOD clearances do

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't think FAST has anymore, likely less, background checks than HAZMAT, TSA/IAC or DOD clearances do
None of those you listed are valid WHTI ID for crossing the border, though. Of all the WHTI approved documents, the FAST card provides the most amount of background and historical information.

As for more or less, the FAST card background check is far more thorough than the TSA or the HAZMAT check. It's closer to a DOD check, since FAST and DOD pick up all misdemeanors and arrests, regardless of how long ago, regardless of the disposition of the case.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
None of those you listed are valid WHTI ID for crossing the border, though. Of all the WHTI approved documents, the FAST card provides the most amount of background and historical information.

As for more or less, the FAST card background check is far more thorough than the TSA or the HAZMAT check. It's closer to a DOD check, since FAST and DOD pick up all misdemeanors and arrests, regardless of how long ago, regardless of the disposition of the case.

OK, I get it.