Canada FAST card

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When I go into Canada, I hand them three copies of the Customs Invoice, one of which has the PARS sticker on it, and my FAST card. On A49 loads, I hand them the A49 sheet, and my FAST card. On one occasion I had a Canadian Customs officer ask to see my birth certificate, but I think she was just trying to rattle me, since you can't get a FAST card without one. I complies without comment, and was allowed to proceed without incident.

When coming into the US, I hand them my ACE cover sheet, with the File code and Clearance number hand written on the top of the sheet, and my FAST card. I have never been asked by a US Customs official for any other type of ID.

The first half a dozen or so trips into and out of Canada after I got my FAST card, I was still presenting my CDL as my ID. One time I asked the US booth guy if he preferred the CDL or the FAST card.

"Oh, you have a FAST card? That's much better. It tells us everything we need to know with one scan of the bar code on the back. It even gives us your entire border crossing history."

Interesting.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting..indeed....I was once asked for ID and handed him my FAST card and was rebuked and read the riot act.....and another time I handed my passport and he said do you have a FAST card?

Interesting yet....

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The story I got from the FAST folks was that the card was only a way to attach a "driver" to a pre approved fast load. For example, if your load is FAST approved and you as the driver of said load are an angel, load goes through because the whole package (you and the load) are likely low risk.

If you are a naughty boy and start becoming a low life, chances are greater that something will be out of place, the shipper does everything right but YOU slip something into the load that is a no-no.

The program is to make sure everyone, shipper, consignor and carrier are all above board. Given the problems carriers have doing good background checks, you having that card lets the border guys know that at least they checked you out themselves.

Them asking you for ID is to verify that you match the Fast data that your card transmitted at the transponder thingy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Piper1 said "Them asking you for ID is to verify that you match the Fast data that your card transmitted at the transponder thingy."

nope not it....never crossed with a fast load even once in over 6 years!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The story I got from the FAST folks was that the card was only a way to attach a "driver" to a pre approved fast load.

True. When a FAST load crosses, the FAST card will match to the pre-approved information in the FAST load. But that's far from the only thing a FAST card is good for, or is used for.

The program is to make sure everyone, shipper, consignor and carrier are all above board. Given the problems carriers have doing good background checks, you having that card lets the border guys know that at least they checked you out themselves.
That's what the program was designed for, but it hasn't turned out that way. Very few shippers or consignees took the time and effort to get themselves FAST Approved. The carriers and drivers did, but it all falls apart unless everyone in the chain is Approved. The US-Canadian border people finally gave up and are using the FAST card for other purposes. One is for ID (the back of my FAST card says, "Not an official travel document", BTW, OVM, instead of 'not to be used for ID').

The relatively intense background check for the FAST card rivals that of the CDL and HAZMAT background check, as well as the background check for the passport, which is why the US government is, at least for now, allowing the use of a FAST card in lieu of a passport as valid proof of US citizenship and ID at the border.

When they scan that bar code on the FAST card they instantly know everything about you. They know your border crossing history, even if you've had any recent arrests or convictions in either country. And, obviously, they how long it's been since you last crossed and how long you stay in each country between crossings. The most frequent question I get from Canadian Customs at the booth is, "When did you last cross into Canada?"

Ya see, they already know the answer to that question. In fact, they know the precise answer, and I really don't, not usually, not without looking it up, unless I've crossed very recently. My answer is usually something like, "I dunno, it's been a while. Couple of months, maybe?" At least it's an honest answer, if not precise. But it's close enough to let them know that I am who I say I am, which is what they're after with that question. Of course, if I had crossed last week, I'd tell them so. But often there are times when weeks or months go by when I don't cross into Canada, and other times I'm crossing 2 or 3 times in a week. If they ever require a more precise answer, I'll simply look it up.

OVM: When I hand them my paperwork I always hand them my FAST card at the same time. I pinch the FAST card at the corner of the paperwork and they grab the card and the paperwork at the same time. I've never been asked for an ID in addition to that, but if I ever am I'll certainly know they want something other than my FAST card, so I'm sure I'll say something like, "Sure. Do you want my CDL or my birth certificate?"

The other day I crossed at Ft Erie, around 1AM on a lonely and relatively deserted Saturday morning, and handed the guy my A49 sheet and FAST card, and he studied the A49 sheet real hard, then asked if I had my FAST card. I told him, "No. I just gave it to you." He looked in his other hand, shook his head, said "You know its been a long day when that happens." He laughed, barely glanced at my FAST card, and then handed it back to me and said "Have a good one." Too funny.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should've been a bit clearer OVM,

I meant it was the reason you are still supposed to have other ID in a FAST lane with a FAST load and not use your FAST card as personal ID.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
1: The back of my FAST card says, "Not an official travel document", also...( i was too lazy to get my wallet and check the official quote)

2: The relatively intense background check for the FAST card rivals that of the CDL and HAZMAT background check, as well as the background check for the passport, which is why the US government is, at least for now, allowing the use of a FAST card in lieu of a passport as valid proof of US citizenship and ID at the border.

So what your saying is #2 has now made #1 obsolete for the interim? FAST now can be used as a travel document?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, the first thing I learned is that you can't do anything in Detroit, so over the bridge I went. I was given an app, told it would be processed like before, everything done the same as before. Wait for the letter, go back in, ect. I just don't need it bad enough to have to plan another special trip over since I don't go very often. Heck, once I'm out I don't even get to Michigan much or near any border crossing town for that matter. When I came back into Detroit, the lady in the booth seemed very suspicious that I would go to this trouble when I could have just downloaded an app off the internet. But they're paid to be suspicious, right? She also said that renewal is the whole process over again. Sounds like you and JuJu got away with one, OVM.

So, the heck with the FAST, I'm going to do without it. The lady in the booth in Detroit was very impressed that I had a passport and said it's an excellent document. She didn't even make me pay the $10.75! So, that's my story. To those of you with renewal coming up, I would recommend downloading the app and saving a trip.

Reporting for EO, this is Highway Star. Now, go out there and make it a great day!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well theres more to the JuJu story I didn't tell....ya see our cards were old and warped from the sun....and the guy in the booth was holding them and OPPS he snapped them in half!!! To which he said looks like they need replacing now. They have a FAST center in Champlain NY so in we went. The guy did JuJu's replacement card and when it came out of print the card that is.....it now had a new renewal date 2011. He called his supervisor and came back and said JuJu's was free because thier computer program won't let him go back and correct his error....so JuJu's was FREE!!! Then he turned to me and said..." Don't expect me to make the same mistake twice!

I don't think I'll renew either E-1 does no FAST as they let thier license expire or whatever they call it. I have a passport , drivers license and birth certifacate ALSO my Permanent resident card that has photo and thumbprint embossed!!

If it'd not me I don't know who it is!!!*L*

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Douglas, BC (Blaine, WA) have recently installed a FAST booth for NB traffic so I don't see it going away. Trouble is FAST traffic often cannot get to the FAST both as there are only two approach lanes which dump into the two non FAST lanes. Supposedly the left one is for FAST traffic only but most times it will be blocked by non FAST traffic............seems pointless having it if you cannot access it.

As far as FAST for ID...........seems strange that you cannot use FAST for ID when you must prove citizenship to GET the FAST card in the first place. I just turned in an application and check off both US and Canadian citizenship which should be interesting but will continue to carry DL, citizenship card, birth certificate and passport.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have our CDL. birth certificates, FAST cards, CCW AND monogramed toliet paper for ID.
As for the FAST cards, we have not run even ONE FAST load since we started in the business 3 years ago. I would be hard pressed to renew.$50 or maybe more now, all those hoops to jump through etc. I will have to think long and hard. I will for sure if FedEx still requires it. Other wise, why spend money for something I will never use? Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mines expires this year and not one FAST load either....hard to justify the cost. But then again your supposed to have a FAST card to clear a line release load.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
We have our CDL. birth certificates, FAST cards, CCW

ummm..................that one that starts with C and ends with W is about the last thing you want to show anyone at Canada Customs. LOL

FAST cards are still useful even if you don't have a FAST load. Should you be sent inside it still gets you preferential treatment (meaning you skip over anyone else waiting to be processed) and if you return to the states empty you may then use the FAST lane.