EZ PASS??

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yes. Do it. Saved me a bunch when I was on the road. It's not like it's a risky investment. Stick it on your windshield and when you hit areas it's accepted, start saving.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeap, discounts as much as 50% in areas like chicago and no sitting in line.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Absolutely! It saves money [tolls are lower for Pass holders], time [lanes are faster, can download the whole week or month from online for reimbursement & records], and aggravation [try leaving a booth while trying to not lose the change & receipt, roll up the window, shift gears, figure out which lane you need, figure out which lane everyone around you is aiming for, all at the same time!]
Someone did some research a few years ago and said Illinois offers the best program/deal, but I don't imagine there's all that much difference. Except for some outliers [Florida, Oklahoma], EZ Pass is accepted just about everywhere we go, and it's wonderful to cross "keep money handy for unexpected tolls" off the list of things to keep up with.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
U want ipass rather than ez pass if drive a cargo van. Go to the travel oasis on I-294 in Chicago. W/ ipass my Ford e350 was classified as passenger car(cheaper) than ez pass who uses gvw. Tell ipass it's a passenger van. I have it set up @ $40 direct withdrawal. That means when u hit a minimum, it will automatically replenish. No fines for running out of money. Ipass works anywhere ez pass is accepted. Cheaper & great for dodging long lines @ toll booth.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Florida only accepts Sunpass. It's worth having even if you only occasionally take loads there. I have EZPass and it is definitely the way to go.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Got to watch getting a bunch of different passes. Harris county,tx toll pass ( Houston) has said that their pass may interfere w/ other passes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing to keep in mind is, under MAP-21, passed in 2012, all Electronic Toll Collection facilities in the United States must reach some form of interoperability by October 1, 2016. That means EZ Pass will be able to be used in Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, California, etc.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing to keep in mind is, under MAP-21, passed in 2012, all Electronic Toll Collection facilities in the United States must reach some form of interoperability by October 1, 2016. That means EZ Pass will be able to be used in Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, California, etc.
Great news! Thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, that's why I figured I'd bring it up, in case someone was considering getting another transponder or two.

It's beginning to happen. The North Carolina tolls roads now accept E-ZPass, as the NC Quick Pass is now compatible with E-ZPass, SunPass and Peach Pass facilities. The ending of this article lists the roadblocks to full interoperability.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Ur welcome. that's what this is here for. Like I tell everyone, don't talk to one driver, ask many. If they all basically say the same thing, consider it gospel.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
That is great news to me that all states will have to take all passes.I've often wondered why they never did in the first place.It's not like your going through another country or something!!I have I-Pass & wasn't very happy in OK & TX when it wouldn't work & then in TX @ a couple of toll booths they have them @ the bottom of a hill it takes a while in my ST to get up to speed again.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Glad to hear that about EZ Pass etc...was considering getting TX one and OK one, due to my recent runs, but I can wait now.