External Heating/ AC Units on Condo Cabs

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
I'd love to have a genny and an external unit for the truck both for fuel savings and to deal with no idle states. I drive a converted condo sleeper Freightliner Century. I've discussed it with my owner and he says you can't put a roof-mounted heat/ac unit on a condo. But, I've seen a couple of them on the road.

Who does these, (for condos) and about how much-ish do they run? My owner is really hesitant to put an APU with the heat/cool systems on due to price. I'm hoping mounting the external ac and a generator that just makes power would be cheap enough to make it reasonable enough for him to get them put on.

Thanks!
Christopher

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If the owner doesn't want to put the apu on the truck, I would tell him find another driver - cheap owner.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
You can get a 10,000 BTU portable AC that will probably fit in one of you cabinets for about $400. All you have to do is vent the hot air outside through a window or other hole to the outside.
Size is roughly 28" tall, 13" wide and 22" deep.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Please keep suggestions to equipment, not playing musical owners.

contact Used RVs, Motorhomes, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes look in the parts section for roof top A/C's
These people are very knowledgable and helpfull

Installing certain units on a sloped roof can be a problem. I bought a unit from them for a flat roof truck as they had best price, ran it off a Honda 3000 w generator total cost under 3 k worked great for 2 plus years, then truck wore out.

I'll look into them. Thanks!

I hadn't thought of a cabinet mounted wall unit. Shouldn't cost much to have a shop make a proper vent hole (I'm not gonna try it...lol besides they can make it look like it belongs). Wouldn't help much with the heating issue in winter, but with the nearing end of cold weather (tho Detroit reminded me just cause it's done at home, don't mean it's done everywhere!), the AC is going to be the big concern. I was even considering building cabinets to replace Frieghtliner's poorly conceived pieces of crap when I get home again. Have to run that past my owner.

Think to solve the heat problem I'd just install radiant heat flooring...lol. At $8/ a square foot, it's cost nearly nothing in a truck...lol

Thanks!
Christopher

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I used a "stand up" roll around single room AC unit like that but it was a 12,000 btu unit...the exhaust hose was a 5 in diameter outlet...it woked great until the fan inside it exploded.....I will be doing a small window unit that I can "hang" on the ft passenger window like OVM does....