Express-1 versus Panther II

G

Does anyone know what the experience requirements are with Express-1?

Thx,

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Arky, you'll need a CDL Class B license minimum, you don't need your HazMat end. though, as Express-1 hauls No HazMat Loads. Having freight work experience helps, as well as a couple hundred thousand miles under your belt too no doubt. I don't think the mileage thing matters though so much...as long as you have some freight hauling experience. I don't know the age requirement, like most companies though, it's probably 23-25. You will be more or less expected to stay out a bare minimum of 2-3 weeks as well of course too. Shoot though, with me, I don't mind staying out at that long, ha, I don't even start to get settled in 'til the 3rd or 4th week out generally.

G

I have no experience at all. Panther doesn't require experience. Other than that, I might rather run for Express-1, but if they require exp. I've found that my choices are really limited without experience.

Thx,

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
whatever your setup is, make sure you don't exceed 40 ft. in length. For what it is worth, our truck has a 125" sleeper and a 18 ft box. As fuel is going up our fuel surcharges are climbing. Depending on the customer they have been averaging .09 to .11 cents per mile. But the are a few customers that only pay .04. Not too often but it happens.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Mcbride, that is interesting to note...what kind of truck
>are you running though-is it a cab-over? or ? "The maximum
>sleeper size with a 22' van is 96 inches" is a quote taken
>from the Alumi-bunk.com web site>
>http://www.alumibunk.com/customset.html,....

We have an FL106, Detriot 50 series 320 horse, Allison heavy duty six speed full automatic with a 110" sleeper. Truck was built by crewchief/alumibunk in Dundalk, Ontario. We have a 22' box with flush mounted barn doors which enables us to be the entire 22'. We are 40' 6" long. We would have purchased a Century Class or a Colubia but at the time Alumibunk did not have the fiberglass raised roof that would have fit on these. (our sleeper is square) We have had absolutely no problems with our sleeper. BTW, we have been measured more than once and have never been sited for being over length. I belive the 96" sleepers that you are speaking of are the standard that alumibunk uses but they will make anything you want.

-mcbride

tas6292

Expert Expediter
tas6292
Hi big bus bob,I'm new to this to but have been over the road for about 20yrs,sold my big truck,bought a van,I've talked to a lot of drivers and I think the companys that have the most turcks sitting in truck stop parking lots are the ones to stay away from.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>I think the companys that
>have the most turcks sitting in truck stop parking lots are
>the ones to stay away from.

Tas, one needs to be careful with this theory. At any given time, at any given truck stop, there could be a group of trucks from the same company sitting, this doesn't necessarily mean that business is slow for that particular company. One example would be if you're through West Memphis, AR and see a lot of Fed Ex CC trucks, they would be there because Fed Ex has many loads going out of that area. You're not going to see those same trucks sit there for too long. Any other number of scenarios could come into play if we just think about it so be careful how you choose. DD

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I think I miss my mind the most!!

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have to agree, just because there's a number of Panther II or Fed Ex CC trucks in one or two truck stops does not mean that those are not good companies. Esp. now with the 10 hours off-duty rule, those trucks sitting are more than likely solo drivers that have no choice but to sit. I've noticed when I see multiple trucks of the same company sitting, esp. expediter vans-that they're typically solo drivers.

By the way, Panther II is still going after me...Express-1 has all but stopped talking to me for some reason. Panther though is still tossing O/O my way, & also-my ad under drivers available on EO (this site) has also given me now 2 calls since I posted it...that makes this an even better site-not that it wasn't good before-I've loved it since I found it!

I'm wondering now though if I should just wait until the end of the month & go to the Kentucky Truck Show March 25-27 & talk with the outfits that are gonna be there.

I don't think though-that trucking outfits-large or small should be judged by how many trucks are parked in a truck stop-if they're not parking there, they're parking somewhere-eventually.