Express-1 versus Panther II

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hello, Now I know there's got to be drivers that browse thru these newbie boards...so, here goes.

Got 2 deals working, both have said the same-I drive truck:
6-wheeler/straight truck

I pay for fuel-the truck owner takes care of fuel surcharges.

I get 60 percent of what truck makes-which sounds typical as best I can see in expediters who drive for a small fleet owner leased on to a large company.

I see alot of Panther II trucks, vans & straight trucks, & they always look sharp-that attracts me.

Express-1 I don't see too much of though.

However, you tell me now-Who is better? that is to say, what are/could be the pro's & con's from co. to co.??? Anybody with experience with any of these co.'s? or both? you thoughts/input please?

I've been OTR in trucks & busses-though mostly busses-for 5 years now-with nearly 400,000 miles under my belt, commercially logged that is. I have no accidents or tickets on that either.
Thanks for the help, Later, Bob.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I never worked for either of the 2 companies you ask about, but know drivers that have worked for both. I would have to say hands down Express-1 is by far the better company to work for.

This is just my opinion, based on things I hear, see, and read.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I too have not run for ethier of these co.I will say this,one thing I have allways felt is important is the co ability to keep me loaded after leaving the area where they have there core business.Of the two co in question,prob Panther has more nationwide business to keep you moving.The last thing you want is to have a nice load taking you 500 or 700 mi away only to find you will have to deadhead most of the way back.I would include FED-EX Custom Critical as another co with good nationwide coverage.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Interesting responses so far. I'm interested to hear what you've heard about Express-1 and why I should go on with them? What have you heard about Panther II? I've got a good deal goin' right now with Panther and think I might be able to be on with them by the end of Febuary no doubt. Talk to me people, by the way-I love this site!!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What good is a deal if you can’t get the work? Ask what is done for you if and when a dispatcher calls you and tells you to go a shipper to pick up a load, only to find another driver there or arriving at the same time for the same load. You drove 30, 40, or 50 miles to get this load, and the dispatcher gives it to the other driver only to tell you he is sorry, and will find you another load. Now you sit for another day or 2, and the very same thing happens again.

Before you sign on the dotted line, ask what that companies policies are and will you get compensated for their error? AND I don’t mean $5 or $10 bucks!!! I have a driver working for me right now that this very thing did in fact happen too, with a company he was leased onto a few years ago. I will not put the companies name on this post, out of respect to EO. I do have proof that it did happen! I put it out there so you newbie’s are aware of things that in fact do happen. I could see something like this happening once as a mistake, BUT to have a dispatcher give you a trip only to take it from you and give it to a buddy once or twice a month is pure BS!!! SEE!!! The guy I have driving for me now is a very nice quite person and wouldn’t say anything to the right people at that company, so it continued to happen to him. DON’T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!! If you see this going on or if it happens to you , don’t wait for it to happen a second time, call the front office of the company you work for and raise holy-hell, right now!!! If that don’t get you any results WELL! Then you have to decide your next move. I don’t know about you but I know what I would do!!!

This is just one of many tricks that could happen. Be very careful my friends!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t let others take advantage of you. There are some that take kindness for weakness!

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
I was leased to Panther for 16 months when they first opened.they were great to work with the first 12 months,if I had a choice between
panther and express1 now, I would have to go with express1.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, it's sounding like Panther is sounding like the Schnieder/JB Hunt and/or Swift of expediting...I mean that in a nice way-if thats possible, LOL. Panther (along with Express-1) sounds like a good co. to start with & get experience then move on, am I right?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We are with Panther currently. Unless something has changed, they pay the most with the greatest coverage. There are exceptions, such as fedex pays more with there whiteglove ect, but requires additional equiptment. (liftgate, reefer, tag axle). I am not sure what panther pays now, but it was at 1.35 a mile. I think TT are 1.45 for loaded miles. Some of their milage is based on when you signed on. Some run at a 1.30 ect. I think it depends on your truck size as well.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, you wrote: "We are with Panther currently.", then wrote: "I am not sure what panther pays now, but it was at 1.35 a mile.", so I'm confused. You also wrote: "Some of their milage is based on when you signed on. Some run at a 1.30 ect. I think it depends on your truck size as well.", Explain more if you/somebody could?? Please?

I want to run 1st for a small fleet owner who's leased to a large expedite company.
I've talked with many O/O already thru Express-1 and more or less have been told by a couple O/O's to go to orientation & you got the truck.
I'd be runnin' straight truck-"most likely with" a 22 foot box & 72" sleeper. Landstar told me he had a guy up in Ontario that ran a truck in the states & needed a driver for it, said he wasn't sure, but thought the fella may be runnin' a 96" sleeper on it, how big-I mean Maximum-would the cargo box/could the cargo box be then with a 96" sleeper???
Funny deal really, on a lighter note (and it's kinda a cool feeling in a sense)is that I'm feeling like a "free agent" so to speak. Panther "Corporate" is going after me-though I've yet to speak with an O/O over there.
Express-1 is persueing me aggressively though. Landstar has just started going after me as well. I've got some good contacts that are NOT recruiters in the co.'s that have been able to give me a host of names and numbers as well as hand my name/contact info. to them as well.
Basically I'd like to be in a truck by the end of Febuary-and/or within the 1st week of March.
ok, now, most are offering me the usual 60/40 split, however-one is saying they (the truck owner) pays for the fuel/tolls/permits, etc. & I get 33 to 35% of what the truck makes...what do you all think on that deal?
another owner said 50 cpm to me & they pay for fuel-I use a fuel card-& they take care of tolls, etc. plus I'd get a $200 expense allowance until thats used up, once it's used up they give me another $200.
Ok, talk to me people! :D

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You said!!!
ok, now, most are offering me the usual 60/40 split, however-one is saying they (the truck owner) pays for the fuel/tolls/permits, etc. & I get 33 to 35% of what the truck makes...what do you all think on that deal? This isn't a very good deal. When an owner pays all in most cases the driver would get 40%. If you shop around you can find o/o's that will pay the 40%

Then you said!!!
another owner said 50cpm to me & they pay for fuel-I use a fuel card-& they take care of tolls, etc. plus I'd get a $200 expense allowance until that’s used up, once it's used up they give me another $200.
Ok, talk to me people! This is a fantastic deal!!! I'd take that one myself, right now!!! Do you realize that some loads pay on a discount rate and you will get the 50cents no matter what the freight pays the truck. Actually that is about 40% but you would never have to worry about the cheaper rate freight. I know drivers of T/T's that don't make 50cents a mile. This deal would be the cats Assssssssssssssss if you could get him to hire you as an employee, and give you hospital/medical insurance. GOOD LUCK BBB!!!

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ok, Yes, I knew that the 33 to 35% deal wasn't any good, even if they get me at 37% I still would not take it. I'd rather take that 50cpm deal where the owner pays the fuel & I get a $200 expense allowance. I don't think I'll be able to get it, as they're lookin' for a driver right away and I won't be able to go on with them until the end of the month at the earliest. I'll probably end up hooking up with an owner that gives me 60% of what the truck makes...still though, even though probably 20% of my take will go to fuel on a deal like that, I'll still make out at about 40% for myself after fuel costs. We'll see though. Thank you.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Make sure you seal the deal with an addendum to the contract or see if the contract has been updated. The addendum must read that you will also receive 100% of all fuel surcharges paid directly to you. You may want to ask how this will be paid. I would see about getting this money paid directly from the company if at all possible. The owner shouldn't be (or by FCC LAW isn't) allowed to keep any fuel surcharge paid to by the company he is leased too, as long as he isn’t paying for the fuel.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Teacel, so what you're saying is take the 60/40 split-taking the 60 % for myself & paying for my own fuel. Now if I'm reading those threads right...they're saying that by paying for my own fuel then I'll be more careful when it comes to using it-which makes logical sense.
I used to drive busses & idle & idle. I still drive busses on a PT basis. Bus Co.'s usually don't mind you idling the bus for hours on end-& by hours I mean it's not unusual for a bus to idle for 6-8 hours plus. On occassion we'd idle for 10 to 12 hours. I don't think I'd do that in a truck though.
When I used to drive box truck & needed sleep (in a daycab)I'd pull into a shopping center or rest area & pull my pillow out & sleep-with the engine off usually. Now with the bus I'd idle, very rarely killing the engine to sleep. I've gotten used to sleeping in a bus/truck with the engines idling, however-if I was paying the fuel-I think I'd kill the engine if I could.
Interesting in that thread/link above-the fella had said the drivers paying for their own fuel made more money than the one who wasn't paying for his fuel.
Now if an owner says I pay for fuel but he takes care of the fuel sur-charges, whats that mean???

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Quote from Tony:

"Make sure you seal the deal with an addendum to the contract or see if the contract has been updated. The addendum must read that you will also receive 100% of all fuel surcharges paid directly to you. You may want to ask how this will be paid. I would see about getting this money paid directly from the company if at all possible. The owner shouldn't be (or by FCC LAW isn't) allowed to keep any fuel surcharge paid to by the company he is leased too, as long as he isn’t paying for the fuel."

Tony is saying if you're paying for the fuel, all of the fuel surcharges paid by the carrier should go directly to you. DD

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I think I miss my mind the most!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When you state the owner said "he takes care of the fuel surcharge, does that mean 1. He will get it from the carrier and past it on to you? OR 2. Does that mean he will keep it???

You have to ask the owner what he means. By US law he the owner isn't allowed to keep the fuel surcharge monies if you are the one paying the fuel bills.

He the owner may be the one billing the carrier because you may not know how to rate the surcharge. Here are some links on surcharge that may help you understand what surcharge is all about and how it is billed. Nun the less the person paying for the fuel is the one that retains the fuel surcharge payment. DO NOT let anyone tell you any different. Here is a quote from THE MOTOR CARRIER FUEL COST EQUITY ACT OF 2001:[/b]
If a third party (motor carrier or owner-operator) provides the trucking service and pays for the necessary fuel, the fuel surcharge would be passed on to that party. That means if you as an IC are paying for the fuel the fuel surcharge is to be past onto you.

Check out these sites on fuel surcharge: http://www.ooida.com/at_issue/fuel_surcharge/fuel_surcharge0000128.html
http://www.tbabz.com/AssessingFuelSurcharge.htm
http://www.ooida.com/at_issue/fuel_surcharge/legislators_back_bill.html

Here is a link to Fed-X site and what they are charging their customers on LTL, and TL freight. http://www.fedexfreight.fedex.com/surcharge.jsp?link=4

Well you all get the picture. This info and research was done by myself, and not EO. It is my own opinion that each and every driver working for an owner or a carrier direct gets his fair share. The links I posted are copied from the Internet. If any one wants to find this same info and more you can do a search and it can be found. Keyword: Fuel surcharge. GOOD LUCK!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I should clarify.
Straight trucks make between 1.35 and 1.20 plus fuel surcharge depending on when you signed on.
Note; truck must be able to haul 9000lbs

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
BBB,

>but thought the fella may be runnin' a 96" sleeper on it, how big-I mean Maximum-would the cargo box/could the cargo box be then with a 96" sleeper???<

You'd be suprised! We have 110" sleeper with a 22' foot box....

mcbride-

:7

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mcbride, that is interesting to note...what kind of truck are you running though-is it a cab-over? or ? "The maximum sleeper size with a 22' van is 96 inches" is a quote taken from the Alumi-bunk.com web site> http://www.alumibunk.com/customset.html, I think that a 96" sleeper for just myself would suffice for 4-6 weeks out at a time plus. I could see having even a 72" sleeper. There was a guy who was pushing me to go on with his small fleet, however once I found out the truck he was looking to get filled had a 42" sleeper I said no way. I don't plan on being out any less than 3-4 weeks. The topics of fuel sur-charges are interesting, thank you fellow drivers for that info. EO has really helped me find out info. on the expediting industry. Is March a better time to get into expediting or April? when is a good month to get into it? And do you run busy thru Nov./Dec. or does it generally slow up some?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The last I heard there is no overall length restrictions for straight trucks by the DOT.There are length restrictions by individual states such as NC.I beleive the max there is 35 ft. This is prob why Alumibunk won't go over 96" for the sleeper.