Express 1 Buyout

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine talked to people at Express-1 yesterday. They denied the report that management is being swept out. They were aware of the report but said it was not true.

The most interesting thing I read in the news in various publications was, "The international freight forwarding market is estimated to be worth $150 billion, with the 10 largest firms combined having only a 40 percent market share."

In that context, Express-1 is a small part of the big company Jacobs intends to create. He is thinking about dozens if not hundreds of acquisitions to bring his dream into reality. He has done it before in other industries. It will be interesting to see what comes to be in the years ahead.

The future of expediting ain't what it used to be.

It is true, Jacobs has or will buy out the controlling share's of Express-1. Been on both sides of this coin. Corp. raider, build the company, cut the upper management, put his own team in there. Build on what is there, buy other carriers out, build on the expedite business, no spin off, he is looking at the expedite side, and that is brokerage and freight forward. Look out Nations, Bolt, and others. Here he comes....

It's not about market shares as a whole, just what part he can get before he bails. Trust me.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is why you didn't get your "dime" back. Rates never really dropped, just what they paid the owner operators. Have to look good on paper if you are trying to sell it. I guess you can take comfort in the fact you help facilitate a sale.

I know a guy who knows a guy....lol

One of our customers stated that he could not afford Exprees-1 due to the high FSC... Rate was high for cargo van, FSC was over the top at .40 per mile, at the time we were getting .19. Yep- all about the revenue on paper, reports, and operations review.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Their rates to the customer are fairly competitve. I think they will work the logistic side pretty hard. If they try to grow the expedite side, they will have to do something with the bargain rates to the contractors, or bid high and broker them out.
If not, they will remain stagnant and have to raise revenue from their other divisions.
Other carriers pay higher so they will have to come up with something to attract a limited pool of searching contractors.
Just my penny in the pond.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
If the push is on the non asset side and brokerage, then that would lead you to look at the other operating groups of E1. CGL is the non asset based freight forwarder and Bounce Logistics as the non asset based truckload brokerage. The "traditional" E1 may not be the core segment of the growth plan the way I interpret the press releases?

No matter what, change is always consistent!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If the push is on the non asset side and brokerage, then that would lead you to look at the other operating groups of E1. CGL is the non asset based freight forwarder and Bounce Logistics as the non asset based truckload brokerage. The "traditional" E1 may not be the core segment of the growth plan the way I interpret the press releases?

No matter what, change is always consistent!

My thoughts exactly.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
BANGALORE, June 14 (Reuters) - Entrepreneur and investor Bradley Jacobs and his private equity firm are to invest $150 million in Express-1 Expedited Solutions Inc (XPO.A), a third-party logistics provider, and aim to build "a multibillion-dollar" business over the next several years.

Jacobs, who will be the majority shareholder of Express-1, which has a market value of $72 million, said he plans to increase the business through acquisitions, adding he is looking at small and big companies in freight brokerage and freight forwarding.

"We're going to start off buying some small and medium-size companies but over time the plan is certainly buy some larger companies as well," he told Reuters in an interview.

"I've been meeting with roughly 100 acquisition candidates over the last two months and they are of all sizes, I've looked at companies as little as $10 million to $20 million in revenue, and I've looked at companies approaching $1 billion in revenue."

Jacobs has a solid track record in founding small companies and building them, through acquisitions, into market leaders.

In 1997, he started United Rentals (URI.N) and, some 250 acquisitions later, turned it into the world's largest equipment rental firm. Private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management offered $6.6 billion for the company in 2007, but this bid was later withdrawn.

United Rentals is currently valued at $1.37 billion.

Jacobs also founded United Waste Systems, a leading U.S. garbage collector, which he sold to a rival for about $2.5 billion in 1997.

Jacobs, hunting for targets to go build another large company this time around, looked at several industries including government services, healthcare and education before settling on transportation, attracted by consolidation opportunities in the highly fragmented sector.

To tackle the global logistics market, Jacobs will take over as CEO of Express-1 and sweep out current management. Only the chairman, Jim Martell, will remain on the board, Jacobs said.

The international freight forwarding market is estimated to be worth $150 billion, with the 10 largest firms combined having only a 40 percent market share.

"I want this to be a multibillion-dollar company within several years," Jacobs told Reuters. "The industry is big, and I'm planning on creating a very big company."

Jacobs said he may also switch Express-1's stock listing to Nasdaq from the Amex exchange.

Express-1 shares jumped more than 11 percent on Tuesday to a 4-month high of $2.44.

Senior management roles will change, Jacobs said, with current CEO Mike Welch staying on to help with the acquisition strategy.

The new investors will receive preferred stock, convertible into 43 million Express-1 shares at $1.75 each, and warrants to purchase an additional 43 million shares. The company will effect a 4:1 reverse stock split once the deal closes.

Jacobs Private Equity will own 71 percent of Express-1 once the deal closes and the preferred stock is converted and warrants exercised.

Deutsche Bank Securities and UBS Investment Bank advised Jacobs. BB&T Capital Markets were financial advisers to Express-1. (Reporting by A. Ananthalakshmi in Bangalore, additional reporting by Soyoung Kim in New York, Editing by Ian Geoghegan and Matthew Lewis)
So does this mean that Load1 may be on this guy's radar?? If he's looking at buying out the smaller companies. Also, wouldn't this be considered a monopoly?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Is not Bounce and CGL cheap freight? I remember back in the day visiting their office and they where busy working with Scheinder and them moving freight dirt cheap. In volume I guess it's ok, but my tractors need more than $.85cents a mile to operate. Who would wanna buy that market share?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So does this mean that Load1 may be on this guy's radar?? If he's looking at buying out the smaller companies. Also, wouldn't this be considered a monopoly?

It will not come anywhere close to a monopoly, it isnt like they are going to end up owning 90% of the logistics companies out there.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yeah that's true you still have Panther out there, but $150 mil is a lot of money!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther is not all that big on the market. You have companies like Ceva and Expeditors and many others who I would guess are much larger. Others on here have a better knowledge than I do but while Panther is decent sized in the overall picture I would guess they are but a blimp on the radar screen.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is not Bounce and CGL cheap freight? I remember back in the day visiting their office and they where busy working with Scheinder and them moving freight dirt cheap. In volume I guess it's ok, but my tractors need more than $.85cents a mile to operate. Who would wanna buy that market share?
someone maybe charging customers a 1.25 to move it and paying .85 to operators?

This guy had never done transportation and may get a rude awaking just how vicious and competitive this industry is....nothing says he'll be a success....Look at the last two big companies he built....there was a need, a void...and no real competition....and John..ya gotta admit for all you thought you knew..what happened in the CV market for you? woke ya up didn't it?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther is not all that big on the market. You have companies like Ceva and Expeditors and many others who I would guess are much larger. Others on here have a better knowledge than I do but while Panther is decent sized in the overall picture I would guess they are but a blimp on the radar screen.

In the overall freight market Panther does not even make a ripple, some carriers have as many parked trucks as they have active LOL...now the expedite sector that is different

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Goodness, I was worried there for a minute, glad u all got that settled. wish we could here the opinion of all the rest of us from LA to Norfolk.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
someone maybe charging customers a 1.25 to move it and paying .85 to operators?

This guy had never done transportation and may get a rude awaking just how vicious and competitive this industry is....nothing says he'll be a success....Look at the last two big companies he built....there was a need, a void...and no real competition....and John..ya gotta admit for all you thought you knew..what happened in the CV market for you? woke ya up didn't it?

Guys like this one hire people who know their job and let them do it. I would guess he has done his homework and has a very good idea of what he is getting into.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guys like this one hire people who know their job and let them do it. I would guess he has done his homework and has a very good idea of what he is getting into.

You would think so....the beancounters on the job..:rolleyes:

But again I'll refer to Mr Clark here who thought he'd clean up in the CV market, looked good on paper...but...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trash hauling is also a very competitive and heavily regulated industry. In some states it is literally (littery) a cut throat business with ties to organized crime.