Expeditor business + second business?

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Would having a second business alongside the courier be looked upon as a negative with most carriers?

This would be a small business run out of my home using internet and phone. What I was thinking if I am in Knoxville and have a few hrs of waiting I could visit a few customers and pass out catalogs and samples. Just in my extra time. I would hope to be busy and not have any dead time, but this of course is normal as an expeditor.

This would keep me from sitting and earn me extra income.

Monty

Expert Expediter
It should be of no concern to your carrier what you do when not busy with them. Unless, of course, you are using time you should be resting. Get ya a nap, go see others, no biggie.

And why even mention it to them, you tell them everytime ya go to Wal-Mart?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Actually your a contractor not an employee so what you do is non of their business unless it interferes with a delivery.
I have run another business for several years along with expediting. ;)

I might ad, it's good to have something to do while waiting for that call.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I run 2 other businesses from the drivers seat of my van....as was said, you are a contractor...when empty, your time is your own...

Go for it....just be available when the carrier calls...

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I think many will agree to have a second source of income in this field is prudent and yes, it can be done.

My boyfriend has kept his landscape design/installation business going that he had started well before he went into expediting. As an O/O with his own authority in expediting and the second occupation, he could have a more relaxed approach to hauling freight. He never felt obligated to accept a load to Laredo or Ft. Myers in July for expediting wasn't his sole income. It filled the gap between November through March. He would go out in the summer if he felt the urge and there were no landscapes on the table for 2 weeks.

After more than 7 years of double business management, he has decided something has to give. The landscape work did slow some, but was always there...and now it is picking back up, it pays way better, no night work, and no Laredo or carrier quandries.

If you decide to have a secondary, you will find it is easier to manage than it appears on the surface. Many times I have been playing "Zombie Killer" on my Droid in a TA parking lot in Tennessee while he is on his phone scheduling paver stone walkway, retaining wall and pear tree installations for homeowners in southeast Michigan.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

lhannah

Active Expediter
There are a couple small things that might be an issue. If your second business is in the transportation industry it could be tricky.
Also, if you have company signs on the van and use it to cold call that may be looked down upon.

Like most have said, it is your free time and carriers really can't tell you what to do with it. If you can keep the two from conflicting then it should never be a problem.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
There are a couple small things that might be an issue. If your second business is in the transportation industry it could be tricky.
Also, if you have company signs on the van and use it to cold call that may be looked down upon.

Like most have said, it is your free time and carriers really can't tell you what to do with it. If you can keep the two from conflicting then it should never be a problem.

To each their own of course, but those we know who have sidelines do not put those eggs in a transportation basket. That avoids conflicts and allows more diversity of income. We know a carpet cleaner, home remodeler, flooring installer. Not related to transportation at all. They also own their own vehicles and signage is magnetic. When OOS for a carrier, no signs are flying.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
The business would not interfere with my Expeditor duties. Just kind of a way to pick up new clients while traveling. I would basically be passing out catalogs and a few samples and hoping to get some order at home. It would definitely help kill the downtime!

Thanks to all the great information!

wwb6698

Expert Expediter
If you are running a second business why not post the web site if it has one so other people on the forum can check it out...