Expediting Industry Question

greyweulf

Active Expediter
Hello,

I have been on and off trucking for over 20 plus years with a CDL Class A with TX endorsement. I have pulled Doubles/Triples, Hazmat, Car Hauling etc., with a clean record. I am also an Engineer by training, but OTR seems to be my calling as I always come back.

I have been going thru this forum to learn about expediting and seems like a lot of CDL holders are driving Sprinter/Vans rather than a large truck.

At the end of the day, if you are away from home, I want to make the most money possible doing something I love. Driving a Van vs. a Truck isn't that much different for me. In fact, I feel safer with 18 wheels of traction.

So is there something I don't know? Are Vans more profitable than trucks? I understand under 10,000 there are fewer barriers for entry. But why would someone with a CDL opt to drive a Van, if the money is not comparable or better?

I hope to hear your comments.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The money is not comparable, IMO. [I've driven 18 wheels, and a cargo van, and a 6 wheel straight truck, where I am now].
But neither are the 'hassles' [for lack of a better word: DOT regs, inspections, weigh stations, parking issues, logging - a lot of freedom in a van.
And you can get through the drive thru, lol.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I drove Team Tractor Trailer for 6 years for Knight, Central, Western Freightways (LTL), YRC, Interstate and straights with Fedex and tractor trailer with Panther. We have all endorsements like yourself.

1. Van drivers will tell you they are under the weight limit for CDL rules, that is, no logs, hopefully no scales. I am sure they will add to this, I have not driven a cargo van commercially other than my own for my own use.

2. Straights are usually expanded sleepers with cooking ability and a generator/APU. Why? Because you will be out for months in order to make a living. They are very comfortable. Expediting means "waiting for the beep." No one is really out there trying to find YOUR truck freight like in the big trucking world. In the big trucking world, such as one of the carriers I mentioned above, they have salesmen who pursue and bid and underbid freight placed on load boards that have a couple of days planning and negotiating. Expedite means "emergency." Some one forgot to order something, a machine part failed, a buyer needs a piece of art ASAP, etc. If there is no emergency in the town you are sitting in, you gamble with yourself and the truck's owner in some cases, that there will be some emergency in the next 24 hours. These types of emergency freight are virtually non-existent in many geographic areas of the country. You may have to "deadhead" on either your money or your owner's money to a more desirable area hoping "for the beep." Meanwhile have some polish handy, books to read, etc. The most we have waited for a load is three to four DAYS. Tell me when in the real world of trucking you ever sit that long. Your company will find something to move you, even it is just a load of hay or cotton.

A van can hold maybe 3-4 pallets, a straight 6-8. The owner provides their driver a "nice" straight truck hoping the driver will "chase freight" for a couple of months before they need to go home. Some owners do not lay eyes on their trucks for months, if at all, relying on the driver to tell them maintenance issues, etc. They then will play dollars and cents deciding what is the most important repair to make at the time you call in. Is it the turbo? The A/C? The reefer unit? Hardly ever is everything 100%. Most owners will not have a "spare truck" for you to drive in the event of a breakdown, and since the straight or van is your "apartment" now you are homeless until the situation is resolved.

In most cases in the expedite world the owner does not get paid by the carrier for two to three weeks, therefore neither do you. And in expedite you have no withholding, no insurance, no benefits, no paid days off, etc. You usually pay an insurance charge per week about $80 for the privilege of being in someone else's vehicle.

In a team truck everything is usually split 50/50 between the two drivers. So momma gets 1/4. you get 1/4 his wife gets 1/4 he gets 1/4. And all the expenses out there are your own. Some owners provide prepass and toll transponders, but some do not. You need at least $100 in your pocket at all times for tolls. Then you turn in receipts and get reimbursed 2-3 weeks later.

3. Tractor Trailer expedite. You can haul anything. It will all fit on the trailer. You know how to drive one, you are not intimidated by backing in, putting on chains, dropping the trailer, sliding the tandems, etc. Negatives: hard to park anywhere while "waiting for the beep" and not so many creature comforts such as a large fridge, comfy double bed, stretch out room, etc. Usually pays more per mile.

Now, with all that said, and I am sure others will chime in with great intentions, there are some things to consider in making a change to expedite. There are many expedite carriers out there doing it, looking for the same freight in the same areas at the same time. Laredo is a good example. Dallas another. One expedite company has a great market in the NorthEast, its closest competitor does not and you sit. Very few expedite companies venture into the Far West - no expedite freight leaves unless its a good day in LA. We went five months without seeing our house on the Oregon Coast at one point in a straight because there is little expedite freight out this way and even less to get out and back East of the Mississippi.

One of the biggest challenges is the winter driving. Few straights have chain up capabilities, and you can see the traction concerns when it was so much better to have all that weight and both tractor and trailer brakes to count on, not including the jake brake (which some straights do not have). While it is rare, it is also possible to receive an overweight ticket in a straight as well. Most expediters will have to park in a storm. The freight is too valuable to lose. When you sit, you lose.

We enjoyed the expediting world, saw a lot of great places in this country and Canada. We always made a point of seeing every thing we could while laying over in an area. Flea markets, Indian Pow Wows, national wonders, giant malls, quiet waterfalls. Some things you can't do in a tractor trailer, but if you can bobtail it is still a possibility. There are many times we rented a car and visited Maritime Museums, Art Museums, Classic Car Shows, etc. We would make a sacrifice between a car or cab or a motel room some times, and sleep in our truck after our excursions.

With expediting you are usually not dealing with One Driver Manager or One Dispatcher or One Safety Person. There are multiple personalities and multiple turds. There is usually no one to complain to if you feel you have been wronged. You are on your own. A lot of folks here on EO love it that way.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, every expediter I have met, worked with or drove for, is a true survivor. McGyvers of the highway. We are basically still the Kings of the Road, will wave at each other, have coffee and a conversation, share our trucks and experiences. The tractor trailer comeraderie of the Smoky and The Bandit days is long gone. Expediters still have it in them.

We retired in July for several reasons, but primarily the issue for me is dealing with the CHP in Califoney, the on again off again CSA bullcr....., the demands for drivers to give more than we get, the lies we are told get bigger and bigger, the lack of money to keep the fleets properly maintained so that we, the drivers, get the points, or the time wasted, the lawyer fees to fight the ticket for parking where we shouldn't for longer than we should have etc.

I would not have traded the nine years I drove with my husband for any money in the world. It was a great experience and everything we did was done 50/50. The good, the very good, the bad, the very bad and the extremely ugly.

Kat

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
the picture you paint is quite bleak. there are alot of misguided statements. the expediting you describe is not the way it is for everyone. other than waiting for freight, which we do do. the rest is nothing like our expedite operation. with the biggest being that we dont stay out months at a time and we make a very good living from it. it all about making your business profitable. you can choose to run the wheels off to make a living or you can do it the rite way.

this is a very interesting answer though and i would be curious to here more of your experiences and why you feel this way.

not trying to step on your toes, just dont think your description applies to all in expedite.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have to agree with both statements there are great days, and bleak ones, too. Money can be made but with all the new under the radar bordering on illegally run operations ( UShippers come to mind, followed closely by illegally run commercial companies), and the CSA, EPA rules and mandates, and the world political scene, and the uneasiness of the US economy, expediting is rapidly becoming a tighter business to get into. If there is any kind of hiccup out on the road, and your purse strings are already taut, it could very well be the end of your dream/business.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 8 years I was on the road, I came off for persoanl reasons, but I, too, enjoyed the years on the road. It is a decision you need to make on your own, plan, read, plan, and if there is any hesitation anywhere, it's probably not a good idea. You could go the way of driving for someone, but be sure you have a safety net to get you home if something goes horribly wrong.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We bought a cargo van on EBay just to have a way out from the job situation if need be after the first FedEx owner had us fly coast to coast to pick up their truck, which was mechanically unsound. Only to sit in their yard for three days waiting for the beep while they took off in their own straight truck. We spent a lot of money shipping our gear first, so that when we realized we were scre ...... we had no choice but to run the truck. Two weeks later we were sitting in TX at a cat dealer with a blown turbo wastegate , they had no money to fix it, the shop pulled the truck in and out of the bay with a forklift so we had somewhere to sleep. This same owner demanded their truck back giving us two days to return it from FL to NY. These people then did the same thing to another couple, documented here and they were in New Mexico and told to return the truck asap to NY. The carrier usually refuses to get involved in owner/driver disputes. The next owner allowed us to run the truck like it was ours, but we paid for fuel and all repairs, to be reimbursed in ten days. The man asked about expediting after experiencing over the road trucking. And there is a HUGE difference. We never owned our own truck, and as I wrote, I was hoping to give a view that others could add to, disagree with, or comment in. Its better to tell the truth than remember the lie you told.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
And Dynamite, you are with the prime, number one expedite company out there. Makes a huge huge difference. We might still be in it had we driven for someone like Chef or Wolfeman. We believe John's business model is the best out there. Not everyone can start their expedite career at Number One they have to be a grunt somewhere else and learn the ropes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'll echo Dynamite's comments, and also single out this misinformed statement:

No one is really out there trying to find YOUR truck freight like in the big trucking world.
Some carriers want a van or straight on every corner so that when a load pops up on the computer they can easily and quickly cover it. If no load pops up, they'll let you sit and rot, for-ever, until one does pops up. They have plenty of vehicles on other corners they are trying to cover loads with rather than to mess with you, as they don't need you unless you are near a load that needs to be covered. Other carriers, on the other hand, look for loads for specific vehicles. I know Bolt does this, and certainly Load 1. Lots of them do. They don't book loads and then try and get them covered, rather, they look at which trucks are empty and then book loads specifically for those trucks.

As to the OP, if you're looking to make as much money as possible, a Sprinter or cargo van is the way wrong way to go about it. The bigger your truck, the more load opportunities, the higher the revenue. The truck with the most load opportunities in expediting is a straight truck team, and the more bells and whistles (credentials) you have, the more you'll make as a straight truck team.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
As mentioned I can only relate experience with purple and cats lol. And to add we had TVAL, White Glove straights and Life Sciences/Elite with a 53 ft reefer liftgate.

This discussion is going to provide a lot of great info that comes from many with much more positives and negatives to add I hope.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
the picture you paint is quite bleak. there are alot of misguided statements. the expediting you describe is not the way it is for everyone. other than waiting for freight, which we do do. the rest is nothing like our expedite operation. with the biggest being that we dont stay out months at a time and we make a very good living from it. it all about making your business profitable. you can choose to run the wheels off to make a living or you can do it the rite way.

this is a very interesting answer though and i would be curious to here more of your experiences and why you feel this way.

not trying to step on your toes, just dont think your description applies to all in expedite.

I COULDN'T agree more. I'd even go as far as to say there is some information in Miss kats post that is not only misguided but some of it makes you wonder how she ever got by driving a truck on ANY road, much less any of the roads out west. SINCE WHEN can't a straight truck chain up? Whatever kind of truck did you drive? Would you explain to me and possibly the OP how any straights go over Donner, Loveland, Vail, or any of the other passes from OCT to May? Oh wait, is THAT why you didn't get home for months at a time? You didn't "think" you could chain a straight truck? Just an FYI for you, straight trucks go east to west and north to south 12 months of the year. Straights are NOT limited to east of the Mississippi during the fall, winter, and part of the spring. I've driven 7 different straight trucks over the years and ALL of them were ABLE to be chained. OH, and in case you hadn't noticed, CARS, PICKUP TRUCKS, AND VANS all have to chain up at times to go over different passes. I could go ON and ON with just that ONE paragraph there is so much "misinformation" there. Parked for weather because the freight is so "valuable" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL No jake ?!?!?!?! Better brakes?!?!!?!

Unless you are trying to SCARE the pants off the OP, and hope to keep them OUT of the expedite business they would be better off to keep reading here and PASS OVER the long winded "misinformation" by miss kat !!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I could go ON and ON with just that ONE paragraph there is so much "misinformation" there.
Then might I suggest you address the misinformation, without beating down the person who provided it. Is your goal to clear up and prevent misunderstandings, to provide information, to be helpful.... or is it to berate someone?

moose

Veteran Expediter
Button line, the OP is an experienced, for hire(?), SOLO trucker, asking if he can make SAME money in Expedite.
as mention by Turtle, the simple answer is no. sorry.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Then might I suggest you address the misinformation, without beating down the person who provided it. Is your goal to clear up and prevent misunderstandings, to provide information, to be helpful.... or is it to berate someone?

I did address some of it, there is just so much that I REALLLLY didn't feel like investing the time picking the WHOLE post apart and then get jumped on for being hyper critical by the clique. But because you asked here ya go.

I drove Team Tractor Trailer for 6 years for Knight, Central, Western Freightways (LTL), YRC, Interstate and straights with Fedex and tractor trailer with Panther. We have all endorsements like yourself.

1. Van drivers will tell you they are under the weight limit for CDL rules, that is, no logs, hopefully no scales. I am sure they will add to this, I have not driven a cargo van commercially other than my own for my own use.

2. Straights are usually expanded sleepers with cooking ability and a generator/APU.

Untrue, there are MORE OEM straights out on the road in expedite than there are custom sleepers. MANY have no APU on them and still depend on a good battery bank and idleing.

Why? Because you will be out for months in order to make a living.

The industry standard is 75% in service and that equates to 3 weeks on 1 week off. While most decide to stay out longer and "save up" there time off I would NOT say that the majority of us out here stay out for months at a time to make a living. If someone HAS to stay out for months on end they need to take a long hard look at their business and make adjustments.

They are very comfortable.
Some are some aren't. Even some of the "custom" sleepers (AlumiJunk) were nothing more than a big box with a small fridge and a small sink with little counter space and a small closet. [/QUOTE]

Expediting means "waiting for the beep."
Well I'll be, that part is true!

No one is really out there trying to find YOUR truck freight like in the big trucking world. In the big trucking world, such as one of the carriers I mentioned above, they have salesmen who pursue and bid and underbid freight placed on load boards that have a couple of days planning and negotiating.

As has been stated already there are expedite companies that DO look for freight for their trucks, ie. Load1, E1, C&M just to name a few. If you want a company to look for freight activly then you have to do your "due diligence" and find one that does that for you.

Expedite means "emergency." Some one forgot to order something, a machine part failed, a buyer needs a piece of art ASAP, etc. If there is no emergency in the town you are sitting in, you gamble with yourself and the truck's owner in some cases, that there will be some emergency in the next 24 hours.

It is only a gamble if you don't get to know your freight lanes for your carrier. If you decide to go out of the known freight lanes you need to plan accordingly and get paid accordingly so you can get back to where you need to be. That goes back to what I said before about looking at your business long and hard and making adjustments to how you opperate.

These types of emergency freight are virtually non-existent in many geographic areas of the country. You may have to "deadhead" on either your money or your owner's money to a more desirable area hoping "for the beep." Meanwhile have some polish handy, books to read, etc. The most we have waited for a load is three to four DAYS. Tell me when in the real world of trucking you ever sit that long. Your company will find something to move you, even it is just a load of hay or cotton.

A van can hold maybe 3-4 pallets, a straight 6-8.
Some vans only hold 2 skids, some straights only hold 4 skids while others can hold up to 12.
The owner provides their driver a "nice" straight truck hoping the driver will "chase freight" for a couple of months before they need to go home. Some owners do not lay eyes on their trucks for months, if at all, relying on the driver to tell them maintenance issues, etc. They then will play dollars and cents deciding what is the most important repair to make at the time you call in. Is it the turbo? The A/C? The reefer unit? Hardly ever is everything 100%.

There are good drivers and bad drivers just like there are good owners and bad owners. The key is to do your research, talk to current and past drivers to get a feel for a perspective owner. Good pretrips and preventative maint. goes a LONG WAY!

Most owners will not have a "spare truck" for you to drive in the event of a breakdown, and since the straight or van is your "apartment" now you are homeless until the situation is resolved.

Know up front what is in your contract BEFORE signing it! Some owners pay for hotel rooms some don't. Others will provide transportation to and from a broken down truck, while others will leave you on your own to make accomadations. A driver should NEVER be "homeless" providing they are properly prepared and properly funded.

In most cases in the expedite world the owner does not get paid by the carrier for two to three weeks, therefore neither do you. And in expedite you have no withholding, no insurance, no benefits, no paid days off, etc. You usually pay an insurance charge per week about $80 for the privilege of being in someone else's vehicle.

This goes back to being properly funded and researching your carrier of choice. There is withholding insurance and benefits if an INDEPENDANT CONTRACTOR sets THEIR business up for there to be those things. It sounds to me that you may have forgotten that there is a HUGE differance between an employee and an IC. If someone wants someone else to handle those things for them then they need to be an employee of someones instead of striking out on their own as an IC.

This "privilege" you speak of, it is not a privilege it IS a cost of doing buisness. It goes by many names, work accident, workmans comp or ocupational ins. Call it any of those but not a privilege, it covers you as a driver if you get hurt on a load and it also covers the carrier from getting sued by every fly by night unscrupulous driver looking to get an easy paycheck.

In a team truck everything is usually split 50/50 between the two drivers. So momma gets 1/4. you get 1/4 his wife gets 1/4 he gets 1/4. And all the expenses out there are your own. Some owners provide prepass and toll transponders, but some do not. You need at least $100 in your pocket at all times for tolls. Then you turn in receipts and get reimbursed 2-3 weeks later.

There are a number of assumtions in this part. First that it is two men in the truck (not always the case). Pay is NOT always split 50/50 between drivers. Example one being a codriver in a truck with the owner of the truck. Example 2 Some owners designate a "lead driver" and a "codriver" where the Lead driver gets a higher %.

The expenses are your own anywhere you live and work, be it on the road or working a 9 to 5. Waiting 2-3 weeks for ANY reimbursement is a CROCK and a sign of an under funded owner. Any receipt that is turned in for reimbursement should be paid in the NEXT settlement, unless otherwise stated in the contract. If the contract says 2-3 weeks then its your own fault for signing it if you can't afford to wait.

3. Tractor Trailer expedite. You can haul anything. It will all fit on the trailer. You know how to drive one, you are not intimidated by backing in, putting on chains, dropping the trailer, sliding the tandems, etc. Negatives: hard to park anywhere while "waiting for the beep" and not so many creature comforts such as a large fridge, comfy double bed, stretch out room, etc. Usually pays more per mile.

Sehnanigans, there are tractors parked at Walmarts all over the country. It is fair to say that there are more custom sleepers on tractors than there are on straights. As to the pay being more in a tractor vs a straight, that all depends on the team and what they will run for.

Now, with all that said, and I am sure others will chime in with great intentions, there are some things to consider in making a change to expedite. There are many expedite carriers out there doing it, looking for the same freight in the same areas at the same time. Laredo is a good example. Dallas another. One expedite company has a great market in the NorthEast, its closest competitor does not and you sit. Very few expedite companies venture into the Far West - no expedite freight leaves unless its a good day in LA. We went five months without seeing our house on the Oregon Coast at one point in a straight because there is little expedite freight out this way and even less to get out and back East of the Mississippi.

Again that depends on the carrier, we and people we know run out west and back and not always out of LA. Once again it comes down to KNOWING where your specific carrier has freight and to charge accordingly on a load by load basis. Just because the wheels are turning doesn't mean your earning.

One of the biggest challenges is the winter driving. Few straights have chain up capabilities, and you can see the traction concerns when it was so much better to have all that weight and both tractor and trailer brakes to count on, not including the jake brake (which some straights do not have). While it is rare, it is also possible to receive an overweight ticket in a straight as well. Most expediters will have to park in a storm. The freight is too valuable to lose. When you sit, you lose.
I already covered the chaining of straights earlier (still shaking my head over that one). A wise driver of ANY vehicle hauling freight will know what the weather is going to be on any given run. With that knowledge they should load the truck/van/TT properly to have the drive axle getting the weight it needs on it for the given conditions. It is possible to get an overweight ticket in ANY vehicle, you could get one on a scooter if over the stickered weight. As for "having" to park in a storm, well, the only one who dictates when I HAVE to park is me and law enforcement (closing of, lets say, I-80), I have not once been told by a carrier to park, that decission is mine to make based on my safety and the safety of those arround me.

We enjoyed the expediting world, saw a lot of great places in this country and Canada. We always made a point of seeing every thing we could while laying over in an area. Flea markets, Indian Pow Wows, national wonders, giant malls, quiet waterfalls. Some things you can't do in a tractor trailer, but if you can bobtail it is still a possibility. There are many times we rented a car and visited Maritime Museums, Art Museums, Classic Car Shows, etc. We would make a sacrifice between a car or cab or a motel room some times, and sleep in our truck after our excursions.

With expediting you are usually not dealing with One Driver Manager or One Dispatcher or One Safety Person. There are multiple personalities and multiple turds. There is usually no one to complain to if you feel you have been wronged. You are on your own. A lot of folks here on EO love it that way.

There is ALWAYS someone to discuss issues with at EVERY carrier. They are called managers, or, the managers manager and if that doesn' work there is the managers managers manager or a lawyer. Complaining normaly gets people little to nothing in the way of results, just sayin.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, every expediter I have met, worked with or drove for, is a true survivor. McGyvers of the highway. We are basically still the Kings of the Road, will wave at each other, have coffee and a conversation, share our trucks and experiences. The tractor trailer comeraderie of the Smoky and The Bandit days is long gone. Expediters still have it in them.

We retired in July for several reasons, but primarily the issue for me is dealing with the CHP in Califoney, the on again off again CSA bullcr....., the demands for drivers to give more than we get, the lies we are told get bigger and bigger, the lack of money to keep the fleets properly maintained so that we, the drivers, get the points, or the time wasted, the lawyer fees to fight the ticket for parking where we shouldn't for longer than we should have etc.

Goes back to the owner(s) that you chose to run for and your (in)ability to walk away from a bad situation. As for the regs and the rest ....nevermind.

I would not have traded the nine years I drove with my husband for any money in the world. It was a great experience and everything we did was done 50/50. The good, the very good, the bad, the very bad and the extremely ugly.

Kat

A bad day expediting is still better than the best day punching a clock.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I can always count on you Slacktide.
Obviously you have had a perfect world in expediting. Congratulations.

Fedex is one who will tell you to park in a bad weather situation. There is NO ONE at Fedex who will assist you in dealing with the owner of the truck you are driving.

At Panther you can go higher up if you feel there is an issue with a Panther employee.

The best advice is to get the owner you are considering to give you some of their past and current drivers' contact info and you call them and ask serious questions. If they will not share that with you, run.

And kudos to you again, Slacktide. You obvious have never worked for an owner in expediting that has treated you badly, left you stranded, or shorts you money.

As far as my comments about chaining in straights, neither of the owners of the straights we drove allowed chaining. GO figure.

I will be happy to share the owners I have driven for at the fed and the cat to anyone who pm's me. And will tell the truth about each situation.

We recruited a team to drive for a recent owner we drove for who at this point, have not been reimbursed for turned in tickets and receipts for over four weeks. A supervisor at that company has very recently become unemployed due to mishandling of drivers' funds. The owner has yet to contact these drivers about the situation. It can happen. It is not always a perfect situation.

The purpose of my posts is to give a newbie considering expediting something to think about. There isn't one statement that I have made in my posts on this topic that cannot be substantiated.

I wish everyone's experiences in expediting are better than some of mine. I could say a lot more about the things that happened to us in our travels as expediters but we got past it.

Happy Thanksgiving all!!!!

greyweulf

Active Expediter
wow! THANK YOU Ladies and Gentlemen.

So in a nutshell, let me rehash what I learned so far.

There is generally more money in Straight Trucks or Tractors than in Vans.

You can run all you want in an unregulated Van as there are no logs etc., and thereby may be able to match the net take home of a larger vehicle. However, this is not always practical.

Unlike other areas of trucking, most drivers are generally considered Independent Contractors and take on a shared risk with the Owner of the vehicle. Likewise, in expediting, some carriers are not actively looking to keep the truck rolling. Exceptions like Load1 are not the norm.

Many drivers are paid a percentage of what the truck makes and might be responsible for all tolls, fuel etc. So the owner basically capitalize the cost of a truck and hope to make a profit on the arbitrage of the interest they are paying. Trucking happens to be a conduit for a finance business. That is, if the truck payment is $3K per month, they are hoping the truck will net them on an average more than 3K per month plus major maintenance expenses and ultimately the driver/business partner is responsible to make it a reality.

My perception is that expediting is a better business than Auto Hauling or Flatbed. The drawback is that you might be away from more and needs business acumen to be successful. You cannot be just a driver or order taker.

Now can you all help me put some average numbers in terms of what one could expect over a quarter or even annually, being a reasonable Independent Contract Driver partner to a reasonable Owner contracted to reasonable Carrier?

I genuinely appreciate your advice. THANK YOU and look forward to hearing more...

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Just one note on cargo vans . If you haul hazmat requiring placards you do have to log while carrying that load . You also have to show on duty hours for the past 7 days . You will not be in violation if you were not within HOS restrictions on those days but you are subject to the 70 hours in 8 days rule .

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think most companies of any size do actively look for loads for their drivers. There is a lot of slow periods in expedite and load1 is no exception.

Yes you can run longer in a van but that being said general when tiles are slow a st has better shots at loads. If a van is sitting your not gaining any miles due to no logs.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
You've done a pretty good job of comprehending what is being presented. However, xiggi is correct....I would not get too excited about the part where the vans can make as much since they can run more. Two reasons: 1. Your body can only do so much whether your regulated or not. 2. Vans are the toughest vehicle to keep freight on. The van segment is waaay over populated putting a lot of pressure on the rates for the few loads that are out there.

Most companies will be looking for freight for your specific truck (some don't, but most do). Some do it better than others. I believe the smaller companies take more interest in individual trucks than larger companies do.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
And Dynamite, you are with the prime, number one expedite company out there. Makes a huge huge difference. We might still be in it had we driven for someone like Chef or Wolfeman. We believe John's business model is the best out there. Not everyone can start their expedite career at Number One they have to be a grunt somewhere else and learn the ropes.

see, you had problems with owner that gave you a bad experience. which is another problem that needs dealt with. there should be a way to get rid of bad owners.

enough said about that. anyone with a good business plan and debt management can make a decent living in this business. will you get rich, probably not but you can make a living and a decent one.

we get the impression from your statement that i quoted that you think we got into expediting and signed on with load one. well, we have been expediting for 12 years. so we have been around the block almost once. i started with panther, when tina came on the truck we went to conway till they sold to panther then tristate and a few small carriers till coming to load one. so we have battled the industry and been through the low times. we didnt just fall into a great carrier and a bed of roses. we have had it as tough as it could be at times. but, we are still here cause of good business planning, debt and money management skills.

your case unfortunately happens way to much and we do see where it would put a bad taste in your mouth.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I knew you were a veteran with expediting, I was trying to relate that most newbies do NOT get to start their expediting career with the best company that does all it can and will to help their drivers succeed.

Most have to start with the "other" companies and owners and learn the good the bad, and the ugly.

All that is well documented on EO over the years not just by me, but by many, and well worth the read-through.

Sorry if you felt I wasn't clear on that, Dynamite.

Happy Thanksgiving