Expediter Services Truck Drivers-Question?

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, Well Greg (Buddy) and i have finally decided to go out with Expediter Service signed on with FedEx.....I have a question for drivers driving for Expediter Services....I know their Kenworth Trucks .....We are taking our Dog Buddy with us and want to get a Doggie Ramp for him but i need the measurements from the passenger floor to the ground so we know how long of a ramp to get......We go to Ohio on Dec 4th to pick up our truck before orientation on the 7th, We would like to get the Ramp before we go....Can anyone help us on this? Also we need to get a CB radio but don't know what size to get, How big are the mounts in the trucks and do they have to be hardwired or do you use a cigarette lighter?.......I have a ton of questions about the sleeper, But i guess we will find out all that stuff next week.....Thanks amillion for all the info we have learned from this site over the last two years.......Wish us Luck....Here we go!!!!! Gail/MISSBUDDY:D

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
they are t600's right .. why not go to a local kw dealer and check it out .... they are all about the same within a few inches .... I was thinking about going with them too.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I bought a Uniden 810(i think)XL pro CB and have been quite happy with it. Only cost $49.00 I have heard to spend money on the antenna, since most CB's are similiar, just more bells and whistles on the more expensive ones

you can use a cigarette lighter but it hooks up with only two wires. A positive and a negative very simple to hook up. If it is not your truck use Velcro to mount to dash, so you don't have to drill holes

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
We have found various styles of pet ramps available on-line including ebay. Pet Smart & Petco carry some as well.

The ramp (s) that we are looking at are designed to fold up compact size. We would hope to store it behind the seat.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Before you buy you might want to be in the truck for awhile, T600 is not known for it's generous size.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be careful with the dog and FDCC. For the most part White Glove does NOT allow pets in the trucks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are one or two WG trucks that have pets, that is all that I know of. We were told NO pets. We are also a non-smoking truck. For art loads they want non-smokers since we often have a currier on the truck.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Hi, Well Greg (Buddy) and i have finally decided to go out with Expediter Service signed on with FedEx.....I have a question for drivers driving for Expediter Services....I know their Kenworth Trucks .....We are taking our Dog Buddy with us and want to get a Doggie Ramp for him but i need the measurements from the passenger floor to the ground so we know how long of a ramp to get......We go to Ohio on Dec 4th to pick up our truck before orientation on the 7th, We would like to get the Ramp before we go....Can anyone help us on this? Also we need to get a CB radio but don't know what size to get, How big are the mounts in the trucks and do they have to be hardwired or do you use a cigarette lighter?.......I have a ton of questions about the sleeper, But i guess we will find out all that stuff next week.....Thanks amillion for all the info we have learned from this site over the last two years.......Wish us Luck....Here we go!!!!! Gail/MISSBUDDY:D

I assume you will be in a surface truck since dogs are not allowed in the White Glove fleet.
Depending on the truck assigned to you there will be 1 or 2 side tool boxes to keep the ramp in because space is very limited behind the seat and in the cab in general.
CBs are a standard size and there is an overhead compartment with a velcro strap where it will fit right in. There is a built in antennae and power source that the cb plugs into. Quick and simple.
It is a great idea to go by a dealer and check out a T660 and a T600 (older model) if they have one.
Also there are good pics on KWs website. You should be in a 86" studio sleeper.
If you have a truck # assigned to you, you can call Jeff at Hissong KW in Richfield for any specific questions about the truck you are getting.
Any sleeper question can be pm'd to me if you like. We know the ES trucks very well. :D

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
I assume you will be in a surface truck since dogs are not allowed in the White Glove fleet.
Depending on the truck assigned to you there will be 1 or 2 side tool boxes to keep the ramp in because space is very limited behind the seat and in the cab in general.
CBs are a standard size and there is an overhead compartment with a velcro strap where it will fit right in. There is a built in antennae and power source that the cb plugs into. Quick and simple.
It is a great idea to go by a dealer and check out a T660 and a T600 (older model) if they have one.
Also there are good pics on KWs website. You should be in a 86" studio sleeper.
If you have a truck # assigned to you, you can call Jeff at Hissong KW in Richfield for any specific questions about the truck you are getting.
Any sleeper question can be pm'd to me if you like. We know the ES trucks very well. :D

Thanks so much for the info Humble2drive.....Thats a big help and if we think of some questions we will PM you......Do you have any idea how long of a ramp we will need for Buddy? From the passenger floor to the ground? We want to get one before we go out next week.....Thanks a million....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good luck to you and your husband, MissBuddy!! Be sure to post in here as often as you can as you get started, this is a very good place to get information. Be sure to sign up for the FedEx forum. That is a good place to get more pointed information and drop us a pm whenever you have a question. We are more than happy to help when we can.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the considerations on using a ramp for a dog is how close we often have to park to the truck next to us in a truck stop. There are times when there is barely enough room to open the doors!

There are no dogs allowed in WG and if caught with a dog you will immediately lose your WG flag.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks so much to all of you that have replied to my wifes (missbuddy) questions.

Yes we will continue to read the EO forum as we have done for a while now.

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
One of the considerations on using a ramp for a dog is how close we often have to park to the truck next to us in a truck stop. There are times when there is barely enough room to open the doors!

There are no dogs allowed in WG and if caught with a dog you will immediately lose your WG flag.

Yes we know we can't do White Glove with Buddy, Just surface for now.....I forgot about the trucks being so close, I went out with Marda for a couple of weeks and now i remember how close we parked, Well, maybe Buddy will just have to use the steps like it or not, He can jump just fine in the back seat of our pick-up so maybe he will be fine.....
Thanks everyone for all the tips, We are really going to do it!:)

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . .Do you have any idea how long of a ramp we will need for Buddy? From the passenger floor to the ground? We want to get one before we go out next week.....Thanks a million....

From passenger floor to the ground you will probably need a 20 ft ramp to provide a useable angle. In other words the truck floor is too high, but you could use a ramp to the first or second step and it would make it much easier for the pooch to climb from there or for you to do the ole doggie butt lift if help is needed.
The challenge of getting a medium to large size dog into the cab almost always requires some degree of strength as I have watched many a driver pick up their pooch.
Our Alaskan Malamute weighed over 100 lbs and I used to have the strength to scoop him up and put him in our SUV. I guess if he were with us in the truck I would have to drop him off and pick him up from a loading dock (haha).:D
Good for you for taking your loved one with you, good luck!

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
From passenger floor to the ground you will probably need a 20 ft ramp to provide a useable angle. In other words the truck floor is too high, but you could use a ramp to the first or second step and it would make it much easier for the pooch to climb from there or for you to do the ole doggie butt lift if help is needed.
The challenge of getting a medium to large size dog into the cab almost always requires some degree of strength as I have watched many a driver pick up their pooch.
Our Alaskan Malamute weighed over 100 lbs and I used to have the strength to scoop him up and put him in our SUV. I guess if he were with us in the truck I would have to drop him off and pick him up from a loading dock (haha).:D
Good for you for taking your loved one with you, good luck!

Thanks Humble, 20 foot ramp...Holy Cow:eek:, That wouldn't fit between the parked trucks....LOL....We have been looking at a 5'6" one at pet smart that we could probaly put on either the first or 2nd step to help him.....Like i said before he has no trouble jumping from the ground into the back seat of our Dodge Ram......Would be easier to pick him up from a loading dock..LOL...................We have had Buddy for 7 years since he was a puppy so i think we will keep him, He's our baby and such a good dog, He has never went to the bathroom in the house even if we leave him for 8 or 9 hours......Golden Retreaver's are awesome dogs.........Thanks for your tips.....Gail/ MISSBUDDY

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Humble, 20 foot ramp...Holy Cow:eek:, That wouldn't fit between the parked trucks....LOL....We have been looking at a 5'6" one at pet smart that we could probaly put on either the first or 2nd step to help him.....Like i said before he has no trouble jumping from the ground into the back seat of our Dodge Ram......Would be easier to pick him up from a loading dock..LOL...................We have had Buddy for 7 years since he was a puppy so i think we will keep him, He's our baby and such a good dog, He has never went to the bathroom in the house even if we leave him for 8 or 9 hours......Golden Retreaver's are awesome dogs.........Thanks for your tips.....Gail/ MISSBUDDY

P.S. I think we will just try it without a ramp and see if he can just get up the steps with our help......