expediter insurance

jerrygee

Active Expediter
I was just quoted 7200.00 a year thru Progresive! I have one speeding ticket and nothing else. I had another for 4600.00 a year. Most agents I talk to don,t have a clue...cargo van and I need 1 million liability and 100,000 cargo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

zorry

Veteran Expediter
As you're inclined to take the lower priced policy,read it very carefully.
Insurance is not a place to skimp.

Is retirement an option ?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Are leased to a carrier? That number sounds high unless you are running under your own authority.

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
I was just quoted 7200.00 a year thru Progresive! I have one speeding ticket and nothing else. I had another for 4600.00 a year. Most agents I talk to don,t have a clue...cargo van and I need 1 million liability and 100,000 cargo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you're leasing to a carrier not sure why you would need that much insurance...should be the carriers responsibility....and OOIDA is an association for truckers/owner operators. Worth joining for $45 a year. If you're leasing to a carrier and they want you to provide the insurance...might reconsider the carrier.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Don't know if it is the speeding ticket or something else like credit score that's bumping up your premium so much, but more the norm is--for that type of coverage with low deductibles--at least through Progressive via CIS, around 270/month or 3240/yr. That can be adjusted depending on how much you want to vary the deductibles, etc, while keeping the 100,000/1,000,000.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I have a feeling that a lot of questions will be answered in Shelly's blog over the next few weeks.

Yep, probably. Those whose premium renewals have come due are seeing jumps of varying degrees...and I'm betting a lot of the discrepancy in numbers and new quotes stem from that.

She responded to another thread in here last week about this

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can use my OOIDA number, 677319, to get a $20 discount when signing up, or use anyone's number but you are welcome to use mine. If you haven't already checked with CIS, one of the sponsors here at the forum, be sure to do so. They are a GREAT group to work with and they know expediting better than anyone so they know how to optimize things in your favor. Good luck.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Why would you pay all that money to purchase your own cargo insurance so you can run your truck for 85 cents per mile? It's time to scrap the multi-carrier model and head back to one of the bigger companies!

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
Sounds like they don't understand your business. I have to carry full liability and my insurance is about 3200$ a year. I would get a quote from Cis the ladies there do good work. They did say there was a jump on insurance premiums. To many people running into things. Lol