Expedited load boards

NMTRANSPORT

Seasoned Expediter
Hi this is jessica with n & m transportation does any one know of any good load bords for expidited freight im on a few nlm isnt letting any one in right know and im working on getting in with active areo

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Re: Expidited load bords

Due to the nature of "expedited" freight it is unrealistic to expect decent paying loads off a public board. It sounds like you are plugged into a few already.

Have you considered leasing with a carrier?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Re: Expidited load bords

Due to the nature of "expedited" freight it is unrealistic to expect decent paying loads off a public board. It sounds like you are plugged into a few already.

Have you considered leasing with a carrier?

Jessica,

It's true, NLM,Active aero,Expeditors are all great 3pl's and we use them daily to "back haul" our trucks. Even though they manage "premium loads" your direct customer will always have the best rates.

I suggest using a google search under "3PL" and it will give you a list of a hundred. Have your best knowledgable salesperson make contact with their lane managers and start with a introduction. Even though they are extremely busy and you will be a interruption in their day cause they hear from prospective carriers daily, grab their email address. At least with this you are no longer a "burden" by phone but know you are in front of them daily. Worse case scenario, send them your truck availability. They will not only see your name daily, but they may recognize that you have trucks in a hard to cover area.

With your foot in the door, they may pick you up after seeing that you are consistant. Then your next obstacle will be performance. Most 3PL's are based on a scoring system. With 100 being the best, a carrier with a score of 95 is more likely to pick up a load sooner than a carrier with a score of 87.

Once you aquire a 3Pl, you need to research the customers the 3PL manages. Routes,locations of plants, how many shipments per year each location ships, and your rate matrix will also determine your volume.

You MUST have 24/7/365 dispatch, and more times then not, at our busiest hours which are after 6pm I always hear the same story from dispatcher at smaller companies, " I dont know,let me call you back". NO WAY, I won't call you again, and a 3PL will? Not after hearing that too many times.

Please make sure your ready for this cause you will have 1 chance to get in the door, this is a extremely competitive industry. And may I suggest a spell check program before you send out any emails to potential customers.

I wish you great success!!:cool:

P.S. We are a broker and have a large preferred carrier base. If you are interested in opportunities please send me a PM.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
On another note, for example, Chrysler only has 176 preferred expedite carriers and they are looking to downsize. I am not sure the number of carriers in the market but I imagine it's over 10k. If that that helps. You have to be able to "WOW" these guys. Tell them what sets you apart from the "rest of the crowd". FYI, last I checked Chrysler only had 19 FAST/CSA carriers and that's NOT enough. Check it out.

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
WOW Mr. Clark, that is some very good info. It is so refreshing to see someone who is actually willing and capable of helping!

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
Hi this is jessica with n & m transportation does any one know of any good load bords for expidited freight im on a few nlm isnt letting any one in right know and im working on getting in with active areo

It's very hard to get an account with NLM, they're very selective. On the other hand, if you go for Sylectus Alliance, they'll accept you, but it's gonna be very hard to get loads from there, especially if you have only cargo vans. The top daily loads that board offers is around 600, mostly for straight trucks and tractor-trailers, while the fleet consist in over 10,000 vehicles (from all Alliance members), so just do the math... the best thing for you might be to get your own customers, at least for the beginning...

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
The best thing to do is to get as many irons in the fire as you can. Get on all the usual boards and try to cultivate a customer base as well from the 3PLs and what not. It's basic math. The more freight you have access to see, the better chances you have of moving your vehicles.

NMTRANSPORT

Seasoned Expediter
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE INFO :) WE HAVE 16 SPRINTERS 5 CARGO VANS 2 STRAIGHT TRUCKS AND 1 SEMI I AM ALREADY ON A FEW LOAD BORDS IM ALREADY BEING BAD MOUTH ON ANOTHER POST:mad: BECAUSE I POSTED ASKING ABOGHT MORE LOAD BORDS JUST TRYING TO KEEP MY DRIVERS MOVING AND HAPPY EVERY ONE NEEDS TO START SOME WHERE
AND IF IT HELPS TO KNOW I USE TO DRIVE SEMI TRUCKS BEFORE I DISPATCHED I DROVE 53 FT DRY VAN 53 FT REFER UNIT AND A FLAT BED

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
John, that was a real quality response. Great job.

Jessica, I totally respect that you're out here trying for your drivers. Also a great job.

jw-bama

Seasoned Expediter
wow just when i had lost all hope , someone gave out info on load boards that is useful. thanks jd. not that i havent learned a lot from this site, its just most seem to get very protective about load boards. to the newbies anyway.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
wow just when i had lost all hope , someone gave out info on load boards that is useful. thanks jd. not that i havent learned a lot from this site, its just most seem to get very protective about load boards. to the newbies anyway.

Let's thank Lawrence, this is his place. Without him we would not share information or education. No one could ever imagine a place where the "big fish" and the "little fish" could swim together and share.

I was not fortunate to find EO when I started. It was my wife and I with a small desk in the back bedroom. Spending all day on the phones, me with the ladies and her harrasing the men.

We worked hours on end with gathering emails and intel and yet had nothing to do with expediting. Expedite was a total accident! But once I did I had a great person go out of his way and mentor me thru all the obstacles. Thanks Steve!!

It took many years, 6 tough years of knocking doors down and listening and never taking "NO" as the final answer.

My mentor gave me the knowledge to move forward and look beyond myself and my business at the time.

To sum this up, I worked my way up in 6 short years to be "on top" of this pile.

So please-- step on no one! Respect the people that came before you, and provide the necessary info for everyone to succeed. It's my job to keep what I have and it's your right to better yourself and be apart of what I have become.

Great success to everyone!!

Thanks Lawrence!!

abistriceanu

Rookie Expediter
John from JD Clark has a lot of great comments! Great job John, I have been in business for a while now and its the first time when I actually see someone willing to help in this business.