expedite companies

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats a hard one, There is no One Size fits all Company, Myself I prefer a Small Company and have done well with that. But I see Drivers Come and Drivers Go that Complain that can't make Money with a Small Company, While I've never been happy with a Big one.and I've tried a few, Do you research try one on and see how it fits you Might have to try 2 or 3 on before you find your fit.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
K_S:

I've dredged up this old post because I think it's an appropriate response to your rather generalized question. I repeat it for your consideration. Of particular interest is the OOIDA link at the end; it's worthy of a review.

Not a week goes by that someone asks, "what's the best carrier with which to lease?"
A while back, Broompilot mentioned that there are 31 expedite carriers that advertise with ExpeditersOnline. A long while back, a respected leader in our business community said "Asking any individual what's the best carrier is like asking any individual 'what's the best ice cream flavor'".

While now sitting at a great (not) layover site, Asheville, NC, I realized the coincidence of those two statements. We have 31 carrier sponsors and Baskin Robbins has 31 original flavors. In the same manner that no one can quantify the best flavor of ice cream, no one can quantify the best expedite carrier. I like Chocolate, you like Vanilla and everyone else has their favorite. Then again, yesterday, I liked chocolate; today, Rocky Road is the best flavor

How would you even define the best?

Is it more revenue miles per year, every year? Is it the least deadhead miles? The most pay per revenue mile? How 'bout the friendliest dispatchers? Easy access to the carrier President? Highest FSC? Cheapest Qualcomm, insurance or other charges? Find your own freight capability? Strict adherence to safety regulations? Lax adherence to safety regulations? Nationwide freight? Regional Freight? Home every weekend? Keep you busy every weekend? Busier solos? Busier teams? Etc, Etc, Etc.

The best we can tell any aspiring expediter is to talk to as many recruiters, owners and/or drivers as necessary for you to determine which flavor is the best company for you. To aid you in determining the questions which will be helpful to make an informed decision, check out the following site’s information:

http://www.ooida.com/Swimming_sharks/help_list_owner_ops.html

Marty

Veteran Expediter
No company is busy all the time and no company keeps all its drivers happy. In expediting some people make out well financially, some just do so-so, and others starve. Sometimes its the driver's fault they starve. Sometimes its the company's fault.
Expediting is not what it used to be. Increased competition has led to decreased rates. Expediting companies can afford this change better than the owner-operators whom are leased to them because they aren't the ones who pay equipment costs.
Many expediting companies have drastically cut their rates in order to gain a higher share of the market to the detriment of their owner-operators' ability to remain solvent.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Narrow down the search to the companies you are most interested in. Then research the companies searching through the archives of EO and also talk to drivers of each company. Once you have settled on a carrier learn everything you can about that company. Then personify all of the characteristics that the company you drive for looks for in a successful driver.