Mechanic
iY2AW.jpg

I prefer cool ranch.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You have pet giant isopods?

You know, you can deep fry those and they taste like a cross between crab and shrimp, and really dirty socks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nothing all that weird. It had it at a Japanese restaurant in Seattle. It's a very popular dish in Japan. Then again, they eat anything out of the sea, most of it raw (but not isopods). You can eat the shell, but it's about like eating the shells of shrimps or prawns, and gives the isopod a metallic, tin-foil aftertaste that reminds me of dirty socks. The meat is white like shrimp or crab or lobster, and only about 20 percent of the isopod is meat. The rest is that lovely shell.

As much as it resembles a pill bug or roly-poly bug or whatever you call them, they ain't bugs. They're bottom-feeder crustaceans just like crabs. They get caught in crab pots and shrimp nets, and live generally between 500 and 3500 feet below the surface.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, I've never actually eaten dirty socks. But I have smelled them. Taste = smell. Everything tastes like it smells. Our taste buds can only distinguish between salty, sweet, sour, savory and bitter. Beyond that, virtually everything else about the taste comes from the smell.

Sometimes you have to eat it to smell it, as it might not have a distinctive olfactory odor, but the same receptors for smell are the ones that detect flavor in food (beyond salty, sweet, sour, savory and bitter).

If you don't believe me, have a bite of fried isopod, and you'll discover that you know what dirty socks taste like, too. :yuck:

Reactions: danthewolf00

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
No, I've never actually eaten dirty socks. But I have smelled them. Taste = smell. Everything tastes like it smells. Our taste buds can only distinguish between salty, sweet, sour, savory and bitter. Beyond that, virtually everything else about the taste comes from the smell.

Sometimes you have to eat it to smell it, as it might not have a distinctive olfactory odor, but the same receptors for smell are the ones that detect flavor in food (beyond salty, sweet, sour, savory and bitter).

If you don't believe me, have a bite of fried isopod, and you'll discover that you know what dirty socks taste like, too. :yuck:
Ever try durian? That stuff seriously messes with the taste/smell correlation.

Reactions: FlyingVan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have not. Never even seen (or smelled) one. Heard about them, though.