Espar not working

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Our Espar shut off this morning. I turned it on this evening and it worked for a minute, but the fan sounded strange like it was lagging so I turned it off. Now it will not turn on at all. Usually the fan kicks on, then the fuel metering pump. The light on the dial comes on, but the fan doesn't kick on. We did try removing the fuse, and cleaning any dust and dirt away from the unit. We used it over the last month or so with no problems. The unit itself is about 7 or so years old.

Anyone have any ideas?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know nothing about Espar heaters but my best guess, based on the strange fan noise and being 7 years old, is that it is probably the fan bearings. Call Ray at Espar.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I know nothing about Espar heaters but my best guess, based on the strange fan noise and being 7 years old, is that it is probably the fan bearings. Call Ray at Espar.

I did call Ray about a month ago, left a message about wanting some work and upgrades done on the unit. Never got a call back. It was so much easyer when he was by the airport and I could just pop right in.

The reason we wanted some ideas or pointers is because we are in your neck of the woods Moot, and its shaping up to be a chilly night tonight.

moose

Veteran Expediter
There are many Espar heaters dealers all across the country.
many of the Thermoking locations will stock parts, and give warranty for the work.
the Thermoking in Albert Lea, is a good one.
it is also a very popular unit with RV and Marine dealers.
just Google it.
G/L.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a Thermo King dealer in New Brighton off I-35W just north of I-694.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Our Espar shut off this morning. I turned it on this evening and it worked for a minute, but the fan sounded strange like it was lagging so I turned it off. Now it will not turn on at all. Usually the fan kicks on, then the fuel metering pump. The light on the dial comes on, but the fan doesn't kick on.
Pull the plastic top cover and inspect for debris and dust bunnies.

It's a good idea to do this and blow out under the cover with compressed air at least once annually.

After replacing the plastic cover, rotate the fan to make sure it is not hitting the cover and turns freely. If the cover is not fully and correctly snapped into place, the cover may be slightly deformed until it is (correctly snapped into place) and may rub on the fan wheel, preventing free rotation which may cause a fault.

We did try removing the fuse, and cleaning any dust and dirt away from the unit. We used it over the last month or so with no problems. The unit itself is about 7 or so years old.

Anyone have any ideas?
There is a small vent hole in the area of the glowplug/ignitor which becomes obstructed with (incomplete) combustion debris (may look like wet black cinders or carbon after you dig it out) - a unit so obstructed will not properly fire off and ignite.

An indication of this condition is a unit which makes an abnormal amount of white smoke at start up, takes several tries to start, etc ...

To clean this crud out requires removal of the glowplug .... which requires a special socket/tool (with a relief slot cut in it for the glow plug wire/lead)

I'd let you borrow mine ... but I'm in Miami at the moment (where lack of heat isn't the problem :D)

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I removed to top plastic cover earlier and it was not overly dusty and I was not attacked by any killer dust bunnies. I put everything back together and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then tried starting it. To my amazement it started right up and pumped out some nice heat. Unfortunately the heat only lasted about 45 minutes before the unit shut down again. It sat for about 25 minutes and I just tried restarting it and it kicked on but it sounds like the fan is surging just a tiny bit. Hopefully it will stay running.

Moot & Moose, thanks for the suggestions. Earlier this evening, I called the two local TK dealers here in Minneapolis and one said they were busy for a few days, the other said they might get to it tomorrow but weren't sure.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Nick,

I removed to top plastic cover earlier and it was not overly dusty and I was not attacked by any killer dust bunnies.
Glad to hear it :D

Another thing to check is down inside/on the fan impeller itself - at one point the impeller on mine had accumulated enough residual dust that I thought it might be a wise idea to clean it off with some q-tips and rubbing alcohol, just in case that was throwing it out of balance or something ...

FWIW, mine is not generally overly dusty either ..... however it will periodically make noise, as though the impeller for the fan is dragging or rubbing against the plastic cover ..... sometimes this goes away fairly quickly, other times it will continue for quite awhile ... and still other times it never even occurs .... what causes it, I'm not particularly sure ....

I put everything back together and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then tried starting it. To my amazement it started right up and pumped out some nice heat. Unfortunately the heat only lasted about 45 minutes before the unit shut down again. It sat for about 25 minutes and I just tried restarting it and it kicked on but it sounds like the fan is surging just a tiny bit. Hopefully it will stay running.

Moot & Moose, thanks for the suggestions. Earlier this evening, I called the two local TK dealers here in Minneapolis and one said they were busy for a few days, the other said they might get to it tomorrow but weren't sure.
I'd at least swing buy and pick up the glow plug socket tool if they have it - it should only be a couple of dollars. Once you remove the glowplug you should be able to see the vent hole and the carbon obstructing it. IIRC, it is on the bottom of the glowplug cavity (on a D2 heater)

It can't hurt to pull the glowplug and clean out any debris you find, as a partially clogged vent hole may hamper low heat operation, as well as startup.

When I was diagnosing mine Ray told me that sometimes the combustion chambers themselves will clog/carbon up and that there are a couple of solutions, depending on the severity of the problem:

1. Run some K-1 kerosene (which is much cleaner than diesel) thru the unit.

2. Complete unit teardown and disassembly for cleaning of carbon deposits inside the combustion chamber (which can become pretty much completely clogged with carbon)

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Well it seems like it only wants to run in 45 minute spurts. So we are going to bundle up tonight and cover up with some extra moving blankets to stay warm. I am going to swing by the Tk dealer at 7 when they open, maybe by chance they can get us in.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
At TK. The blower motor is toast. It is $600+ to replace the blower motor or $895 for a whole new unit including installation and a 2 years warranty. They said that they estimate that the age of the product itself is about 9 or so years old, based off from the ECM. I can't complain, we definitely got great use out of it.

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
Jenny, Sorry for you heat problems. Sounds like the heater has worked pretty well for you since that last time Espar of Michigan serviced it. In regards to our new service location, it really isn't far from our old Romulus location, it is at 275 and exit 8 in New Boston, MI. Sorry for any confusion on that. We can always be reached at the 800.837.3900 number. That 800# follows me wherever i go. Stay warm

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jenny, Sorry for you heat problems. Sounds like the heater has worked pretty well for you since that last time Espar of Michigan serviced it. In regards to our new service location, it really isn't far from our old Romulus location, it is at 275 and exit 8 in New Boston, MI. Sorry for any confusion on that. We can always be reached at the 800.837.3900 number. That 800# follows me wherever i go. Stay warm

Have you posted the correct address? I googled it and come up with
Espar of Michigan
3250 Old Farm Lane
Suite 6
Commerce Twp., Mi. 48390

Nowhere close to Exit 8 off of I-275

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
The 3250 Old Farm Lane Suite 6 address is our sales and parts warehouse. All of our service and installations take place in New Boston, MI. It's always best to call my 800.837.3900 number as our service technicians are sometimes on the road.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
My espar has been a no go so far this year...until tonight. I just kept turning it on and letting it cycle. I had come to the conclusion that the fuel pump wasnt working (I couldnt hear it...even outside the truck). So, Im waiting to get loaded and decided to turn it on and get outside to see what was up with the pump (no power?, froze up?). When I got out, I could hear it this time. Got back in the truck and cranked it wide open. Im roasting now, but Im gonna let it run a while. Hopefully that will get the cobwebs out of it for the winter.

It is recommended to fire up an Espar once a month,every month and let it run at full blast for a half hour or so. I have not done that this year and thats probably the reason I had some trouble. Lesson learned!

60MPH

Expert Expediter
My espar has been a no go so far this year...until tonight. I just kept turning it on and letting it cycle. I had come to the conclusion that the fuel pump wasnt working (I couldnt hear it...even outside the truck). So, Im waiting to get loaded and decided to turn it on and get outside to see what was up with the pump (no power?, froze up?). When I got out, I could hear it this time. Got back in the truck and cranked it wide open. Im roasting now, but Im gonna let it run a while. Hopefully that will get the cobwebs out of it for the winter.

It is recommended to fire up an Espar once a month,every month and let it run at full blast for a half hour or so. I have not done that this year and thats probably the reason I had some trouble. Lesson learned!

Same problem if the thermostat is anything less the full hot it will attempt to start about 3 times and just give up. If I crank it full blast it will fire and I start roasting then back it off, it will run until I shut it off. Going to have to use it tonight here at JFK, hope it starts.

I thought it might of had something to do with my fuel system losing vacuum, but I had that problem fixed in less then a day and the espar was still giving me a fit. Will see if it gives me a fit tonight. Was working great since Sept. and Saturday night was the first night with problems and it was cold in ME. that night.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Same problem if the thermostat is anything less the full hot it will attempt to start about 3 times and just give up. If I crank it full blast it will fire and I start roasting then back it off, it will run until I shut it off. Going to have to use it tonight here at JFK, hope it starts.

I thought it might of had something to do with my fuel system losing vacuum, but I had that problem fixed in less then a day and the espar was still giving me a fit. Will see if it gives me a fit tonight. Was working great since Sept. and Saturday night was the first night with problems and it was cold in ME. that night.

Actually that seems to be a common problem. Thats what ours did for the last year. We learned to adapt to it having to always be on high. We would open the roof vent until we were at a comfortable temperature. I would also point the vent towards the back of the van, and up towards the ceiling.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Actually that seems to be a common problem. Thats what ours did for the last year. We learned to adapt to it having to always be on high. We would open the roof vent until we were at a comfortable temperature. I would also point the vent towards the back of the van, and up towards the ceiling.

I had the same problem last season and took it in to Ray, they replaced the screen and I think the ignitor and it worked great until a couple days ago. Found a RV/Marine dealer in Saco, ME. that does service on them. Have a appointment next week to have them look at it. It did fire on the first start last night with the thermostat on high.

So windy at JFK this morning they rerouted my plane to Newark :mad: Now I get to fight morning rush traffic onto the island to drop in Nassau county. Yea me :( Not to mention the tolls both way... Ouch!!!