EOBR not so BAD

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I finally did it! Kicking screaming, crying and clawing..wait if not installed by March 31...no contract? Well let me rethink this for about 1/10 a second...ok install the thing. Gee not so bad afterall. I still have my truck, my freedom (I never bothered with Off Duty Driving until now) actually more freedom from not having to do paper logs. And as a friend stated to me a month ago, "It gives you more driving time" He is like me when stopping to fuel under paper logs I generally forgot (didn't bother) to show on duty not driving...I just kept that driving line going...oops out of time, now my wife has to drive. Well this thing will switch to on duty not driving the second you turn that key off...and don't think you can just idle and burn up your drive time because it will switch to on duty... after a few minutes of idle. Now I have to drive my full 10 or 11 hours ( but at least my wife is happier. I can't pull the ole Huck Fin (getting someone else ie. her to do the work) or other tricks like procrastenating my driving time away in long fuel lines (yes dear, I know the other pumps have no one in line but, this pump has better diesel)...now I have to try to shoot for the 14 hour total...which is not likely to happen. But the bottom line is I actually like it. Its better than the 'power-pad' I used in my FED Express days. I also got to know the logging dept better with my gazillion what-if questions and had a few very suprising answers. All-in-all, no need to wait to the last minute. The system although not perfect is easy to master and simplifies the HOS/ logging.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, we have it too. It's OK, not worth the extra money each week. Seems to me it should cost us LESS!! FedEx is no longer buying zillions of log books!! That should more than offset the higher Clink costs.

Ours is in the way, have to find a way to mount it somewhere when I get home next time. Right now it is kinda like an electric brick on the floor. It is only a matter of time till one of use steps on us.

Our sleeper roof is leaking since the install, watch for that. We are looking for a time to get that taken care of.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Our EOBR was mounted using a device that slips behind the trim and held on by existing screws. (we are a FL Columbia) No holes needed to be drilled in the dash for the unit. As far as the external components, they used the existing mount and wire routing...so far no leaks. I agree that they should be less $ just like cell phones when technology went up (and usage) the price went way down. In the 1980s my cell phone which was a Uniden cost me $1200 and my monthly phone bill was around $900. The EOBs could eventually eliminate the need for trip-packs if they activate the scannner side or let us that have scanner capability use that to transmit our ppw.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Losing the trip pack would be nice.

It must be the shop that did mine, a Freightlner in Belleville, MI. Left the old cable in the truck, put the new cable so it comes out right where it can get stepped on and left me with a leak. Needless to say I am not happy. FedEx is working to get it fixed.

How many other temp control trucks are getting "reefer warnings" on the Clink every time you start your truck? We are. FedEx and Qualcom are aware. FedEx has used my truck and several other as examples for Qualcom to look at.

Sure will be nice when the bugs are worked out of this system.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Ours turns itself off and the back on whenever it feels like it. We have to stay available on phone as we don't know when it will decide to shut down again.:mad:
Dispatch has not been able to track us for 10 days now. Every 2 hours while on a run we get a current location request.
The Gps is junk. Don't try to use it to route out of Queens to NJ.
And for all this we get to pay $5 more per week.:confused:
Me say, "EOBR not so good"

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ours has only turned itself on and off once. That silly stuff went on for about 20 minutes. No problems in that regard since. There do seem to a lot of problems for a system that was tested for a long time.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We got ours installed a couple weeks ago but have used it very little because we are on vacation in Florida. I'll have more observations to share after we get back on the road. For now:

- One advantage in waiting was that we did not have to use both the log books and electronic logging as the early users did. I understand that paper DVIRs (Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports) had to be submitted for a while until electronic versions were later made possible.

- Another advantage of waiting was the cost savings. These new devices provide no significant advantage over the old ones that I have seen, but they cost $5 a week more. We got the job done with the old ones just fine.

- A third advantage of waiting was that the early units could not provide log book history beyond seven days. Readers may recall that was a big issue for Diane and me. That issue was later resolved such that six months of log book history can now be retrieved.

- We will gain no additional drive time from the new unit. We have always logged our fuel stops and made other good use of log book line 4.

- There are no safety benefits offered by these new units that cannot be achieved by other means. Proof of that can be found by comparing our carrier's SMS numbers to that of another expedite carrier that has never used electronic logging and does not intend to until legally required. That carrier's numbers are significantly better across the board.

- I am mindful of the personal conveyance discussions held here on the FCC forum a few months ago. Before saying more about that, I want to drive for a while with the new unit to see how the restrictions affect us and our ability to serve FCC and its customers.

- We are concerned about the lack of good, FCC-specific instructions pertaining to the unit. The unit's instructional videos are helpful as was the book that we received when the unit was installed, but there is a great deal missing. We would like to see a booklet developed by FCC that covers every scenario, like how to log a fuel stop, how to log a scale stop, how to log a mechanic's test drive of the truck, etc.

Failure to properly log such things could result in log violations that could otherwise be avoided. In these days of CSA points and MSS percentile rankings, the violations of one driver count against all drivers with the same carrier. With ongoing driver turnover, the better trained drivers are in the proper use of the device, the fewer violations they will have and the better off we all will be.

FCC could benefit from a good instruction booklet. By good, I mean one that is written by a skilled writer who knows in his bones exactly what it is like to drive a truck, live on the road, use the Qualcomm unit, complete a fuel stop, go through a Level 1 inspection, etc. I happen to be well acquainted with such a writer and know his consultation fees to be reasonable.

- Diane and I were careful about finding a good shop in which to have the unit installed. The Jacksonville Florida facility had a good reputation and we checked them out before making our installation appointment. The people there were willing to work with us to plan the job ahead of time on our custom-built, big-sleeper rig. They listened to my concerns and were open to coaching about where to run wires and how. I was permitted in the shop and truck to watch their every move.

- Tom the Qualcomm guy at FedEx Custom Critical was very, very helpful in the process. To my pleasant surprise, he remembered the installation issues we had five years ago when our truck was built. He was ahead of the game when it came to ordering the longer cables that were needed for our truck. He advised me ahead of time that the black box cabling was different and the new box would have to be installed in a different place. This helped us arrive at the facility fully prepared for the installation.

- At this point we have little interest in using the GPS feature. First, we have heard bad things about it from other drivers. Second, we have no need for it at all. The GPS and navigation procedures we have used for years work just fine.

- Having used the device a little bit, we find it heavier and more difficult to hold in our hands. The length and width of the new unit is smaller but it is also significantly thicker. This makes it more difficult to hold in our hands. The slide-out keyboard is also smaller, which will be a certain irritation when we are sending lengthy messages to dispatch.

- The new screen is much easier to read than the old one.

- Mounting issues will be resolved later by me. Our old unit was never mounted and stored nicely out of sight and out of the way in the space under the dash that Volvo trucks have. The new unit can be stored the same way but with a now longer cable, we are not sure what we will do.

At present, we can use it in the cab and bring it all the way to the back of our large sleeper and use it while sitting at the table there. When the fold down bed is deployed and the table self stores, we can literally take the unit to bed with us.

When we ran with the old unit, our practice was for the sleeping co-driver to take the unit as far into the sleeper as the cord would allow. If it beeped, the co-driver would deal with it while the driver continued to drive.

With the now longer cord, the co-driver won't even have to get out of bed but I wonder about sleeping through a new message. The beep of the old unit was not always welcome but it was also never missed. If the co-driver did not wake to the beep, the driver would hear it and alert the co-driver to check it out.

Right now, the too-long cord is a nuisance. We will need to experiment with the device before permanently routing it and mounting the unit if we mount it at all. I'd be interested to hear from other drivers about the new beep with the new unit. How much different is working with it than the old?

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There is good and bad with the new QC and it is here to stay so we might as well make the best of it.

The GPS is junk and something we do not use.

I am glad that we receive a text message for our load offers as we often do not hear the beep as the QC has been turned down. That to me is one of the best features is that we can now control the volume. When we are waiting over a weekend we turn the sound off and dim the light. I like this feature when I am driving as I do not want more light in the cab then I all ready have to deal with. I also like the fact I can turn the volume down and the beep does not wake up the person sleeping.

I like the ability to see the messages easier and not have to remember numbers to correspond with messages. This is something that dispatch will need to learn as the 08 message does not make much sense any more. That message needs to leave period.

I do not like how long it takes to boot and sometimes how long it takes to get a message. That takes getting used to and having patience.

Bob has a unique mounting system for our QC and it is much easier to leave the QC in the stand and use the keyboard. That reminds me that I like the back lit keyboard and how easy it is to use.

I like that FCC will be able to use the video features of the unit and keep us current on issues. I see many uses that will keep us from having to go to Green for this feature.

I do not like the higher price that we are paying for the unit. I believe we are paying more to offset the initial purchase price of the many units that FCC bought up front. We have used many version of the QC through our years out here and this one is by far the best of the lot.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We don't hear the new chime as well as we did the old beep, especially if the stereo is playing. Ours is mounted on the dash mount that fits on the Columbia. We look for the message light that is green like everything else. (Red would have been better)

Are we now allowed to use the macro for the DVIR?
We have been submitting paper ones all month.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We don't hear the new chime as well as we did the old beep, especially if the stereo is playing. Ours is mounted on the dash mount that fits on the Columbia. We look for the message light that is green like everything else. (Red would have been better)

Are we now allowed to use the macro for the DVIR?
We have been submitting paper ones all month.

We are using the "56 macro" Tom said that it was allowed. The "doorbell" is almost impossible to hear, more so for me. It falls right into the range where my hearing loss is. That is not the fault of the system, the lack of volume is. It would be nice if the volume settings could be "fixed" on the unit. We set it up but it can be changed just by "bumping" the buttons on the front of the unit.

We are going to be looking a mounting options while we are out and will work on it when home next time. That is assuming that we don't squash it in the mean time.

I still don't understand the added cost. The cost of the new units should be offset by the reduced costs of not having to buy zillions of log books. Those logs books were not cheap to have printed. Did save a lot of trees!!

Yep, we have to get used to it, no other viable options at the present. If one comes up we will jump all over it.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Since having our new qualcomm installed back in March of 2010,We have received three load offers AFTER the ten minute respond time.This is very upsetting,especially when you have a less than seventy five,or more dewell time.I have called dispatch,and our cc.All we get is opp's sorry we will look into it.The calls where made immeditly,after seeing what had happened.Twice we got the sorry notification while reading the load offer.Why dispatch could not call the truck that was wrongly given our loads,i don't understand.Dispatch could of easily resolved this problem,but chose not to!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you have the phone text option for load offers? It goes a long way to solving that problem. Many many times we have received the phone notice of the load offer long before it came across the Clink. That part of dispatch had not improved with the new system.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Yes,some times the phones goes off after the qualcomm message.Usually they go off at the same time.It depends where we are at.I have At&t

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes,some times the phones goes off after the qualcomm message.Usually they go off at the same time.It depends where we are at.I have At&t

Yep, we have seen it both ways as well with Verison. Just another tool. Just wanted to be sure you had it. We need all the tools we can get our hands on out here.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our vacation is over and we are running again, now with the new Qualcomm unit in our truck.

I wonder, how many other contractors have a difficult time hearing the alert when a new message arrives? The beep of the old units was unmistakable and always noticed.

We have a quiet truck but have already missed incoming messages on the new unit because the tone and voice is not easily heard, even when the volume is fully up. On a rough road, or on an especially windy day, or with the radio on, or when our GPS unit is talking, more messages may be missed.

Using the text message by phone is a partial solution but it only works for load offers. There are many other kinds of messages that are important too.

I say bring back the beep, at least as an option. Surly a beep or other kind of loud alarm for new messages can be programed in, can it not?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Must be the unit... I can hear mine with the radio up.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I think your QualComm has a problem as the beep on ours we can hear outside of the truck when turned up. When driving I keep the sound to 5 bars at the most as it is over whelming when it goes off.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We cannot hear ours either. Tom said it is a common problem. No solution without tearing apart the dash and hooking it into the speakers, not going to happen, or some kind of external speaker.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Layout are you talking about the beep or hearing a voice talking? We have had a few videos that are very hard to hear. The beep though is really loud.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Layout are you talking about the beep or hearing a voice talking? We have had a few videos that are very hard to hear. The beep though is really loud.

We can't hear the beep at all. This is the second unit, same problem. I have the voice off, it drives me nuts. (short trip to be sure:p) Tom says it is NOT an uncommon problem.