EO, Facebook, or ????

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Social media side of EO is changing no doubt about it, but our other services are still knocking it out. Editorial, Jobs, Truck sales etc. I don't miss the drama - Thanks FB!!! :cigar:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't miss the drama - Thanks FB!!! :cigar:
But its not all drama (soapbox) big guy. Much of what i find appealing about EO is in the General and Loading Dock forums. With these members no longer participating here, i find myself getting bored, and that hurts. I may not know anyone, but i consider everybody a friend, even LDB <poke>.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, are you referring to EW (Harrys place) or EI (Dougs place)?
If EW, i agree. If EI, not even close. EO doesnt have the anger and meanness Doug and his cohorts spewed.
It was Ew where everyone was a moderator, assistant moderator or an assistant to a moderator. It just never caught my interest.

EO doesnt have the anger and meanness Doug and his cohorts spewed.

I occasionally get stuff on my FB from one of his FB pages. For a peace loving liberal there is a lot of hate and intolerance.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
It was Ew where everyone was a moderator, assistant moderator or an assistant to a moderator. It just never caught my interest.

I occasionally get stuff on my FB from one of his FB pages. For a peace loving liberal there is a lot of hate and intolerance.

Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've hated and avoided facebook since it started.

However, after dragging and kicking my feet into Kevin Rutherford's Destination Health group, I have been spending a lot of time there. Probably 75% there and 25% EO. I still hate facebook, and the lack of organization and repeat questions drives me nuts. Especially, with a very active group that has added 3K more members since I joined about a month ago. Now over 8K members, about 50 added everyday. It's getting too big for me to keep up, yet can't seem to pull the plug...yet

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app
I think I'm about to change my FB/EO ratios already and go back to just hating facebook again. Just more aggravation then it's worth.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Speaking only for myself, and not in any way, shape or form as an EO Mod, Facebook is evil. When Facebook first went public I took a look at it, created an account, and immediately knew it was bad news. Already knowing how it was used in academia, it was clear to me what would happen with it going public, that the whole point was to suck people in, obtain personal information from people for free, and then sell it to advertisers.

Not too long after my first look at Facebook Mark Zuckerberg stated that there is no expectation of privacy on the Internet, nor should there be. That told me that, as with most things, if it can be abused it will be, and Zuckerberg absolutely would abuse things. And he has.

And it's only become worse with his policy of political activism, including blatant censorship of political views he disagrees with. Social media has become the public square of our time, and it should be treated as such.

I won't do Facebook, and it's not because of the aggravation or the drama, as you will find that everywhere, including here, and even in personal email.

I won't engage with Facebook because they claim to "connect people" while being oblivious to real human beings.

Facebook's imperative to “connect people” lacks the one ingredient essential for being a good citizen: Treating individual human beings as sacrosanct. Something that is sacrosanct is something too important or too valuable to be interfered with or dismissed. To Facebook, the world is not made up of sacrosanct individuals, but of connections between them. The billions of Facebook accounts belong not to “people” but to nondescript “users,” collections of data points connected to other collections of data points on a vast Social Network, to be targeted and monetized by computer programs.

There are certain things you do not in good conscience do to humans. To data, on the other hand, you can do whatever you like. And Facebook does whatever it likes.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Adding to what you said Ken, FB has pillaged millions of Forum Communities, the communities they've created have no heart and no soul. amiright?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Adding to what you said Ken, FB has pillaged millions of Forum Communities, the communities they've created have no heart and no soul. amiright?
No, because they're all connected to other connections.