engines

dpea9

Expert Expediter
WOW!! I just read the current and archived posts on cummins vs cat. If you believe the posts, the cat 3126 is a piece of junk and you will be lucky if the engine makes it to 300,000 miles.It is a throw away engine as it can't be rebuilt (but it sure is strange that you can buy a remanufactured 3126 from Cat) On the other hand the Cummins is a bullet proof engine and you should not have any problems making it to 800,000 or more miles before you will have to do an inframe. I bet all you kitty owners didn't realize you had such a lemon.
Dan

me42651

Seasoned Expediter
ive got a 3126 cat in my fl-80,it has 605,000 on it still runs strong and burns no oil,i guess its how you maintain them that could be a factor.so far so good knock on wood

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They seem to be more durable than what you would think. We sold one a couple of years ago with 900,000. It is still running but is no longer a highway truck.
Currently we have two with that engine. One is currently at 700,000 with no repairs short of a alternator and a fan clutch.
The other is a 05 with 300,000 and no problems. The latter has a 400,000 mile Cat warranty, so you know they should go that far.
Additionally, they can be rebuilt if the cylinder walls aren't destroyed. Much cheaper than a replacement and if CAT does it, it has a pretty decent warranty.
If the block is shot, you are replacing the engine.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

yaaintdeadyet

Expert Expediter
Even with all the sour remarks regarding this power plant is whaqt I find interesting is "why are there are so many in use"? If this engine is such a money grinder why are so many earning money? Many used D class units married to this engine are on the table with well over 500k, 600k even 750k miles on them. Those that are for sale are often 6-9 year old units. Typical of many D units. For a throw away engine it seems to satisfy many. What am I missing?

yaaintdeadyet

Expert Expediter
Scratch that 11th word if you will. The 12th wasn't meant to be either. There's nothing like repairing a problem post haste. Excuse me folks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Cat vs. Cummins

Engine selection is can be sometimes a personal issue.

I for one like Cummins, I have had several ISBs (6BT and 4BT) and other engine models. Some of these engines I abused beyond belief and they still ran for a long time.

As I look for a truck/van or what ever I get, I decided to stay away from 3126 because;
Parts cost are a little higher than Cummins parts
The labor cost of an overhaul is 30% higher than a Cummins (ISC)
I have experience with Cummins and know their dealer network
I want a wet sleeve engine (ISC) instead of a dry sleeve engine (3126)

What I know is that there are many 3126s out there and never give any problems. I also know that anyone can get a bad engine – Cummins or Cat, a bad engine is a bad engine – remember that you rarely hear the good about something. AND I know that 3126 is no longer being made (it has been replaced with the C7) while the ISC is still being made.

KeepRollin

Expert Expediter
Dan,
Just replaced a 3126 motor with 239,900 miles on it. It did not burn any oil or show any signs of problems, then a retainer clip on a wrist pin broke and that was all she wrote for that motor.
I am not real cazy about the little cat. One problem I also had with the little cat motor was none of my local mechanics will do much work on it. They told me they need special tools to work on these motors and they did not think it was worth the investment.
Just my experiences.

Have a good day
Todd

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I heard the same things about the 3126 "AFTER" I bought my 99 FL70 with 515,000 on it.... Stupid newbie, what can I say. The second owner (who I bought it from) said he and the previous owner had babied the truck and judging by condition I couldn't argue. I now have 565k on it with no problems other than a few minor leaks (knock on wood). I talked to a driver with one that had over 750k on his with no problems and felt a little better. Who knows...