Canada Empty through Canada question

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I SHOULD know this procedure, but I don't. It would have been very advantageous to cut across Southern Ontario to pick up a load near Detroit the other day, I was sitting in Niagara Falls, NY when I accepted the load.

Does anyone know the correct procedure for driving empty through Canada ? I'm not sure that Customs would just view us as personal conveyance.

I'm assuming that there is a form and a procedure.

Thanks.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I SHOULD know this procedure, but I don't. It would have been very advantageous to cut across Southern Ontario to pick up a load near Detroit the other day, I was sitting in Niagara Falls, NY when I accepted the load.

Does anyone know the correct procedure for driving empty through Canada ? I'm not sure that Customs would just view us as personal conveyance.

I'm assuming that there is a form and a procedure.

Thanks.

Just tell them you are empty ....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reminds tho an officer can do or ask what he pleases... Once US officer asked for a manifest and told us to just write EMPTY across it. At the Champlain NY crossing.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
If your in a straight truck/tractor - they may put a tag on the box and inspect it on your way out.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I know when you come out of CA empty you fill out a the manifest using your last pro #, no stickers, since there is no load to be cleared, call the vru to set up border crossing.

I would assume it is probably similar, but maybe you use your current pro since thats why youre driving through? Just a guess though.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I go to Canada quite often and never had to use a manifest when I go through Canada empty. The only time a manifest is required is when you have freight on truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd call dispatch to possibly get the correct answer.
Seems to me paperwork is required at all borders, loaded or empty.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Must be a carrier thing. Over the last year I must of gone to Canada and back at least 50 times with no manifest when empty and no problems. I even came from Buffalo a few times empty and no manifest and no questions asked and I drive for one of the more known companies. The only time that I use a manifest is when I am loaded with freight.