Electric cooling fan

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure about the engine requirements for the switch, mine is a 6.0. I'm sure you can get an aftermarket switch, they are pretty common. 2006 uses the old type Freon so be careful not to mix. They were cold and better systems than now (my opinion).

I'm pretty sure an 06 would use R-134A. R-12 ended mid 90's?

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
To me I would always let someone check the system and charge the system who know's what that vehicle requires. Improper oiling of the compressor will shorten the life of the system and or will freeze up the compressor. That's one part of the truck that should be left to the pro's. That's just my opinion.
Over charging a system is worse that one running low.

Yeah - it's always been my reasoning, too, and is why I have no experience with over-the-counter kits. Been seeing a lot more of them on the shelves, and a lot more parking lot mechanics using them in this recent heat, so wonder if they've gotten any more worthwhile. Thanks for the reply.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is an R-134 system. I am not sure the cooling system is adequate for this van in the temps we have been experiancing. In runs about 205 down the road in any outside temp, goes up to maybe 210-215 when in stop and go traffic. Not a problem. But when I try and idle long enough to take a power nap during the day time heat, that's when the engine temp at idle goes up and up all the way to 220-230. That's when the a/c starts blowing warm, when the coolant temp is high. Thought maybe an electric fan blowing through the condensor and radiator would simulate air flow, like it ws moving down the road. Thanks for your ideas, still working on it. Maybe it will just cool down soon and I won't need to worry about it! :)

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
It is an R-134 system. I am not sure the cooling system is adequate for this van in the temps we have been experiancing. In runs about 205 down the road in any outside temp, goes up to maybe 210-215 when in stop and go traffic. Not a problem. But when I try and idle long enough to take a power nap during the day time heat, that's when the engine temp at idle goes up and up all the way to 220-230. That's when the a/c starts blowing warm, when the coolant temp is high. Thought maybe an electric fan blowing through the condensor and radiator would simulate air flow, like it ws moving down the road. Thanks for your ideas, still working on it. Maybe it will just cool down soon and I won't need to worry about it! :)

That kind of heat is really hard on any engine confined to the area that the C/Van has. Best to up the rpms and pop the hood. An engine in a C/Van gets almost no air unless going down the road, its really hard on them.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
What little I idle this sprinter I use a funnel to wedge between the pedal works fine for me it may slip off or slip a little make rpm jump or fall but most part works

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Extreme anything, heat, cold, altitude, will show any weakness in a cooling system. Bad thermostats, faulty fan clutches, dirty radiator fins, clogged radiators, cracked radiator cap seals, all will show up when in extreme conditions.

A fan clutch is worn or seized bearings can put the fan into a permanently "spinning too slow" mode, which will mean the engine runs too hot at idle, but airflow whole moving at higher speeds is enough to cool it down.

A radiator cap with cracked or worn seals will cause a slight pressure drop inside the cooling system, which raises the coolant temperature. It's most evident in high heat or high altitude.

At operating temperatures, if one side of the radiator is too hot to touch while the other side ain't that bad, you've got a clogged radiator that won't cool by radiator fan alone, and needs high speed winds to assist.

Warm air conditioning may be a symptom of a failing AC compressor or something else in the AC system, or of the cooling system. There are millions of vehicles that operate in high heat and their air conditioning works just fine without having to add a second, separate electric cooling fan. Adding a second fan is treating a symptom rather than the cause. I'd have it checked out.