Electric cooling fan

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On my Chevrolet CV the a/c works great on the road and most times through traffic. When it's 100+ degrees and I try and idle the van, the air starts getting warm. I'm guessing that I need more air flow across the condenser. Have any of you tried using electric fans installed in front to push more air through? I could toggle switch it for when I idle.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
sprinters are the same way, because they idle so low anyhow....I use my idle stick to increase the rpm's a bit....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Open hood is worth a try. I'm guessing an idle stick just pushes on the pedal a bit?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Open hood is worth a try. I'm guessing an idle stick just pushes on the pedal a bit?

That's right. I guessing you might want to idle at about 1000-1200 rpm. The problem with these cargo vans is there is a whole bunch of engine shoe-horned into a small space. Dissipating some heat through an open hood should help. A bit higher idle may also help.

Is your van insulated? Are you trying to cool the whole van?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's kind of insulated. I have one of those plastic wall liners and a covered ceiling. Not great, but stays warmer and cooler then my last van with nothing.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you have an idle stick maybe you ought to stop by the house a little more.

AAAAC5bYAPAAAAAAAFp7ng.jpg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I made mine of a piece of wood....whittled it to fit......they do sell them in some TS...hard to find these days...

I love it! When you consider all the thought and engineering that went into designing and building a cargo van, it's funny to see that it takes a chunk of wood to make it right.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Sprinter has an auxiliary electric fan in front of the condenser and the ac is still weak.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I love it! When you consider all the thought and engineering that went into designing and building a cargo van, it's funny to see that it takes a chunk of wood to make it right.

Especially these over engineered Sprinters....LOL....BUT the newer ones actually have an idle speed controller.....

Scott..that is why you have to pick up the RPM's....wait till the winter time with yours....at idle speed you'll freeze to death....

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You can get a High Idle switch from your GM dealer. It's the same upgrade that the ambulances use. Kick the switch and it will idle at 1200rpm.
It's not the fan, its the amount of Freon going through the line.
Also make sure your inside recirculating air is on and your not pulling air from the outside.
Don't know how old your rig is but could need some Freon as well.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I made mine of a piece of wood....whittled it to fit......they do sell them in some TS...hard to find these days...

I've used a number of things over the years to serve as an idle stick, usually to rev things a bit when jump-starting another vehicle; a snow brush, a 3/4" dowel from my shop, etc. Now I use, when needed, a window cleaner sponge with a handle that extends and locks. Wedge it between seat and pedal to just the right rpm...

Even then, I don't like to idle my engine (6.6 Duramax in a CV)--whether at normal or slightly elevated rpm's--for very long. Have to admit though, it's been hard not to of late with this record-breaking heat.

Not to hijack the thread, but here's some interesting info that may be of help on idling engines in general (scroll down for idling info on both gas and diesel): Idling Engines.

And another article from Indiana's gov't site about idling diesels: IDEM: Diesel Idling Facts and Myths

Not that it replaces a good AC unit, not at all, but I use a free-standing Ryobi 10" Fan w/18v Battery all the time when taking a nap or sitting in the van. Helps keep the air moving and has a nice cooling effect, that when coupled with strategic parking and open windows often does the trick, at least enough to get a nice nap. Won't always be enough, but it's kept me cool enough on more than one occasion of late.

I think I paid $29 when they were on sale at Home Depot recently. They use rechargeable 18v batteries, same as used in cordless power tools, and since I already keep a Ryobi cordless drill and vac in the van, made sense for me to get one. It's made to sit or hang pretty much anywhere. With the new Lithium Ion batts, this little fan will run most all night on one battery. They also make a nice 12v charger, and I charge one of my two 18v batts while driving. Doesn't take awfully long and it will tell you when it's fully charged.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Anyone have experience with the homeowner Freon recharge/top-off kits, available at parts stores and Walmart etc, and know if they are worth using?

To me I would always let someone check the system and charge the system who know's what that vehicle requires. Improper oiling of the compressor will shorten the life of the system and or will freeze up the compressor. That's one part of the truck that should be left to the pro's. That's just my opinion.
Over charging a system is worse that one running low.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My CV is 2006. The ac gets so cold that even with the fan off it starts freezing my left hand while driving. It's also plenty cold in city stop and go traffic, just gets warm when idling for 30+ minutes sitting still that I have the warmer air start blowing. As far as the high idle switch, I thought that was only availabe when you ordered the truck new and only on the 6.0. I have the 4.8

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe try cleaning the condenser? Just be careful not to blast it with high pressure water.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If your AC blows cold at road speeds, but blows warm at idle like at a stop light, stop sign, or a truck stop parking lot, it's most likely worn seals in the compressor, so the compressor needs to be replaced. Sitting at idle, it should blow cold. If it takes increased RPMs to get it to blow cold, it's a compressor problem.

There are other causes, like too much or too little refrigerant, excessive oil in the refrigerant, obstructions in the lines or over the condenser, even high humidity can cause reduced performance. But cold at speeds and warm at idle is classic worn compressor.

On a Sprinter, you park it in the shade, open all the doors and windows, in Neutral, all duct vents open, and controls set to fresh air (not recirculate), and have the engine idling at operating temperatures. A temperature probe into the dash vent just to the left of the radio should show between 35° F and 54° F while the compressor clutch is engaged. If it's not in that temperature range, you need to have it checked out.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
My CV is 2006. The ac gets so cold that even with the fan off it starts freezing my left hand while driving. It's also plenty cold in city stop and go traffic, just gets warm when idling for 30+ minutes sitting still that I have the warmer air start blowing. As far as the high idle switch, I thought that was only availabe when you ordered the truck new and only on the 6.0. I have the 4.8
I'm not sure about the engine requirements for the switch, mine is a 6.0. I'm sure you can get an aftermarket switch, they are pretty common. 2006 uses the old type Freon so be careful not to mix. They were cold and better systems than now (my opinion).