Economics 101

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a basic thing, just something I need to say. Recently we had a newbie-- who is probably still around and may read this-- who wanted a job as an expedited driver and wanted to know who was hiring. Setting her straight that this is NOT a regular job is a work in progress as it appears, and now she's faced with the hard fact of not having enough money to get started. Frankly, even if she didn't have the problem of what to do with an RV and a dog, I wonder how she was gonna make it to the first settlement check and still be able to eat.

With that thought in mind, for all of you newbies out there: Expedited driving is not like a regular job. You get your first settlement check--- note that I didn't say "paycheck"-- in about two to three weeks after you start driving, in most outfits. In that two to three weeks, you will very quickly have to come to terms with the fact that the truck needs fuel and maintenance, tolls have to be paid, you have to eat and so on--- and all of these expenses come up in front. You may not get paid for two more weeks--- but your truck's fuel tank is empty and the fuel station expects to be paid RIGHT NOW. Get a flat tire-- lucky you. That gets paid for right now too. So it is for most other expenses.

So, that means that before you get started in this business you need to sit down and figure out what it's going to cost you to operate for several weeks with no money coming in. Then a few weeks beyond that because--- you're new, dispatch is feeling you out to see if you're any good, and you're likely to not get the cream jobs you want for-- oh, maybe a couple of months. Figure up to half a year you may be living out-of-pocket before things start getting good, if the economy doesn't sour and the creek doesn't rise.

I'm not saying it can't be done--- I'm saying this isn't a 9-to-5 job with regular paychecks. This is Independent Contractor, 1099, you get paid for the work you do--- and like all of us you may hit fallow weeks when there isn't much work so you won't get paid much. You have to prep yourself for this--- don't come in with $50.00 to your name and expect miracles in expedited, it ain't gonna happen.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a basic thing, just something I need to say. Recently we had a newbie-- who is probably still around and may read this-- who wanted a job as an expedited driver and wanted to know who was hiring. Setting her straight that this is NOT a regular job is a work in progress as it appears, and now she's faced with the hard fact of not having enough money to get started. Frankly, even if she didn't have the problem of what to do with an RV and a dog, I wonder how she was gonna make it to the first settlement check and still be able to eat.

With that thought in mind, for all of you newbies out there: Expedited driving is not like a regular job. You get your first settlement check--- note that I didn't say "paycheck"-- in about two to three weeks after you start driving, in most outfits. In that two to three weeks, you will very quickly have to come to terms with the fact that the truck needs fuel and maintenance, tolls have to be paid, you have to eat and so on--- and all of these expenses come up in front. You may not get paid for two more weeks--- but your truck's fuel tank is empty and the fuel station expects to be paid RIGHT NOW. Get a flat tire-- lucky you. That gets paid for right now too. So it is for most other expenses.

So, that means that before you get started in this business you need to sit down and figure out what it's going to cost you to operate for several weeks with no money coming in. Then a few weeks beyond that because--- you're new, dispatch is feeling you out to see if you're any good, and you're likely to not get the cream jobs you want for-- oh, maybe a couple of months. Figure up to half a year you may be living out-of-pocket before things start getting good, if the economy doesn't sour and the creek doesn't rise.

I'm not saying it can't be done--- I'm saying this isn't a 9-to-5 job with regular paychecks. This is Independent Contractor, 1099, you get paid for the work you do--- and like all of us you may hit fallow weeks when there isn't much work so you won't get paid much. You have to prep yourself for this--- don't come in with $50.00 to your name and expect miracles in expedited, it ain't gonna happen.
Also usually that settlement check will probably be on the smaller side since you are going to have a escrow payment coming out as well as other insurances and don't forget the Qualcomm. Hopefully you have enough set aside as was mentioned in the OP.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have the Qualcomm-- most companies seem to have them but it's not universal. The outfit I drive for does take out for cargo insurance, so there is that charge every week.

If not Qualcomm--- you still have to have a cell phone at least. Many companies favor Android phones, these ain't cheap. But you gotta have something. Our newbie who found she can't start was stalled by the need to provide her own GPS unit among other things. Shoot, can't get to a place you've never been to if you don't have some way of finding it. Yes, GPS units cost. Good ones cost a bit more. You need one or you'll be lost before you're out of your home county.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I was thinking the same. Years ago, before GPS and even cell phones we managed to find our way. I remember using a pager and having to find a pay phone. LOL. We did have local directions on the QC for some customers. Oh the good ole days !!!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ragman-- I used to have a ton of those maps. The trucker's atlas could get you to the town-- maybe-- but then you needed a local map. I must have had twenty or thirty local maps before I was done doing it that way. That, and calling the police when I needed to find a place not on the map.

Reactions: vandriver2 and Moot

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ragman-- I used to have a ton of those maps. The trucker's atlas could get you to the town-- maybe-- but then you needed a local map. I must have had twenty or thirty local maps before I was done doing it that way. That, and calling the police when I needed to find a place not on the map.
I guess my point is... GPS is not a necessity, IMO.... It is a luxury. A lot of us have been driving long before GPS and we found our way.... Ya do what ya gotta do.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have the Qualcomm-- most companies seem to have them but it's not universal. The outfit I drive for does take out for cargo insurance, so there is that charge every week.

If not Qualcomm--- you still have to have a cell phone at least. Many companies favor Android phones, these ain't cheap. But you gotta have something. Our newbie who found she can't start was stalled by the need to provide her own GPS unit among other things. Shoot, can't get to a place you've never been to if you don't have some way of finding it. Yes, GPS units cost. Good ones cost a bit more. You need one or you'll be lost before you're out of your home county.
what did we do before gps.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

why so long before 1st check,first load with my comp. was on a Friday delivered Monday and got paid that wed.i don't under stand why it takes some companys so long to pay u they know you need $.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I guess my point is... GPS is not a necessity, IMO.... It is a luxury. A lot of us have been driving long before GPS and we found our way.... Ya do what ya gotta do.

You are correct. GPS is not essential, but soon after we put it in our truck, we did not want to be without it. The immediate benefit was safety as we approached drop off or pick up sites on local streets. As GPS guided us through the turns, we were able to focus more on the traffic and unfamiliar terrain around us. It was also nice to glance at the dash-mounted GPS screen for a look a few blocks ahead that could not be seen from the driver's seat.

I came to love the GPS data that displayed on the screen (miles remaining on the trip, especially but other data too). We loved the convenience of marking a newly found parking place with GPS so it could be instantly found again when the freight took us back there. For us, GPS was a major quality-of-life enhancement in the cab.

We named our GPS "Gertrude" and she was as much a part of our trip planning as either of us.

Reactions: vandriver2 and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We named our GPS "Gertrude" and she was as much a part of our trip planning as either of us.
I named my Garmin, Donny. Every time it would say "recalculating", I would reply " shut the f**k Donny".

After getting a GPS I quit buying analog city maps. I still kept my vast collection of city maps though. I have noticed since the popularity of GPS' has grown and is now common place in most vehicles, shipper/consignee directions have become less common. I will still carry a current Rand McNally Road Atlas. I will also keep old atlases. I still possess a 1978 Allied Van Lines/Rand McNally Household Goods Atlas with household goods mileage chart.

As a Cub Scout I got a merit badge or something for my map collection. I like analog maps. I wish I still had my map collection from my Cub Scout days. I enjoy seeing how much roads have changed over time. I guess since my youth I have always been one for the road!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
technology-gps-gps_systems-satellite_navigations-maps-gadgets-jsh120921_low.jpg

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I remember meeting an old expeditor at the Detroiter many years ago. Charley didn't have a GPS or maps and was a good old boy from Tennessee. He told us when he came to a fork in the road that he didn't know, he'd just stop for a second and ask God. Said he didn't get lost too often!