Dynamex question.

upsnate

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all,

I have been looking into buying my own straight truck for years and have many local and national companies to choose from here in the minneapolis/st paul area. The one that seems to stand out is Dynamex as they are a national company and seem to have a more diverse customer base and a greater ability to get me out of the cities every so often and yet keep me in the metro if i so choose. My question(s) are....

1. Is anybody familiar with them and their pay structure?
2. Are they a decent company to work for?
3. Would you rather work for mileage or percentage?
4. Am I on crack to leave UPS to start my own "buisiness"?

Everyone else answers yes to that last one but I should explain...I come from a long line of buisiness owners and it is in my blood to do my own thing. I LOVE driving and think courier/expediter work is right up my alley....Nate

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There are companys larger then Dynamextht might be a better fit.As to number 4 I say YES you are crazy to leave UPS to go on your own. Think about the benefits you will lose paricularly health insurance.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Like Rich, or, like he typed, some folks truly "need" an umbrella.
Seems to me you have a long line of business acumen. Additionally, i'm sure UPS has given you some background in work ethic over time. It's just a lot more fun "doing it your way".

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only 2 companys larger then DX...well maybe 3....Fdex, UPS and DHL...As far as expedite/courier.

They pay cheap..no U.S expedite business to speak off...and very controlling...say no and your contract will be cancelled yesterday.

I was with the Canada division for 4 years and the U.S division for one.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I worked for their TO division and found it not to my liking. As OVM said a little controlling and hated if you turned down anything. The cambridge expedite div was better and had better loads and runs, but again the control part is something you had to live with. I left as there were too many drivers for the work, too many low paying runs and they didn't like my insc setup (I owned a store at the time and had it all tied together). Went to a smaller carrier for more pay and less hassle about calls and they liked my over loaded insc.

Now on the flip side a couple of drivers who joined them at the same time are still there and doing rather well and they have adapted to the system and have learned how to make it work for them. One was doing really well with a dedicated run, but they lost that to another carrier. So she had to go back to the boards and get calls again.

Consider a smaller carrier as I have found that they are more flexible and if you do a favour they usually remember it.

Rob Fis

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I too was accused of the crack thing when I quit a good paying LTL job, giving up very high seniority and benefits. The last 10 years have been the best of my working life. I'm not making near the money, have no paid vacation, as I type this, my van is waiting for some expensive repair work, this after paying two wrecker bills. But I am still having fun and couldn't go back to a real job.

Last week a talked briefly with a driver who's brother just had leased on with Dynamex. He said he was running airfreight out of MSP. I don't know if this is a separate division from the courier/cartage or not. He said they were located in New Brighton. When Dynamex bought Road Runner; Road Runner was located on Capp Road in the Midway area.

Air freight should get you out of the Cities and into outstate Minnesota and the Dakotas, Wisconsin and Iowa.

Nate, I think you may be due for a change of wardrobe!

Good L***! And keep us posted.

upsnate

Seasoned Expediter
Moot,
That is exactly where they are located in New Brighton. I would love to do 80-85% local with a few out staters....perfect. I should say that I am with the "Freight" division of UPS which is a whole different entity. The pay is alot less and the whole organization STINKS! I'm sure you all remember the bridge collapse here in Minneapolis. We had one of our drivers on the bridge. His truck was a couple of feet behind the school bus, laying on it's side. After all the reports and stuff that driver has been charged by UPS Freight with an ACCIDENT. It will go on his company record. Talk about BS! This driver has had numerous surgeries and has to deal with the death of a friend (driver in burning truck) and they have the cajones to put an accident in his file. I have no respect for this bunch any longer.

I figure buy a decent starter truck with a few good miles on it. Stick to my Dave Ramsey accounting practices and i should be able to make an honest living. As for following strict dispatch rules....I work for UPS! Nuff said.

I appreciate all the comments and respect your views. Thanks, Nate

davegillette

Seasoned Expediter
If it is Dynamex, out of cambridge on. Dont do it . It will be the worst mistake of your life and a very big waste of start up funds.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's Dynamex in Cambridge ON (expedite) send me a PM, I can tell you quite a bit.

davegillette

Seasoned Expediter
yes its me, just thought I'd let the Michigan drivers know not to fall for DY's BS. Hope the roads treating you good. I hear from mark once in a while. thinking about hanging out over to Monroe and say high to BILL, it's getting that time again to round up a bunch of suckers. Suckers beware, get your deadheading hats on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes its me, just thought I'd let the Michigan drivers know not to fall for DY's BS. Hope the roads treating you good. I hear from mark once in a while. thinking about hanging out over to Monroe and say high to BILL, it's getting that time again to round up a bunch of suckers. Suckers beware, get your deadheading hats on.

Mark says he still hasn't got his escrow! Been what 6 months? Ya still drivin? for who?
E-1 has been good to us so far...lots of Sprinter work. CV's aren't fairing to well. Still a matter of good positioning...the LUCK word is out in here. It's all skill!!*LOL*

For the uniformed DX is a rip! Lawarence we could fill your head with nightmare stories...you don't take some advertizers cause of thier treatment of O/O's DX should be banned from this and any expediting site!

roadee

Seasoned Expediter
upsnate,
I'm from near Brainerd and was wondering how the Dynamax thing turned out?
Worthwhile or not so much?
I'm looking at a couple offers due to recent economic changes and was curious how things worked out for you.
I wish you luck out there, it's a jungle

roadee near Brainerd

Batman

Seasoned Expediter
"I should say that I am with the "Freight" division of UPS which is a whole different entity."

UPSNATE,
Is the "Freight" division the same as "Supply Chain Solutions" division?
They have ads on Careerbuilder.com for drivers in Central Indiana.

I've had a former UPS driver (now retired) comment that he felt that UPS management ate their own young.