DUTY TIME ON DAYS OFF

lrjet

Seasoned Expediter
Is it true that if you us your truck to go see the town on a day off, that it is not a day off? Are you stuck at the truck stop on your 34 hour restart rest?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We drive with FDCC and as long as we are in service the days count. We have often got pre-dispatched on a Fri for a Mon load. Gives us a full weekend to see the sights. We have not got very good at the sight-seeing stuff yet. We are going to try KOA camps etc. We did have a really nice weekend in Nashville. So far, learning the "off time" things has been one of the hardest things for us. WE ALWAYS wait it out at truck stops near an express center till we get a load. Don't want to miss one. That can be boring. layoutshooter

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RichM started a thread in the Open Forum, "Personal use of a commercial vehicle." Right now it's three pages back.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are at home you are allowed to use your truck to go to the grocery store or steak house as a personal vehicle. Why we'd want to drive a 40' truck at 8mpg instead of a personal vehicle is beyond me but that's the wording of the FMCSA regs. The catch comes with insurance. If you are on your carrier's policy they are going to want a logsheet any time that truck moves an inch, just in case.

If you are away from home you are not allowed to use the truck for personal use. I just picked up a Suzuki Burgman for off time. It's a 400cc scooter that will keep up with any interstate traffic and gets around 60mpg when broken in. A smaller and less expensive scooter or used motorcycle would get you to eating places and nearby sightseeing although perhaps not on interstates. A much less expensive option is a Dahon folding bicycle. Your radius will be limited but it will get you off the truckstop grounds.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Frieghtlinemike

Expert Expediter
""If you are away from home you are not allowed to use the
>truck for personal use.""

Why Not? This is a DOT Rule?

"I just picked up a Suzuki Burgman
>for off time."

Do you haul this in the Truck Box? Does this cut down on what you can haul?

I have a Yamaha Majesty 400, that is why I am asking?

"">Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
>OOIDA 677319
>73's K5LDB
>Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
>EO Forum Moderator
>----------
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like."

Michael

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, it's a DOT rule that says you may only use the vehicle for personal use when at home. I do plan to carry the Burgman with me all the time. It goes across the nose of the box and does cut about 30" from available space but I've rarely had a load that used the full box. To me it's worth the trade-off of 2 or 3 loads a year to be able to get around when I'm on line 1.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Leo, where is this posted on the DOT, as I understand it when the freight is unloaded you may use the truck, grocery hair cut, etc. It is also my understanding that it does not have to be logged cause your not under load or going to recieve one. Why do we pay for Bobtail?

I am willing to be proven wrong.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I think there's some misunderstanding here.

If you're away from home, you can use the truck as you see fit. However, you must log it as driving. If you're starting off at home, and want to take it on a vacation, you can use it as a personal vehicle. However, you have to cover up all DOT numbers and put a sign on it saying "Not for Hire". At the same time, I wouldn't pass by scales, as the DOT has no way of knowing it's being utilized as a POV.

The way I was told was... Once you leave your terminal (home) with the purpose of using the truck commercially, it continues to be a commercial vehicle until you return to the terminal (home). If you leave home with the truck as a POV, it stays a POV until you use it commercially.

Regardless of the DOT rules, your company may have alternate rules. Panther wants you to log regardless of it being a POV or commercial use truck. Personally, I wouldn't mess up my vacation by logging. Then again, I wouldn't take my truck on a vacation LOL

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thawk makes a good point and reviewing I see I didn't clearly express my thoughts. It is the logging requirement I was referring to. You can use your truck as a personal vehicle when home to go to the store or movies or church or whatever and DOT doesn't require you to log because it's personal use. As stated, you must cover all company markings and conspicuously mark it not for hire. When away from home you must log all usage of the truck whether it's hauling a load for the widget company or going to wally world for milk and bread. Some companies have a more strict policy because you are on their insurance. They want every movement logged no matter what and they want you to be logging legally even if on hometime. This is to cya in case of an incident with another vehicle or pedestrian or other property. I hope that's clearer and more complete.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I use my truck on layovers or off time in any manner I please, but I always log all the driving time. In the manifest area I just put D/H when doing my pleasure cruising and sightseeing away from home. Not fun at 10 MPG, but surely more fun than sitting in a truckstop. As long as you are logging the driving time, you don't have to be worried about breaking any DOT regs. The time stopped at your sightseeing point can just be logged as off duty. Denny

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The only question that I could see pertaining to the topic is #32. The errand is at your leisure, so it's off duty. I'm kinda upset that they don't go more into details about driving/off duty time when you don't have any commercial responsibilities.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I was sure I read somewhere that a CMV that was UNLADEN could be driven off duty a reasonable distance for meals or lodging but I've been all through the FMC Safety Regulations and can't find it .
There is a misunderstanding of Not For Hire status . This applies to private carriers that carry their own goods and no goods belonging to anyone else . As long as you are under contract or have your own authority you are For Hire .
Bobtail insurance can be real iffy if needed. You'd be better off asking your carrier if they would allow you to purchase unladen liability . Then when you are unloaded you are covered , no questions or grey areas .
Personal use also involves the IRS . You're supposed to record the percentage of personal use and you have to pay tax on nonbusiness use of the vehicle . I haven't heard of anyone having problems with this during an audit . Maybe someone can give some info on it .

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
From my experience, we went from MI to OH to pick up some chairs for my uncle. I called Panther to ask them about it. They told us to cover up the DOT numbers with a piece of cardboard that read "Not for Hire". They also told us to log it driving time. I believe the logging was just their policy. As I stated above, I was told personal trips are off duty.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
What would happen in case of accident ? As I said before , you are still under contract and For Hire although you would be off duty . In that case I would argue the requirement of logging driving time . You have lines for driving and lines for off duty . You can't log off duty , driving . If you logged driving at the direction of the carrier I'm sure they would be liable . A lot of sticky areas here . If told to cover your signs are you expected to cover the DOT numbers ? That's a violation . So show the numbers and whose numbers are they if checked at a weigh station ? Whose name is on the insurance card ? Not For Hire won't fly here .

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
There's no rule saying you have to have DOT numbers on a truck. You only have to if it's commercial. If you're doing personal things with the truck, then it's not commercial. If I'm not mistaken, liability covers it in case it's being utilized for non-commercial use.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
>What would happen in case of accident ? As I said before ,
>you are still under contract and For Hire although you would
>be off duty . In that case I would argue the requirement of
>logging driving time . You have lines for driving and lines
>for off duty . You can't log off duty , driving . If you
>logged driving at the direction of the carrier I'm sure they
>would be liable . A lot of sticky areas here . If told to
>cover your signs are you expected to cover the DOT numbers ?
>That's a violation . So show the numbers and whose numbers
>are they if checked at a weigh station ? Whose name is on
>the insurance card ? Not For Hire won't fly here .

This is where your Bobtail kicks in. If it is the same insurance carrier (mine is seperate) than explaine the facts and its all up to them. I have to clearly seperate the two.

Personal short trips for me, I am gona use the truck and since its personal I will let a DOT officer catch me and correct me. Since I am not underload I really do not care if he chooses to bith at me or not. Gotta buy toilet paper sometime right.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>There's no rule saying you have to have DOT numbers on a
>truck. You only have to if it's commercial. If you're doing
>personal things with the truck, then it's not commercial. If
>I'm not mistaken, liability covers it in case it's being
>utilized for non-commercial use.
Seems to me if you have a permanent lease with a carrier it's a commercial vehicle as long as the lease is in effect .

Busin4fun

Expert Expediter
were do u store it?

Just Do What Needs To Be Done and Ask Questions Later.. If you really need to know.. Be Safe

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's in the nose of the cargo box. It takes about 3' off my length but I only used the full length about once every 4 to 6 months anyway. It's worth the tradeoff to be unchained from the truck, not to mention the fun.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
EO Forum Moderator
----------