Dumbest sporting event on earth!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am not much of a sports fan, obviously, but I find some sports of other cultures rather dumb even dumber when people talk about emulating them here.

For example I was reading on the running of the bulls in Pamplona Spain and about the 2 who were gored and the 7 who were crushed by the bulls.

Who in their right mind would get in front of animals that are running that weight more than 10 to 12 times your weight and have horns?

All these bulls lead to one of the most horrific and brutal sports arena in existence, the bull ring where the bulls are tortured and die anyway – not much of a sport when you realize the outcome is the same and seeing it first hand is even worst.

The amount of American idiots, who try to be like Hemingway amazes me, even though I read somewhere Hemingway just wrote about the event, never participated in it – maybe he wasn’t that out of his mind from all the drinking? I watched one interview that this guy saves up all year to go to Spain just to do this.

We really should have some spectator sports like they do, like Jet Skiing with alligators or the Russian roulette team challenge with a single shot pistol.

But again, we are the uncivilized culture.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
For the life of me, I have always wondered why you would want to do this. Everytime I see it on sportscenter, I've wondered what possesses human beings to want to do this, and I do laugh at these idiots, no matter how hurt they are/get. I know that's not nice, but it takes a special type of non-thinking individual to run with bulls that are looking to trample your guts out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
MADRID (Reuters) - Women in the northern Spanish city of Pamplona, world-famous for its ferocious bull-running festival, are demanding their own version complete with cows instead of bulls.

How dumb.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
The running of the bulls is an ancient tradition. It's just how they show their courage. It's all for that adrenaline rush, and to say "I did it". Every culture has had similar rituals, expressed in different ways. Some cultures ride logs down a mountainside. I'm sure they can't understand why some people jump out of perfecly good airplanes on purpose, or jump off a bridge with a giant rubber band attached to their ankle.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"The running of the bulls is an ancient tradition."

I wouldn't go so far as saying it is an ancient tradition but it is an old tradition, but so is dueling.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well in that case I think boxing is another stupid sport where 2 people enter a squared ring and bash the crap out of each other until one is rendered unconsious or surrenders.
Human race really hasn't progressed like we'd think we have...still have alot of Roman in us. Its in our nature.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
You said it right, it's in our nature to compete, and to prove bravery. Whether it be fighting, racing, dualing, running, even job promotions.. there is something within us that must conquer,that must win, and must show our worthiness and braveness.

Some people have it to a lesser degree, and some don't like to admit it... but it is the same basic instinct that gives rise to any competition.

It's also why we want fast cars, fast bikes etc. For the adrenalin rush, and to let us know we're still on the right side of the dirt.

A life lived safely may let you live longer.. but dang is it boring.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
I can't remember the last boxer to be beaten unconcious, or surrendered, but hey, I work two jobs, I miss a lot of TV. Jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft and bungee jumping are two of the other dumb things I won't be doing in my lifetime...but for all you adrenaline junkies, go for it...

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I don't remember his name either but I remember the guy who he was fighting: Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini...from Youngstown, Ohio