Drug Testing for Vans

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand that many carriers require van/$printer drivers to have CDLs. Does this put those drivers into mandatory drug testing ?
If not, do any carriers require it?
It’s a minor inconvenience, and a minor cost. I wonder if some insurance companies might require it.
What do you guys think?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Load One does not require CDLs for vans, yet we are subject to mandatory drug testing (after an accident) and random drug testing, just like everyone else.

See Question #1 (well, mainly the answer)

Random Testing

Reactions: Solar and Grizzly

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
I'm sure there are companies who require CDL's for vans, but it's not very common. That being said, drug testing is mostly for insurance purposes. But major accidents in any commercial vehicle usually will result in a drug test.

So if you're trying to find a company that doesn't drug test, don't waste your time. Either way you will always be subjected to drug testing.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMO the majority of expedited van operators on the road do not get drug tested. Not as a condition of employment or randomly.
I've never been tested ...

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got thinking about the drug testing and thought I’d read about vanners needing CDLs.
I must have been confused with medical cards. Having had both for 42 years they just go hand in hand.
I passed a drug test last Monday. Never feared them.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IMO the majority of expedited van operators on the road do not get drug tested. Not as a condition of employment or randomly.
I've never been tested ...

If I had a company I’d want random drug testing for anyone working under my direction. Anyone I could legally require to be tested.

Reactions: Ragman and Grizzly

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand that many carriers require van/$printer drivers to have CDLs. Does this put those drivers into mandatory drug testing ?
It’s a minor inconvenience, and a minor cost. I wonder if some insurance companies might require it.
What do you guys think?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you guys think?

Ya know, it would be a good idea if it was part of one's insurance compliance. Commercial policy = drug test.

guido4475

Not a Member
What do you guys think?

Ya know, it would be a good idea if it was part of one's insurance compliance. Commercial policy = drug test.

Exactly. And non commercial drivers should be required to take a drug test immediately after a accident as well, zero tolerance. The way most people drive nowadays, I'll guarandamtee you most of them are on something.

And dont get me started about people not realizing their lights aren't on in the dark, either.

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never been tested, and don't know any van drivers that have.

That being said, I'd test my employees for sure and possibly owner operators. Such an obvious risk reduction

guido4475

Not a Member

That being said, I'd test my employees for sure and possibly owner operators. Such an obvious risk reduction

We vanners are subject to random drug testing at Load One. Our vehicles are also subject to a DOT inspection twice a year.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

We vanners are subject to random drug testing at Load One. Our vehicles are also subject to a DOT inspection twice a year.
Ouch. No problem with a drug test, but a DOT inspection, I'd leave.

I'm perfectly capable of fixing my van, I generally replace anything suspect every time its slow. mechanics are only out to make a profit. I still have no ABS sometimes and loose plastic around my steering column (making a good sharp hit necessary for signal lights) that's what I got for paying $1400 on a safety

At least they fixed the axle seals pouring oil all over my brakes

(Edit: I'm perfectly ok with over 10k yearly inspections. Its law. Safety checking my van with some 17 year old "mechanic" is not)

guido4475

Not a Member

Ouch. No problem with a drug test, but a DOT inspection, I'd leave.

I'm perfectly capable of fixing my van, I generally replace anything suspect every time its slow. mechanics are only out to make a profit. I still have no ABS sometimes and loose plastic around my steering column (making a good sharp hit necessary for signal lights) that's what I got for paying $1400 on a safety

At least they fixed the axle seals pouring oil all over my brakes

(Edit: I'm perfectly ok with over 10k yearly inspections. Its law. Safety checking my van with some 17 year old "mechanic" is not)

Keep a vehicle mechanically perfect and inspections aren't a threat. Load One Van drivers can get the inspection done at either Load Ones shop, or a DOT certified shop of the drivers choice.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Load One has a shop! New to me. Maybe they don't lie to their drivers about mechanical faults, that would be a plus

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't drink and drive, actually don't drink at all anymore, don't smoke weed and drive since the 60's/70's, BUT, if you are off duty and it is legal to do so..........

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
Lol. I'm forbidden by the wife. Which probably helps my driving :D

Reactions: ntimevan