drug and alcohol testing

jezzy

Seasoned Expediter
im looking to start expediting and wondering what kind of tests are done for driving a cargo van. they tell me i need a chauffeurs license and need to pass a physical. what are the tests they do some say non-dot and some say dot what are the differences and do you have a urine or blood tests. where do you get the tests at? ive talked to express 1 panther ctx expressway etc. thanks hope to see ya on the road.

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
No such thing as a chaufers license anymore, at least on the federal level. You don't need a CDL to operate a cargo van, unless you will be transporting Haz Mat. Some states may issue special licenses to light duty commercial drivers.

You will need a DOT physical to get a DOT medical card. A drug test is not required for below CDL driving, although the carrier will certainly require a pre-hire test.

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
Yes , you will have a pee test !
From what I understand most drugs stay in your system for up to 2 months ! ( Sometimes longer, depending on the drug )
Alcohol I believe it is 1 month ( please do not Qoute me on that ) !
Also, some testing have instaneous results...
I applied for a job at a Hospital in Spartanburg, SC.. They had me pee test and they had a machine there that was 99.99 % accurate and they knew the results in 10 minutes ! I read some of the info on the machine while waiting for the resluts !
Have to list everything you have taken too !
I laughed becaused the only thing they found was Aleeve in my system..
I have not had any alcohol or illeagal substance in over 23 years !!
Thank God !!
Good luck
rmctt2

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
If there is any "concern" about what the results of a test may be, keep in mind that you will most likely also be subject to randon, unanounced drug testing. This is standard for any driving job.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

its more than likely it federal guidlines.you will have a test before you start and be subject to randoms.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Anyone who is "worried" about taking a drug test should find a different line of work. This isn't professional sports where you might get a suspension and a slap on the wrist. It's basically a one-and-done deal.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Jazzy,
If you live in Michigan, you will need to take your chauffeurs license test first and then the CDL.

Express-1 will be one of the few that will accept a chauffeurs license instead of a CDL, all others will need a CDL.