dropped phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Not just your average dropped call. This time I dropped the phone on a gravel parking lot and shattered the glass face of the touch screen (Motorola Droid X). I thought for sure I would wash my bluetooth ear-set in the laundry before destroying my phone. The question--how rugged is the touch screen itself? The touch screen still works, but I'm not sure how critical it is to keep the protective glass layer that is shattered in place. If I pick out all the broken glass of the protective layer, would this effect the function of the touch screen or is it just an additional layer of protection?

eb

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Don't take the glass out, just take the phone to Best Buy or a similar place and get the screen replaced.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You sure you didn't drop it under a sledgehammer or something? :D Corning Gorilla Glass is nearly impossible to scratch, but it'll shatter is a heartbeat if you drop it just right, even from a foot or so.

The touch screen itself is not rugged at all. It's a delicate electroconductivity layer and the oils on your fingers will quickly ruin it.

You do have the insurance, right? If not, you might be able to get it replaced. Search the various Droid forums for replacement glass and see how it goes. Or perhaps Best Buy as Paul suggested. I dunno.

The Droid Bionic is due out in two days, tho. :)

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
If it was flat pavement, the phone may have survived, but the large gravel was like a hammer blow. I had a stick-on screen protector and that seems to be what is holding all the glass together.

When the library runs me out of this air conditioned space this evening, I'll head over to the air conditioned space at Best Buy to see what they offer.

eb

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think Best Buy does repairs like that but they may steer you to a place that does. Try kijiji in your area they usually advertise there.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I don't think Best Buy does repairs like that but they may steer you to a place that does. Try kijiji in your area they usually advertise there.

The Geek Squad in Best Buy handles all repairs, the only issue is if they have to send it out.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Here's what I have found so far. The Best Buy I stopped at doesn't work on cellphones, but they told me where to find a cellphone repair shop. I haven't been there yet. There are replacement screens available online for anywhere from $35 to $50. It sounds like the glass is glued to the electroconductive layer, so I think my phone isn't going to just die as long as I keep it dry and don't crush it again. I'm going to hold off on trying to replace the screen until I find another used backup phone that I can fall back on if I mess up the installation. One problem I see is finding the right replacement screen. Motorola and HTC use the same screen, but some people complain that their screen arrives, but the built-in connector ribbon doesn't fit. I suspect that the screens are the same, but connectors are different, and some vendors are selling the wrong screen for the particular phone. We'll see.

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You sure you didn't drop it under a sledgehammer or something? :D Corning Gorilla Glass is nearly impossible to scratch, but it'll shatter is a heartbeat if you drop it just right, even from a foot or so.

The touch screen itself is not rugged at all. It's a delicate electroconductivity layer and the oils on your fingers will quickly ruin it.

You do have the insurance, right? If not, you might be able to get it replaced. Search the various Droid forums for replacement glass and see how it goes. Or perhaps Best Buy as Paul suggested. I dunno.

The Droid Bionic is due out in two days, tho. :)

Out of curiosity are the screens on the phones glass? If so why am I put a plastic screen guard on my phone

Camper

Not a Member
Out of curiosity are the screens on the phones glass? If so why am I put a plastic screen guard on my phone

I believe most of them are made of some form of plastic/plexiglass. The main concern as far as breakage is the liquid crystal display just beneath the screen.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, the glass is Gorilla Glass, manufactured by Corning. It's very scratch resistant, but can be brittle and will shatter when dropped (I've dropped mine half a dozen times with no problems, tho. I do have a Seidio case on it, but others with cases have had their screen shatter, so it's more of how it hits than anything.). There are videos on YouTube of people thoroughly abusing the screens with car keys and the like, to no avail.

Early smartphones, especially going back to the early Palm Pilot days, they have relatively delicate screens made of plastic, plexiglass, or a soft-ish polycarbonate, which scratched easily especially with something as hard as metal, and would get microscratched over the entire screen to where they looked fuzzy, that kind of thing. Screen protectors make a huge difference with softer plastic screens. When the protectors got scratched and fuzzy you just replace the protector.

With these new phones, screen protectors are more or less a waste of money, yet people still get 'em and put them on. Some because, "Well, that's just what you're supposed to do, right?", some because it makes them feel better (and it's a cheap feel-good), others because they don't realize that the protectors don't really do anything, and others because they more or less know a protector won't do anything for Gorilla Glass, but carry their phone in their pocket with their keys and change (so I do when out of the truck) and are so anal about scratches that for $12 it couldn't hurt.

The screen protectors do have one benefit, though, the screen won't look as oily and smudgy (from your fingers) and you won't feel like you need to clean it all the time with a microfiber towel or something. I got over that obsession after about two weeks, and now clear it when it needs it rather than when it's got the slightest finger smudge. But mine is 18 months old and the screen is pristine.

Here's a poll with plenty of comments that illustrates all of the above. :)
DO you have a screen protector on? - Android Forums

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yes, the glass is Gorilla Glass, manufactured by Corning. It's very scratch resistant, but can be brittle and will shatter when dropped (I've dropped mine half a dozen times with no problems, tho. I do have a Seidio case on it, but others with cases have had their screen shatter, so it's more of how it hits than anything.). There are videos on YouTube of people thoroughly abusing the screens with car keys and the like, to no avail.

Early smartphones, especially going back to the early Palm Pilot days, they have relatively delicate screens made of plastic, plexiglass, or a soft-ish polycarbonate, which scratched easily especially with something as hard as metal, and would get microscratched over the entire screen to where they looked fuzzy, that kind of thing. Screen protectors make a huge difference with softer plastic screens. When the protectors got scratched and fuzzy you just replace the protector.

With these new phones, screen protectors are more or less a waste of money, yet people still get 'em and put them on. Some because, "Well, that's just what you're supposed to do, right?", some because it makes them feel better (and it's a cheap feel-good), others because they don't realize that the protectors don't really do anything, and others because they more or less know a protector won't do anything for Gorilla Glass, but carry their phone in their pocket with their keys and change (so I do when out of the truck) and are so anal about scratches that for $12 it couldn't hurt.

The screen protectors do have one benefit, though, the screen won't look as oily and smudgy (from your fingers) and you won't feel like you need to clean it all the time with a microfiber towel or something. I got over that obsession after about two weeks, and now clear it when it needs it rather than when it's got the slightest finger smudge. But mine is 18 months old and the screen is pristine.

Here's a poll with plenty of comments that illustrates all of the above. :)
DO you have a screen protector on? - Android Forums

I have the original Droid with seidio case. I assumed screen was like older phone or opossums which do get scratched. Oh well the protectors I use only cost .96 cents

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I don't know what kind of protectors others are using but I use the anti-glare one.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I also have the original Droid, but with an extended battery and case from Seidio. Like I said, I've dropped mine a few times, on asphalt or concrete, once on the kitchen floor, but several additional times here in the van, but onto the carpet in here. Usually when I drop mine, it's the equivalent of an instant battery pull, as it doesn't take much of an impact to dislodge the case and the battery along with it. But that impact absorption by the case and the dislodging of it may be what has kept mine from shattering, I dunno.

I decided from day one that since Gorilla Glass doesn't scratch very easily, and that I was likely to not too roughly abuse a $500 gadget, that I'd go without the screen protector. I haven't considered getting one since. I know several who got them at first, then 1-3 months later the protectors came off and never went back on. I know others (like my brother) who religiously keep fresh protectors on their phone. For my money I don't think it matters either way. They don't help, but they certainly don't hurt, and they just might help. I'd certainly change my tune if my keys or coins managed to scratch the glass, tho, but that's been shown to be unlikely to happen.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nice to know I'm on my fourth cover lol
When I got the phone I bought a case at the same time. I think it was a BodyGlove, but I can't remember. It was what Verizon had available with it. That thing lasted about a month before the little tabs broke off. The Seidio case has been no problems.

I miss the soft, poofey leather case of the old clamshell phones. You could drop-kick those across the parking lot and they'd be fine. Someone (in another forum) mentioned that the silicone gel type cases were a little better at actual protections for that kind of thing, not that I'd recommending drop-kicking you phone or anything.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
When I got the phone I bought a case at the same time. I think it was a BodyGlove, but I can't remember. It was what Verizon had available with it. That thing lasted about a month before the little tabs broke off. The Seidio case has been no problems.

I miss the soft, poofey leather case of the old clamshell phones. You could drop-kick those across the parking lot and they'd be fine. Someone (in another forum) mentioned that the silicone gel type cases were a little better at actual protections for that kind of thing, not that I'd recommending drop-kicking you phone or anything.

Funny I bought the body glove case too and it broke

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
I've had a DroidX for two years. Dropped it a few times. Never used a cover or screen protector. No scratches, no nicks, no nothing; screen looks like new!

Status
Not open for further replies.